What's new

Margarita sizing

This is probably a silly question but the wife and I enjoy margaritas, however the classic 3-2-1 margaritas takes about 2 minutes to drink because it's like 6oz.

Whenever you go to a restaurant they have these huge glasses filled to the brime.

So my question is what did they add to their margaritas? Or do they just double/triple the classic?

In my neck of the woods, those huge restaurant Margaritas are blender drinks. They have a lot of ice in them.

Most cocktails that are served up or over are in the range of 6 oz. Slow down pardner. Enjoy the ride.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
In my neck of the woods, those huge restaurant Margaritas are blender drinks. They have a lot of ice in them.

+1, even if on the rocks.

I make a 2-2-1 margarita, but usually a shot of each. It's a sipper, for sure!

This is probably a silly question but the wife and I enjoy margaritas, however the classic 3-2-1 margaritas takes about 2 minutes to drink because it's like 6oz.

Whenever you go to a restaurant they have these huge glasses filled to the brime.

So my question is what did they add to their margaritas? Or do they just double/triple the classic?

Same amount of liquors, but they stretch the drink with a lot of extra water (or ice), sour mix and simple syrup.

You're much better off in most chain restaurants asking for a "traditional" margarita, which won't be a giant 20oz abomination, but will likely be a tastier, potentially more well-crafted cocktail with the proper proportions.

Of course, finding a good (likely non-chain) Mexican restaurant that makes proper margaritas and has an extensive tequila list is the best bet. ;)

Here's a 3-2-1 that'll take longer than six minutes to drink.
3 gallon bucket
2 fifth bottles of your favorite tequila
1 bottle of your preferred sweet and sour mix
Ice if you want it.

Do keep in mind that it is highly recommended to share this drink and not try to finish it off on your own! Good luck and enjoy!

3,2,1 seems like a good ratio to me. My favorite recipe is lets say 3 Herradura Tequila, 2 Cointreau, 1 Fresh Lime, sweetening optional or to taste with Agave Syrup. Shake vigorously, Enjoy slowly. Restaurants can really botch a Margarita by adding crappy sour mix and cheap triple sec. I am usually disappointed in how they make em.

Last edited:
I have found that the larger the glass, the less the alcohol. They are trying to sell you on quantity and not quality.

The IBA (IBA Official list of Cocktails) standard is 7:4:3, that is, 50% tequila, 29% Cointreau, 21% fresh lime juice.

If you can drink more than one, you're a better man than I am.

There is a restaurant near here that makes big margaritas that are really good and really cheap. The best tasting ones I make at home are the 6 oz ones. Its probably like the 3:2:1 version though I don't really measure. I'm sure they have the same amount of alcohol in them as the big ones. I never got on with any of the store bought mixes.

You get that 3:2:1 is just a ratio, right? You don't have to use ounces. If you want a larger than 6 oz. drink, just up the volume of each part. 4.5 oz., 3 oz., 1.5 oz. or even bigger 3 cups, 2 cups, 1 cup.

Top Bottom