What's new

Mama Bear's Soaps

+1

I have Ye Olde Barbershoppe and Spellbound Woods, the scents are beyond words and I love them, but both sting and burn the hell out of my face if I face lather, bowl lathering and then brushing it on doesn't seem to bother me. With that said, I can't seem to get a good shave from MB soaps, I mix it up and it's beautiful, thick, slick and by all accounts perfect lather, then I proceed to brush it on and start shaving and bam..halfway through the first pass it dries up, I have to keep re-lathering my face every half pass or it starts skipping and dragging and tears me up. I want to love these soaps because they smell so damn good, but I'm at a loss.

I have the same burning feeling if I face lather as well. I'm in a hotel right now (my house is temporarily uninhabitable while crucial repairs to the floors and the bathroom are made) so I didn't take a bowl. I really wish I had, today's shave was terrible.

I tried them a while back and was not a fan. The smell was amazing though. Rosemary-peppermint and Hinoki Wood.

MB soaps are wonderful! Excellent value. The quality is only slightly less than high end soaps I own, but performance is just as effective. At half the price, it's a bargain. IMO, soaps from MB you have to have:

Autumn Lodge - my favorite all-time scent
Amber Romance - a close 2nd
Ye Olde Barbershop
Dragon's Blood
Aged Spice
Spellbound Woods (unfortunately my face has a reaction with this one and I can't use it)
Woodland Pear

As for sticks, the soaps themselves can easily be transferred to a stick. Sue even sells the sticks with instructions on how to do them. I'm in the process of doing some so I have some travel soaps. All in all, they're a great buy!

I ordered some MB Aromatic Tobacco from GeoFatBoy yesterday. That together with Geo Trumper Moisturiser and some Italian Talco. Can't wait! I just wish we Aussies could purchase goods tax free like the Yanks. Mind you, the delivery costs can kill....but I must admit, not as much as GST.

I have been using her Dublin Tweed for almost a month now, and I love it. It is my favorite scent of all my soaps My water is really hard which can make lathering some soaps a bit of a challenge. However, if I start with a drier brush and use a bowl, Mama Bears has always produced lots of quality lather for me. To me, it isn't the most moisturizing soap ever, but it is very slick and provides a nice cushion.

When I was first getting into DE shaving, I picked up a puck of the Pipe Tobacco scented soap. I LOVED the scent, and I thought I was getting good shaves but as I began to branch out into the tallow world I found that I got a better shave there. While I sometimes look at Sue's site and enjoy reading the scent descriptions I've come to realize that FOR ME I'm better off using a mild scented soap/cream and a stronger scented AS. YMMV...

I recently ordered a couple of tubs for myself as I was buying some holiday gifts for relatives. For allergy reasons, I have to stick with her essential oil soaps (synthetic fragrance and I do NOT mix). I purchased Marauders Citrus and Amyris EO. Unfortunately it turns out I have an allergy to Amyris oil.... sigh... so I gave that one to a buddy (he's enjoying it) . That Marauders Citrus is real nice if you like bay rum and it blends surprisingly well with tangerine oil. Very subtle. and pleasant. I'm also finishing a tub of Caribbean EO that you can't get anymore. Two thumbs up for Mama Bear!

That is too bad. The synthetic fragrance versions of many soaps are cheaper to purchase and do really smell good. Since your allergies evidently include some EOs as well, I would suggest keeping a puck or stick of a unscented shave soap around. Both Mama Bear and Honeybee sell unscented soap pucks/sticks. I say this because a few of my allergies came on after repeated exposure to things like penicillin (not to most shave soaps, thankfully -- at least the ones I have tried). You could find after using a half of a puck of scented soap that you have developed yet another allergy, if you have an unscented puck or stick around you would at least have shave soap until you order a different EO scent and you also could use the unscented until the rash disappears so you can ascertain almost immediately whether you are allergic to the next EO you try.

I've using the lime EO sample all week and love it

imagejpeg

I have several of her shave soaps, but my bath products from her far outweigh the shave soaps lol. I just cannot get enough of the scents, also very nice on your skin as I have some what dry skin some times and well since using some of her products in the bath I no longer have those problems. Well worth the price, I think all together I have enough of her products to last me 5 years easily lol

decided to order a Sampler Pack 6 of the everyday fragrances... should be here by the weekend so I'll get some experiences with MB's different soaps.

I have read a bit about Mama Bear's shaving soaps, so on Monday evening I went over to the website and place an order for a couple stick and the "Ice" sample pack. While I was there, I also looked at the other soaps and thought that a few of them might make a great Valentine's Day gift for my bestest friend, my wife. Well, I didn't order as many as I wanted, so I got into an e-mail back-and-forth conversation with Susan yesterday about adding some more soaps for my sweetheart. I won't get into details, but let's just say that Susan was way more than patient with me.

Anyway, I received a package today from Mama Bear and there are my ice samples, the two sticks, one of the bath bars I ordered, a note telling me that the other bar had an ingredient she didn't have, so it was backordered, and then something I didn't order - 4 little guest bars as samples for my patience.

Wonderful service, I am impressed, way above and beyon. I haven't used the shave soaps yet, but they smell great. One of the samples will be used for my shave tomorrow.

Kudos to Mama Bear Soaps and Susan.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Top Bottom