What's new

Making a hone

Got me a square of slate from lowes, and had the guy slice out 2 3 inch wide slabs of it. Total? 2 bucks (ok, 4 bucks since I got 2 squares, 4 slabs...) so, after 45 minutes with the DMT 325, I got a 12 inch long, absolutely flat plate of smooth stone. We'll see how she hones/shaves later (tonight?). Either way, a dollar well spent if it works, you know? Plus I have extra!

Don't be surprised/disappointed if your slate doesn't wind up being a super finishing stone. Though if it does... we may have to make a trade!

Got me a square of slate from lowes, and had the guy slice out 2 3 inch wide slabs of it. Total? 2 bucks (ok, 4 bucks since I got 2 squares, 4 slabs...) so, after 45 minutes with the DMT 325, I got a 12 inch long, absolutely flat plate of smooth stone. We'll see how she hones/shaves later (tonight?). Either way, a dollar well spent if it works, you know? Plus I have extra!

Tell us how it goes! I think it all has to do with where the slate was quarried depending on the mineral content and density. Even the Vikings used slate to make there hones for sharpening their weaponry, and since that's my ancestry it seems fitting to follow tradition. Even if it may not be as fine as some other stones I think you will still end up with a decent stone to progress on to your finer ones.

Here is the few synthetic whetstones I have made (lighter colored ones), and two others that I bought. One is just a plain old 220/1000, and the other is a 10-12k whetstone that came from Poland which is just a beautiful stone. Although the picture doesn't do it justice.
The synthetic stones I made are a somewhat coarse grit. The larger one is a medium grit, and the edge broke broke off of the large one when removing from the mold. The plain white one was an attempt to make more of a polishing stone. :001_tt2:

Attachments

• $0 (8)edit1.jpg
    $0 (8)edit1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 219
  • $0 (6)edit1.jpg
    $0 (6)edit1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 219
  • $0 (4)edit1.jpg
    $0 (4)edit1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 221
Here is the few synthetic whetstones I have made... The synthetic stones I made are a somewhat coarse grit. The larger one is a medium grit, and the edge broke broke off of the large one when removing from the mold. The plain white one was an attempt to make more of a polishing stone. :001_tt2:

Is the small tan one the same "somewhat coarse grit" as the large one? They look the same color is why I ask. Are they made the same way, or is a different binder used? All of your stones look very nice by the way. What "grit equivalence" would you give the ones you made (based on scratch pattern, shave quality, etc.)? This is fun Mack! I still haven't gotten around to ordering any abrasives, and now that I have the slate hone, I am a lot less inclined to hurry about it... It would still be cool to get a "super finisher" made... something in the "less than 1 micron" range... like a 0.5 or 0.3 micron. :001_smile

Is the small tan one the same "somewhat coarse grit" as the large one? They look the same color is why I ask. Are they made the same way, or is a different binder used? All of your stones look very nice by the way. What "grit equivalence" would you give the ones you made (based on scratch pattern, shave quality, etc.)? This is fun Mack! I still haven't gotten around to ordering any abrasives, and now that I have the slate hone, I am a lot less inclined to hurry about it... It would still be cool to get a "super finisher" made... something in the "less than 1 micron" range... like a 0.5 or 0.3 micron. :001_smile

Actually yes the dark smaller one is the same as my first I tried. The funny thing is, is that when brand new out of the mold it was very fine on the surface. But after using it it has became more coarse. Maybe a mid range grit. And the two are made of that fluffy fine foundry sand. The white one actually is only ceramic that was molded with plaster of paris and then cooked. It's more of a polishing stone than a hone, but hey it was just an experiment. The big one i made with a higher binder to abrasive ratio to make a softer grit.

I think this is pretty cool a few of us are honing in our whetstone skills. After a few of us start making decent quality stones, I think it would be really cool to make a swap meet. Kind of like people who do online fishing lure swaps. Like say if I was the host and there were 4 of us with decent hones. Each of us would make 4 stones of the same kind, send them to the host. Then each of us would get 4 different stones sent back. I think I explained that right. lol... I don't know just an idea.

As for that 12 inch hunk of Lowe's slate...it ain't no finisher. Turns out to generate scratches such that I'd argue it's between the norton 4k and 8k for sure. This after taking it to DMT 325, then several laps of 600 wet/dry, then 800. That makes it pretty darn cool, but in just exactly a spot that I don't need ;) while doing this I was watching a movie...this is the weirdest part...had the Netflick in hand for a week

Wait for it

"True Grit", I kid you not!

As for that 12 inch hunk of Lowe's slate...it ain't no finisher. Turns out to generate scratches such that I'd argue it's between the norton 4k and 8k for sure.

That's what I found with my piece of slate too... It's an area that I had been missing (no 4k/8k stone) so I am pleased as punch! Did you find it worked quickly? I had said before that mine worked quickly, but quickly compared to a Chinese Natural or a Spyderco Ultra Fine is a relative term I guess... Also, mine generated a slurry by just using a blade on it, did you find the same?
You know, if you like the slate, it may allow you to sell the Norton 4k/8k and pocket the difference... or buy some dark black slate (or other stuff), for "free". :001_smile

Mine didnt raise much of a slurry, I couldn't really see the residual metal either, given the slate color. Next time I go, I'll see if I can find a different stack to look thru, or maybe try Home Depot, or maybe a different company altogether...they are so cheap, it is tough not to try ;) if I end up with a few 6k footlongs when I'm done, who cares? Maybe I'll PIF them or give them to my kids when then are old enough to shave with a straight.

Ok fellas, the mystery stone is on its way to Mack. I still have a piece for ID purposes and really want to get more of that!

More rocks will go out in the following order, providing you guys are still interested:

Papafish
Pkrankow
Hammertime1
Wid
Gamma

There will be a delay of probably about a week in between each, as I want to make sure the rocks actually act in a desireable manner, not to mention there may be a little trimming involved.The next 2 will be lizardstone jasper... or looks like it. The stuff is really, really, really hard and breaks in slowly. (Lapped a little ridge off a slab with a 200 grit diamond plate. I swear the rock was laughing at my effort. Half an hour later the stone was "flattish".) When I say slowly, it's on the order of a thousand laps or more to have some decent progress. If Mack uses the stone I sent him as is, then I believe we may hear complimentary things. It's mostly broken in after over a dozen razors finished. Patience will be needed, but I will try to do a little break-in beforehand.

All I ask in return is that you work with the stones as you can and share info and experiences. They are all related stones but I imagine some varieties may work better than others. That knowledge is where the value lies.

Absolutely I am up for it! I am more than willing to do some comparisons to the other stones I have. It sounds like the jasper is some hard stuff, so it should require very little maintenance once lapped (kind of like my Chinese Natural stone). Make sure you are lapping them wet to prevent the diamonds from being dislodged (because then 1000 laps will equal roughly NO progress...). Thanks for the opportunity Jeff!

Absolutely I am up for it! I am more than willing to do some comparisons to the other stones I have. It sounds like the jasper is some hard stuff, so it should require very little maintenance once lapped (kind of like my Chinese Natural stone). Make sure you are lapping them wet to prevent the diamonds from being dislodged (because then 1000 laps will equal roughly NO progress...). Thanks for the opportunity Jeff!

I'm looking forward to hearing about it as much as you are to trying it. The lizardstone is breaking in a little faster than expected and looks like it will be a good finisher. And yes, the stuff is hard! I'll leave it to you guys to decide if you want to lap them. I just had to remove a tiny step in the original cut before I was even willing to run a razor across it. Almost a perfect mirror finish on the last 2 razors and I helped them out a little at the end with 25 laps on 50k diamond/leather. They are shave ready now, guaranteed! That was probably a little excessive, but I like a really keen blade. The mystery stone didn't need that and gave me an excellent finish, shave ready without stropping when I tried it. But it also probably had a couple thousand laps on it (the stone had a couple thousand laps, not the razor) by the point I realized that possibility. I'm hoping these will work out as well for you guys.

Tomorrow I take the lizardstone to get it trimmed into 2 pieces and will continue to work them some this week. After that, you guys can tell us about the long term care and feeding.

Last edited:
Can't wait to try out your mystery stone Jeff. I will definitely give you as much feedback on it as I can. One thing I noticed on my natural stone when lapping it. It's a really heavy and hard feeling stone but when sanded it makes a fine chert quite easily. I'm thinking maybe taking a strip of coarse sand paper with might be a good way to pick which rocks may be good hones, and it will give a quick idea of what it may look like after being cut.

Last edited:
Can't wait to try out your mystery stone Jeff. I will definitely give you as much feedback on it as I can. One thing I noticed on my natural stone when lapping it. It's a really heavy and hard feeling stone but when sanded it makes a fine chert quite easily. I'm thinking maybe taking a strip of coarse sand paper with might be a good way to pick which rocks may be good hones, and it will give a quick idea of what it may look like after being cut.

You couldn't post a pic of that stone, could you? And if you tap it lightly with something hard does it make a fairly high pitched sound? I'm just wondering what you have. Did you say it is a Cnat?

And my lapidary artist is backed up. Won't get the stones back until next weekend. S'okay, one side is somewhat broken in at least.

Oh... when I am eyeing stones, it's the lack of visible crystals I am looking for and extremely fine internal structural complexity. You'll get the idea by the middle of next week. The mystery stone is a perfect example.

Last edited:
I had it ordered from Poland from a guy that orders the stone from the Guangxi province of China, and he cuts them in bulk. I absolutely love the stone because it's so smooth and makes a nice milky slurry. It does cut a little slow, about half as fast as most synthetics but it puts a very keen edge on my blade. Looks beautiful after I lapped every side. Feels smoother than glass from using the slurry stone that's cut from the same stone.

Attachments

• $0 (14).jpg
    $0 (14).jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 177
  • $0 (12).jpg
    $0 (12).jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 178
  • $0 (16).jpg
    $0 (16).jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Looks nothing like my Cnat, and you got a slurry stone! My stone is matte and light gray in color. Maybe I should lap the thing and try it again.

Phil

I've have bought two Cnats from that polish guy, one 150x50mm and a nice 8x3". The small one is nothing special, but I lucked out on the big one, it's a really really fine finisher.

I only have a SOTD picture of it:
proxy.php

By blix72 at 2011-10-08

I received a natural hone from Jeff today. I used it on a razor I had bought and had not sharpened yet, so perfect for a test honing. It's a very hard stone, very beautiful and seems pretty smooth. Hard to make a slurry but still seemed to cut well. I could shave with my razor after this stone, but not quite as fine as my cnat (but then again I lucked out because my cnat is 12k+). I would guess to compare this stone that Jeff gave me to be in between 9-10k maybe. Again that's just a comparison, But I am very suprised how well it worked. Made a nice transition stone to use before my finishing stone. I can't thank Jeff enough for letting me try this stone, and I still have to use it more to give a full report on what I notice. Thanks Jeff!

Attachments

• $0 (7).jpg
    $0 (7).jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 172
  • $0 (6).jpg
    $0 (6).jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 171
  • $0 (5).jpg
    $0 (5).jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 172
Top Bottom