What's new

Mail call from Alberta

My new Wolfman arrived!

It's a WR1 SB polished, with a WRH1 polished handle. My first shave with it will be tonight, I can hardly wait!

I'm sorry for the poor quality of my photos, but I had to post them!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

That's a brushed finish stand that I bought from a forum member, I have a polished stand on the way now.

I just finished my first shave with the Wolfman, and the first word that comes to my mind is WOW!

The details:

Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB w/ 0.61 mm (standard) blade gap w/ WRH1 handle, all w/ polished finish
Blade: Gillette Nacet, fresh from the package
Brush: Wolf Whiskers custom w/ Shavemac 2 band silvertip knot
Soap: Barrister & Mann - Cologne Russe
Aftershave: Barrister & Mann Reserve Cool

My daily driver for several months now has been an Above The Tie Atlas R1. I had read that the standard blade gap on the Wolfman razors was pretty similar to the R1 ATT head. I know can see that it really is very similar. The Wolfman was every bit as efficient as the R1, but it felt quite a bit more comfortable to me. Just about every review I had read up to this point has proven to be true.

The audio feedback was a lot better than I thought it would be. When I first saw how close to the cutting edge the Wolfman head clamps the blade, I thought for sure that the feedback would be greatly attenuated from what I was accustomed to with the ATT. But it really wasn't that much reduced, the feedback was quite good. And all that feedback helped to make finding the right angle, or at least an angle that worked pretty well for me, quite easy. I would say that the angle that I used was a little steeper than I was using with my ATT, but not a whole lot.

The handle was a pleasure to use! The knurling looks quite deep, but it didn't feel at all sharp, just nice and grippy. Anyone who is familiar with ATT's Atlas handle knows how sharp and grippy that knurling is. This knurling was every bit as grippy but I can't imaging it would ever feel uncomfortable for even those with very sensitive skin. The fact that the handle is a bit thicker than the Atlas helped to make my grip feel even more secure.

The head is quite a bit slimmer than the ATT, and that did make maneuvering around tight spots a lot easier. I think that the ATT feels a bit more head heavy, but that didn't prove problematic for me at all, I guess YMMV.

I really think that anyone using an ATT R1 will find moving to this razor both simple and highly rewarding.

After 3 passes I ended up BBS, no weepers, no nicks and no cuts. I did have just a bit of irritation right under the rear corners of my jaw, no doubt due to this being my very first shave with this fine instrument. I am really looking forward to tomorrow's shave, I am confident I'll be able to dial this in fairly easily, and the second shave on a Nacet is always better than the first.

Will this end up being my daily driver? I am almost certain at this point, but I will know for sure soon enough.

Very nice review. Thanks! James does good work. Good observation about how the blade is secured right up to the point the blade exists the head. Timeless and Wolfman do that, and I think that plays a part in blade rigidity, and thus how great these razors shave.

If those are poor quality pictures, then that's got to one of the most beautiful razors in the world! Congrats!

Top Bottom