What's new

Magnums and other extra-large pipes

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Does anyone on here collect magnums or really large pipes? I mostly have small to medium pipes, and have one magnum (unsmoked though; it's a collectible birth-year pipe) but lately I'm getting intrigued by the idea of going big. If you have giant pipes, what do you like about them (other than the 3-hour smoke they give!).

So let's see your monsters. As always, pics welcome, especially with other items included for scale.

I have a 1/2 a dozen Savinelli Hercules pipes that are quite a bit larger than average. I also have a couple of giants, I don't have to make a judgement on the biggest as it has "Giant" stamped on the stummel. First pic is 3 of my Hercs and the second is the two biggest with a Savinelli 614 for scale. I find big pipes smoke cooler and are much easier to clean.

0209171549.jpg

I have an MM MacArthur I got about 10 years ago. Haven't smoked it yet. Trying to figure out when I'll have 6 hours to set aside for it.

I've been looking at this monster on SP for weeks. I can't imagine how long it would take to smoke a full bowl.

Most of mine are medium-ish, with a couple notable exceptions. I have two Radices with chamber dimensions of about .85" x 2". Honestly, I rarely load these up with full bowls, but there have been a couple occasions - mainly when I'm going to be out and about. So, yes, the 3 hour smoke is the draw for me, when I do feel the need.

Last edited:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have a few larger than normal pipes, a Savinelli 611EX, a Boswell freehand, a XXL IMP, and an custom egg from Dave MacArthur. Back when I had free time I would enjoy filling up one of these and drinking half of a pot of coffee.

I have a ginormous Custombilt. I don't really smoke it all that often, because it's like trying to smoke with a club in your mouth.

I also have a large Rick Black Poker made out of Morta. Though that looks bigger than it actually is.

Would a Dunhill Group 5 count?

Years ago I had the pleasure of owning a few of Bill Taylor's Ashton magnums. Here I am about 20 years ago, with the largest bent he ever made. Robert Hamlin, who wrote an internet bio of Bill Taylor and Ashton pipes, said that smoking a magnum is a unique smoking experience, and so it is. All of those I had are long gone, and I'd say that for me they are too much of a good thing. YMMV.

me1.jpg
me2.jpg

It has been pictured in these hallowed halls before, but my David Jones is the closest I've got. The tobacco chamber is 15/16" by 1 5/8" so it's a bit shallow to be a true magnum. I enjoy the length of smoke, but I really just like the way it feels in hand. There's no temptation to clench in spite of the surprisingly light weight of the pipe, which forces me to slow down and enjoy the experience. There's over 3/4" of briar surrounding the chamber so it never gets hot either. The bigger bit also has a good feel to it.

What I bought as a well priced novelty that I'd smoke rarely, turned into a pipe that I reach for as often as I can.

The comparison pipe is a Pete 408.
IMG_20170209_172016001_HDR.jpg

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Would a Dunhill Group 5 count?
I think of group 5 pipes as medium-large, but far from the Magnum size. On the Dunhill scale, I'm thinking more like ODA or ODB (although those technically aren't size designations; but everyone I've seen is bigger than a group 6 and most of them by quite a lot).

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
And you thought cleaning up a little tooth chatter on that eBay score was tough.
:) I only have two previously owned pipes, both of which I got at an antique store when I got my rack/tobacco container (the one that looks like the wheel of a sailing ship). The first was a Butz Choquin billiard, and its stem was perfect. The other is the bulldog (I forgot what it is now, I think it is a second of some company that starts with a B- Micah ID'ed it, I think) that is rapidly becoming my #2 pipe. That stem took some work, but it came out great.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
If you want a massive pipe you might look at the Ardor Giants. They are insanely huge... I really want one of their Meteora pokers. I've held one and it is as big a beer can! Here's one example of their hugeness...
proxy.php

P.S. Not my picture and the pipe on the left ain't exactly tiny...

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
IMG_0708[1].JPG

Top left: "Symposia" di Mauro Armellini
Middle: Oscar 622 KS Savinelli
Bottom Left:"Brogue" Ben Wade
Far Right: for comparison, Kaywoodie Drinkless 188

The big ones are just for the collection, rarely smoken.

Last edited:
Top Bottom