What's new

Maggard Razors Limes & Bergamot, surprisingly excellent

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
About one month ago my friend Jason (Bloozepicker) asked me with a PM if I wanted to test and evaluate a US Artisan soft soap from a brand called Maggard Razors, which I've never heard about until then. I answered positevely, saying that I was happy and excited to try a new soap, especially when Artisan made in the Italian style. My expectations for this novelty, honestly speaking, were not too high but I soon realized that I was wrong. Terribly wrong. This soap is simply exceptional and has been a huge surprise for me. From what Jason told me Maggard soaps are hand-made in Michigan (USA) by an Artisan called Maria Arman and sold on the Maggard Razors web-site. At the moment there are five scents available and I selected the Limes & Bergamot for my test, being a huge fan of citrusy fragrances. The jar Jason kindly shipped me arrived at the beginning of this week and I used it for four days in a row before arriving at this thread, with my final thoughts. So, let’s start with a brief presentation of the product. The soap comes housed in a large sturdy plastic jar, weights a good 5 Oz, brings the Maggard logo on the top of the lid and shows the details of the manufacturer and ingredients list on the sides of the tub. Nothing fancy or elaborated, just a simple, well-made jar. To my eye it seems perfectly OK, but a vintage style labelling would certainly make it much more interesting and cool to look at – just an opinion. Price point is quite reasonable at $12.95 and the short ingredients list with only 6 ingredients (stearic acid, coconut oil, water, lye, glycerine, essential oils) makes it very intriguing and close to what you see on high quality Italian soft soaps. Well, this soaps actually behaves like a high quality Italian soft soap. Not only, it produces an outstanding tallow-like lather without being a tallow based soap! Latherabilty is not an issue at all, Maggard’s soap is as easy as pie to lather up properly and abundantly, especially if you follow the Italian Master Barbers technique for soft soaps. The lather from start to finish is stable, thick, slick and fully effective for an enjoyable wet shave with both DEs and straights. The scent is a lovely and sweet citrusy mix of Lime & Bergamot. Something unique with good body and longevity that follows you for the entire process. Where however Maggard’s soap really shines is the moisturizing department. You get a silky soft skin afterwards, as when using a great tallow soap and this is something quite rare among vegetable soaps, even the best ones. What else to add? I’d love to see this soap available in two more fragrances: a pure English Rose and a traditional US barbershop scent. In conclusion a superb all round soap that definitely deserves my seal of approval.

P.S. Below a couple of vintage-style SOTD pics with my beloved Simpson Chubby 1 Super and Fatip Piccolo.

$M1.jpg

$M2.jpg

Marco,

Your word comes with a lot of weight and I completely agree with your sentiments regarding this fantastic soap. I used it tonight for maybe the 8th time total and it is nothing but quality. It also happens to be the softest soap I own (even softer than Cella), and is one of only 2 veggie soaps in my rotation. I currently use it with a Muhle V2 synthetic, but I feel that it needs a good badger or boar to reach its full potential.

I feel that everyone should give it a try. It's a homage to Italian soft soaps and exudes a dignified, if understated, quality. I would buy it again on quality of lather alone, but the scent is intoxicating! Truly a product to stand behind. Plus, it has the Marco seal of approval! What more can you ask from a soap? :thumbup1:

Marco-I have been using the Maggard Limes & Bergamot since they came out. I totally agree. It has become one of my "Top 5" soaps. The owners, Brad and Casie, are also great to deal with and give excellent customer service.

Bob

proxy.php

Marco, great review, I've been thinking about this range and also favor the Limes and Bergamot, happy to hear you really like it.

It is a great soap. I bought it a few weeks ago and I love it. The scent is sublime and the shave has been excellent each time I've used it.

Thanks Marco for the wonderful review, I have just been looking for another quality soap to use.
I have been looking for some NOS of Yardley (hard to find), but will give the Maggards Liliac a try..sounds like a great product.

I enjoy reviews that have a "I didn't have very high expectations for this, but I was surprised at how good it was..." theme, especially when it involves reviewers trying products from other countries. It's a great example of how much we all have to learn from each other, and how fortunate we are to have such an awesome community of worldwide artisan producers and reviewers.

Purchased the sampler along with a sample from Through The Fire, who made the soaps. I've got to 3017 two TOBS, some Musgo Real tubes, and MWF before I get to them, but I'm looking forward to it.

I got a sample and got absolutely the best shaves with incredible aftershave feel. I just assumed that this is a tallow soap and I have to say that I am dumbstruck finding out that this is a non-tallow soap!

Great review, Marco! When I ordered, they were out of the Lime, but I have used their Mango Sage Tea, and their Orange Menthol - both awesome soaps!!!

*raising hand in confession* I am a complete Maggard soap junky. Only one I don't use regularly is the Lilac (not my thing scent wise), but I PIF'd it to a friend. Really love them! Would drool if they come out with a Bay Rum!:thumbup1:

Based on your review, I used mine for the second time this morning....excellent!!! Gobs of slick lime lather. Great shave today!!!

Limes and Bergamot is my favorite Lime scent of the several that I have tried and the performance is fantastic. The other Maggard offerings are of equal performance and I rather enjoy the scents. My daughter is drawn to the Orange Menthol and I really enjoy the Mango Tea as well. I use one of the Maggard's weekly; mostly the L&B.

Top Bottom