What's new

Looking to get into restoration

Hi all,

I got the brush in the pictures below in an antique shop in part of a set I bought mostly for the Old Spice mug and vintage Williams soap.

I've never tried my hand at restoration, so I have a few questions-

Are any special tools required?

What's the average cost for a decent knot?

What would be good measurements for an "average" knot?

Is there a thread detailing the process?

Is this a brush even worth restoring?

Looking forward to your thoughts-

Attachments

• IMG_1255[1].JPG
    IMG_1255[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1256[1].JPG
    IMG_1256[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Inquiring minds want to know...

I'm interested in seeing a detailed thread, too, since I have a handful of brushes that belonged to my grandfather that are not in usable shape. I would love to restore them to working condition, but a little leery of just diving in.

How did it go? Sorry just saw posting this morning. As for tools I use a Dremel and a drill are main ones; then varying degrees of very fine sand paper. To polish the handle I use two grades of rubbing compound and hard shell turtle wax. Installing the knot is done with two part epoxy sold at the depot. Some people use silicon to set the knots I don't (each to there own). I like to re-paint the lettering with model paint. Is that a crack is the brush? If so, be careful it can be catastrophic and can take all the fun from brush restoration. For synthetic knots I've purchased them at Maggard's and tuxedos from a seller on etsy. The Golden Nib sells badger and boar knots. As for if its worth it; at least you can learn on it. There are some brushes I would not do again; not due to brand, but construction. Have fun with it and take your time.

See above! Even if it is a crack, go and do the knot removal and polish/finishing on the brush. It's worth the experience. If its a big crack, maybe don't set a know, or try and repair the crack. But the other steps are extremely valuable for future restos!

Top Bottom