What's new

Let's see your bird pictures!

back to the wetland this morning, no thermos needed, 75 deg, just short sleeves and short pants; ok, a styro cup of dunkin donuts coffee!

again, all with d5, sigma 150-600mm, at iso's 32000 and down to 10000, some at 300mm, others at 600mm.

proxy.php

[MENTION=63248]sarimento1[/MENTION]
Excellent! And 75, that's like over 20 in Canadian! If I remember right last weekend out taking my shots it was -12, so about 9 or 10F ish.

Anyway, at such a high ISO, what are you cleaning up with? I need something better surely, as at 1000 and above I get so noisy I can't clean it. Which by the way, both those shots were at 1000.

thanks for the words, cash.
the d5 is amazing at high iso.
the shots posted were processed in adobe lightroom, with noise reduction slider at '50' value.
here is with and without the noise reduction.
part of the trick of noise management is to shoot at good exposure, even a bit to the 'right' of the histogram.

proxy.php

I think dropping to f/2-2.8 is a good idea too? Those above were 5.5, and I've heard keeping the numbers low and getting exposure speed up more helps a bit?

I think dropping to f/2-2.8 is a good idea too? Those above were 5.5, and I've heard keeping the numbers low and getting exposure speed up more helps a bit?

correct, shooting birds, generally calls for fast shutter, wide open aperture.
in my case, the 150-600mm lens is only as wide as f/6.3 at 600mm.

other factor, is that stopping down a little bit, rather than widest open, will give better depth of field in-focus of wing-to-head.
most all of the newer cameras/sensors will give decent results at higher ISO's than ever before, which makes possible shots heretofore unobtainable.

Here's a shot from the fall. This red tail hawk had quite a few photographers snapping away. He sat in the tree for the longest time. Of course I was zoomed out all the way. but even at 200mm on a crop sensor, I had to crop into the photo quite a bit.

$Red-Tail-Hawk.jpg

Couple of recent photos of a sulphur-crested cockatoo that had been having breakfast at the neighbours.

Moved to get a better shot when he noticed me, and took off :blushing:

Took camera to work yesterday (Friday 03 Feb 2017) and got a sighting of a couple Bald Eagles (one juvenile, one adult).

$p2194802618-4.jpg

$p2194802624-4.jpg

$p2194802633-5.jpg

Yes the juvenile did catch a fish.

Pentax K-1 with Sigma 50-500mm lens.

went out this morning to test a new DX body, nikon d500.
all with sigma 150-600mm.
first blush, new nikon generally performed great, super fast, good autofocus.
noise response seems ok, altho not as impressive as big brother, D5.

proxy.php

Top Bottom