Leather experts: How do you relax a bend out of a thick piece of Latigo?

Discussion in 'Strops/Stropping' started by trick420, Jan 18, 2012.

1. So I have a bunch of Latigo that I got from the scrap bin, and most of it's good, but it's been thrown in a bin, so it has a few bends in it in places. I cut a very long 2 1/2" strop piece from it, and it doesn't want to lay flat. There are no creases in the leather, just a bend. Right now it's been sitting overnight clamped flat to my bench with another piece of wood over it and three clamps to hold it dead flat. Will this work? Do I have to treat the leather with something to get it to relax? I really don't want to because the draw is just right at the moment. I checked on it this morning, and it still doesn't want to lay flat, so I just reclamped it and left it for the day.

What's the best way to relax latigo?

Jeff

2. Legion

Legion Moderator Emeritus

I'd try just pressing it first, then hang it with a weight for a while, maybe in the bathroom with steam. If it is just a bend that should sort it out.

3. i straightened a cupping strop by wetting and placing it on a flat surface with a board on top with heavy weights on top. it worked perfectly when allowed to dry without disturbing the thing. it took mine a couple of days to dry, if i recall. best of luck.

4. Thanks you guys. The leather in question is now a strop that is owned buy Paco664. Hopefully he'll get the last of the bend out of it.

5. i was thinking about since its hanging i would tie a 20oz soda bottle full of water to it to provide the weight......

6. Yep, that should do it.