What's new

Lapping film, try it.

I should have read more of the thread before I ordered, I got the Zona kit off Amazon and there it is on page 114 that it doesn't work. It's not a wasted purchase as I can still use it, it's a very good cloth, but the curious mind want's to know why they won't work, but the acetate ones do? I tried and tried to set a bevel, even went to the 30 micron, but nothing, like I'd not even touched it. May just have to order the sample pack with the PSA on it and just deal with the cleanup of the sticky residue.
WHat razor are you trying to set a bevel on?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I should have read more of the thread before I ordered, I got the Zona kit off Amazon and there it is on page 114 that it doesn't work. It's not a wasted purchase as I can still use it, it's a very good cloth, but the curious mind want's to know why they won't work, but the acetate ones do? I tried and tried to set a bevel, even went to the 30 micron, but nothing, like I'd not even touched it. May just have to order the sample pack with the PSA on it and just deal with the cleanup of the sticky residue.

Try wet/dry sandpaper for bevel setting. 2k grit if the edge seems already in good shape. 600 grit then 2k for a new razor unless it is a GD or similar. Or for a vintage razor that has a badly worn or rounded edge. Coarser for a damaged edge or a new GD. A very light spritz of 3m spray adhesive holds the paper on the plate quite well.

Thor labs is a dependable source and you get Lab Snacks! There are other vendors and tbh I don't remember who I last ordered from.

Whatever you got, if it won't hone a razor it will still be good for polishing etc.

WHat razor are you trying to set a bevel on?

Try wet/dry sandpaper for bevel setting. 2k grit if the edge seems already in good shape. 600 grit then 2k for a new razor unless it is a GD or similar. Or for a vintage razor that has a badly worn or rounded edge. Coarser for a damaged edge or a new GD. A very light spritz of 3m spray adhesive holds the paper on the plate quite well.

Thor labs is a dependable source and you get Lab Snacks! There are other vendors and tbh I don't remember who I last ordered from.

Whatever you got, if it won't hone a razor it will still be good for polishing etc.
Razor is a W.R. Case Real Red Point that needs a re-scale. I posted pics in a thread about my "Thrift Store find". It was 'almost' shave ready when I got it and I did a partial shave with it. I was stropping it and me and my stiff arthritic fingers let if fall onto tile, it was then no longer close to shave ready, my pocket knife was sharper. I set the bevel using my Arkansas soft last night and did a few runs on my arkie hard, using your (Slash) balsa info I think I could shave with it now and it wouldn't be too bad, but it is still far from sharp. My arkies are a knife sharpening set, and I'd really rather keep the finer razor honing to it's own stuff, but can't afford a new complete set of ark's, hence the attempt at film (paper). I've got enough to manage bevel sets down the road, I may just get me a couple sheets of 9um and finer for the finish work. I've been using the 'paper' to polish my knife blades, it's great for that. I've got some woodworking projects I'll use it on as well. Thanks guys.

I don't know if any members are still selling kits but this is what you want. Get sheet kit 2 and you'll have them all and and that plexiglass base I posted a few posts up.
http://www.bestsharpeningstones.com/catalog/Lapping Film.htm

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...ww.ebay.com/itm/CELL-CAST-AC...sAAOSwQTVV~nGC

Have you bought, IE... had any experience with Best Sharpening Stones? They got bad reviews at a knife forum I frequent, but that was last year so was curious. A sample pack like that would be perfect for what I'm looking for. Thanks

Have you bought, IE... had any experience with Best Sharpening Stones? They got bad reviews at a knife forum I frequent, but that was last year so was curious. A sample pack like that would be perfect for what I'm looking for. Thanks
No I have zero experience with them. I just saw they were offering a set of the film.

Ok so, Im doing something wrong. I got in my film kit today. I started working on the gold dollar I have here at the house, I had managed to put a chip on the very edge of the blade. I started with the 12m and I got the chip out no problem, worked great, I thought I was home free.

I started progression from there and i cant get it sharp enough to cut arm hair... Honestly, right now, Its just barely sharper than a butter knife...

IS there a specific way to use these things? Do they need to be wet? I saw some youtube videos that wet them and some didnt...

Top Bottom