What's new

Kriss Kross SE Razor

Found a Kriss Kross razor on ebay at a very reasonable price and thought I would try it out. I read in a couple of different places that it would take a Schick injector blade like the Christy razors. Unlike the Christy (and most other razors), it had a pivoting handle. Prior to it arriving, I seeked out [MENTION=107383]efsk[/MENTION] who I consider to be an expert on slants. Was surprised to find out that there was a difference between a slant razor and a diagonal razor and even though he did not have a Kirss Kross (yet), he said it was a diagonal razor because the head tilted, as opposed to the blade itself being torqued by the shape of the head. He did tell me that for a diagonal razor, the tilt should be closer to 5 - 15 degrees and not 45 - 50 and like slants, I should not change my stroke.

It arrived today in pretty good condition and so only a couple of hours soaking in Dawn was sufficient. Loading the blade was not an easy thing. First I had to learn how to open it. The top cap did not flip open like the Gems nor did the base plate slide out like the Christy. Finally I figured out that you had to press the big C shape piece in the back of the head just at the right spot to have it open the front of the head just enough to be able to slide a blade in. The good news was that it was the right width to fit an injector blade in it. The bad news was that there weren't any hook at either end to lock the blade in place (unlike the MMOC using an injector blade). There were two nubs, but these were rounded and the blade could slip past it if opened too widely. After a couple of tries, I was able to align the blade properly.

$DSC01286.jpg

Next step was to try out the pivoting mechanism. To pivot the head to "kamisori" style, there was a notch that locked the handle in place, however to move the handle to a diagonal positon, it was just a large clip that held the handle at whatever position you put it at by friction and nothing to click it in place like in the "kamisori" mode. I guess the good thing is that you weren't limited to only certain angles. The bad thing is that I wasn't sure if the head would stay in place while shaving.

$DSC01287.jpg$DSC01288.jpg

Okay so only thing left to do was to shave. First pass was WTG and I started out with the head in the diagonal setting. I was surprised how mild the shave was, but apparently something was being done. I adjusted the angle and got a little more efficient. Unlike the Gem types, following the shape of the head was not the optimal angle. I found that I had to use an angle slightly shallower than the shape of the head. The other side of my face using the T angle went better but because I found the correct angle.

Second pass was ATG and this went better. I found halfway through the diagonal side that there was no major difference in the shave and so switched it to the T angle for the rest of the shave. Again, the shave was very mild and at some point, I realized it was too mild and so checked the blade. I had to reseat the blade as it got pushed back probably while I was adjusting the handle angle.

I decided that for my touch up, I was going to switch to "kamisori" mode and that was an absolute mistake as there was no way I could judge the angle and it just did not do any cutting. After rinsing off, I found that there was a lot of stubble left and so I had to finish off with my Gillette Guard.

Not the best of shaves, however I already have a rematch planned. I got the idea from the other thread in this Forum about using half DE blades in an SE razor. I took a used DE from my razor bank and snapped it in half and fit it in. Will report back if and when the rematch happens.

If all else fails, look for the razor in next year's Saint Sue's auction.

That one actually looks more refined. I notice notches on the area where the handle rotates so you can have standard angles, and the head looks more open for better blade exposure, but now the opening looks too wide to secure an injector blade. BTW, I did try measuring a de-spined Gem and it was too big.

Thanks for this great review @gvw755 !

If you still have a Kriss Kross on your list, I would look for the one that TobyC showed as it appears to have addressed a lot of the problems I found with the one I got. The main problems is that the open area on the bottom plate might not fit an injector blade too well, and there appears to still be a problem with the edges not being hooked to secure the blade from sliding forward. the one I got just seems to be a dead end with too much compromises without giving better results.

They made two different razors, this is the one I would like to try.

View attachment 720024

That looks like something from The Clone Wars.

Thanks for the review, gvw755. Sorry the results weren't as good as the overall appearance of this razor. It is one of the more unique and interesting that I have seen, though I agree that you would want to be able to lock in consistent angles without worrying about head movement.

Does the Kriss Kross make you jump, jump?! But seriously, does it use other blades besides the injectors, or do the original blades not exist anymore?

If you still have a Kriss Kross on your list, I would look for the one that TobyC showed as it appears to have addressed a lot of the problems I found with the one I got. The main problems is that the open area on the bottom plate might not fit an injector blade too well, and there appears to still be a problem with the edges not being hooked to secure the blade from sliding forward. the one I got just seems to be a dead end with too much compromises without giving better results.
Being a slant collector I probably need both :)

That looks like something from The Clone Wars.

Thanks for the review, gvw755. Sorry the results weren't as good as the overall appearance of this razor. It is one of the more unique and interesting that I have seen, though I agree that you would want to be able to lock in consistent angles without worrying about head movement.

Does the Kriss Kross make you jump, jump?! But seriously, does it use other blades besides the injectors, or do the original blades not exist anymore?

They had their own unique blades, and you could sharpen them on the Kris Kross sharpener, which is more well known than the razors.

Okay, so part 2 of my great experiment or "how I could blow $30 in two weeks doing something useless". I got in the newer version of the Kriss Kross razor. While it was easier to pinch open the top cap, again, there were no hooks or stops to prevent the blade from moving. The top cap being put further back of the guard did create newer problems such as making securing an injector blade harder. I finally had to use an old trick from straight razor honing and place some electrical tape across the back so that the head would secure the blade tighter.

$DSC01309.jpg$DSC01311.jpg

When shaving WTG with this version of the razor, it was still a very mild shave and not especially efficient. Going ATG was a totally different story as the blade began to shift (like the first one), and I had to stop to line it up properly. Since I was doing it anyway, and since there wasn't anything to hold it back, I did move the blade more forward and it did make the razor a little more aggressive, however not more efficient. After three passes and touch up that almost became a fourth pass, I come to the conclusion that at it's best, the Kriss Kross may not have been the most efficient razor to begin with even with it's own blade.

Some folks say that you can cut a Gem blade lengthwise below the spine, and I did that with a discarded blade and it will fit with the original model, however the newer model required snipping the edges too and it still was not totally secure.

Sorry [MENTION=107383]efsk[/MENTION] maybe in your hands you might get better results, but this was way over my shave grade.

So what, if anything, held the original blades in place?

Not having seen an actual blade, I'm not sure. I know that in the later version, there are two notches at the back end near where the head spring pivots. In the early model, the head does not open very wide. As I mentioned before, there is nothing in front to keep the blade in place and so I am thinking that the exact width of the blade held in place by friction by the head is what kept it in place, not unlike most Gem razors. The difference is that all Gem razors had hooks on the front part of the guard to hold the blade in place.

One question that I have is that there are tons of the sharpeners available and a lot of the razors, but nobody seems to have blades and I wonder why that is.

I've seen a few on ebay, not recently, being sold with the razor, usually just one used one. They were just a simple rectangle with one sharp edge. I think they show a Gillette three hole blade in the instructions for the sharpener. Which is kind of strange, unless they were just showing that they would work for other blades as well as their own.

Top Bottom