What's new

Kingsbridge tobacco contaminated?

I just opened this pouch of Esoterica Kingsbridge that I've had lying round for several years and I immediately noticed some white streaks in some of the tobacco. Not sure if you can tell from the photo.

proxy.php

The pouch appeared to be securely sealed, but I suppose it might have had a pinhole or other defect in the seal that was not visible. There is no untoward odour to the tobacco, in fact it smells quite good to me. I am going to try smoking it later to see what it's like, just wondering if anyone has seen this before?

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
That looks like sugar crystals or plume to me (both of which are signs of well-aged tobacco and are OK to smoke). Can you take a close-up photo of some of the white pieces?

Agreed as well, looks like plume from what I can tell. If it sparkles it's plume and that's what you want to see.

Also on esoterica bags they are notorious for pinholes. If you want to keep them in the Mylar bag of recommend shoving them in a mason jar or a airtight sealed bag used for food reservation. I'd hate to hear of an Esoterica story on B&B about a loss.

Can't really tell from the photo, but it could be plume?

That looks like sugar crystals or plume to me (both of which are signs of well-aged tobacco and are OK to smoke). Can you take a close-up photo of some of the white pieces?

Agreed as well, looks like plume from what I can tell. If it sparkles it's plume and that's what you want to see.

Also on esoterica bags they are notorious for pinholes. If you want to keep them in the Mylar bag of recommend shoving them in a mason jar or a airtight sealed bag used for food reservation. I'd hate to hear of an Esoterica story on B&B about a loss.

Plume. I've had several bags from esoterica that are like that.

Wpodbrodge most recently

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Thanks, gentlemen! I'll try to get a closeup shot later. One more question if I may, I understand about the formation of sugar crystals, but what is plume?

ps - I'll try a test smoke later and let you know how it goes. :001_smile

Plume is the formation of the sugar. They are one and the same. That KIngsbridge looks ruined to me. You better send it my way for proper disposal. No need to thank me, I'm always glad to help. ;)

Looks like plume to me. I've been smoking some Ramsgate that is quite a bit whiter than that. It's not furry, so it must be safe. If it isn't safe, we've all got to die sometime and what a way to go.

Plume is the formation of the sugar. They are one and the same. That KIngsbridge looks ruined to me. You better send it my way for proper disposal. No need to thank me, I'm always glad to help. ;)

Thanks, Ronnie. I appreciate your selfless concern, but my conscience would not allow me to put you at risk of any accidental exposure to this obviously dangerous material. This 'questionable' tobacco has now been safely isolated in a mason jar. :001_smile

Looks like plume to me. I've been smoking some Ramsgate that is quite a bit whiter than that. It's not furry, so it must be safe. If it isn't safe, we've all got to die sometime and what a way to go.

Thanks very much for your comment, Nate! That is just the reassurance I needed. :thumbsup:

Okay, I have been smoking this stuff since last night and I must say I'm enjoying it very much! It's my last pouch of Kingsbridge so I want to try to make it last.

My thanks to everyone for your help in educating me regarding 'Plume'. You would think that someone who has been a pipe smoker for as long as I have would have known what Plume is by now.

Happy puffing, gents!

Plume is good, plume is your friend.

Just tonight I was jarring up some fresh full Virginia flake. This pic shows the top flake was jarred in January 2015. The bottom, same Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake but fresh. See how it ages, that grey spot shimmers in the light and is plume, just like yours.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
Top Bottom