What's new

Kansas City get together

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Hi Wendy! I think he had the River Market in mind. http://www.kcrivermarket.com/ Of course the Hall's Crown Center is pretty close also but, I haven't been there in a while so I'm not really sure what shops are in it anymore. Maybe other's can chime in on this?

What's on the Plaza is the AoS store. I've been to it as well as the one on Union Square in SF. Not a big fan of AoS, but I'd be up for anything that would make for the greatest/happiest turn-out.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It shouldn't be this hard.

You guys might consider posting another thread with a poll, where you have 4 or 5 months picked out.
Tell folks it's a poll to nail down the KC get together.

Once you have a month nailed down, poll for a weekend in that month.

By then you should have attracted the attention of anyone who is reasonably interested in going. Redirect them to your get together planning thread to hash out activities.

Just a suggestion.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
You guys might consider posting another thread with a poll, where you have 4 or 5 months picked out.
Tell folks it's a poll to nail down the KC get together.

Once you have a month nailed down, poll for a weekend in that month.

By then you should have attracted the attention of anyone who is reasonably interested in going. Redirect them to your get together planning thread to hash out activities.

Just a suggestion.

Great suggestion. Thanks, Phil!

I have an opportunity for everyone here.

I'll be in MCI soon and would like to meet a few people. I am proposing a Sunday morning breakfast/brunch on April 14th. Would anyone be interested?

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I have an opportunity for everyone here.

I'll be in MCI soon and would like to meet a few people. I am proposing a Sunday morning breakfast/brunch on April 14th. Would anyone be interested?

That should work for me. Would be great to meet you in person.

Bumping this one more time before I'm in town - are people interested in a breakfast/brunch meetup on April 14th? Probably somewhere downtown where I can walk/drive.

Bumping this one more time before I'm in town - are people interested in a breakfast/brunch meetup on April 14th? Probably somewhere downtown where I can walk/drive.

I am stuck in St Charles, the one and only soccer game played on a Sunday is that Sunday at 10:00am, my daughters playoffs. If her team was not battling for first I would have a friend take her, but I would never hear the end of it if I missed the playoffs and her team taking first place which I am pretty confident they will do.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!

I can't commit yet, but let me know via PM where/when you might meet-up and I'll try.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I'm not sure where the larger-meetup planning stands. Chris invited me to step into the discussion and try to take the lead.

I'll suggest a possible alternative scenario. Let me know your thoughts.

I live in OP between Metcalf and Nall at about 130th (directly south of the Sprint campus). Texaninkc and AgBill have been to my place. I have ample of sinks and surface space got gear, a pool, a pool table, and am near lots of world class BBQ (Gates, Oklahoma Joe's, Jack Stack, Smokehouse, & Hayward's), a great neighborhood bar with unsurpassed buffalo wings (The Peanut), and The Gents Place and Diebel's. The Plaza is about 20 minutes north of here.

I'd be happy to host a get-together in late June or after that. It wouldn't be as convenient to members coming from North KC, but benefits would include ability to gorge on carry-out BBQ; show-and-tell and demo shaving wares; and hang out with lots of space in a casual environment where we don't have to worry about how long we hold a table.

Let me know if this would be appealing to any of you. No arm-twist. Just an alternative possibility.

I'm in if not traveling for work. All good spots mentioned by Chief Broom.

I live around 143rd & Mission. Keep me in the loop please.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
OK, past time to pick this back up and either get it rolling or let it die. Sorry for the lapse in attention, but the M&F Group Buy was consuming for a while.

I did take advantage of a strategic opportunity run the notion of hosting a B&B get together past my wife 2-3 weeks back. She readily gave assent. I was a little surprised at first (and then suspicious) by how well that went until a couple days later when she made a pass at leveraging the event as a rationale for purchasing some new patio furniture.

We have a foundation piering project that's due to start on June 12. That will take about a week and, I expect, leave a mess. So although the last week of June is possible, either a Saturday or Sunday in July or August would probably work best.

Scott (of Captain's Choice) has generously offered to provide samples for all who attend along with bottle of the new Captain's Choice Lime aftershave (see below) to be raffled off (draw a name out of a hat).

Assuming there is still enough interest to support doing this, I'm going to need some help. Event planning isn't my thing. So my hope is that some of you will volunteer to serve on a planning committee.

Who will step up?

Things we need to resolve include the following:

- Choose a date
- Determine expected attendance
- Select activities (what to do)
- Settle a schedule (when to do it)
- Decide on food, etc.
- Identify/procure necessary equipment and/or supplies
- Evaluate transportation needs and make any required arrangements
- Ensure effective communication

What else?

I live in Overland Park (Deer Creek) between Nall and Metcalf (directly south of the Sprint campus) and a few blocks north of 135th. Benefits of using my house as a base of operations for the event would include:

- Ample sinks and surface space (for show & tell);
- A pool and a pool table (probably best to make the indoor archery range off-limits);
- Large music library and total control of selection;
- Close proximity to lots of world class BBQ (Gates, Oklahoma Joe's, Jack Stack, Smokehouse, & Hayward's), a great neighborhood bar with unsurpassed buffalo wings (The Peanut), and The Gent's Place and Diebel's;
- The event could run from anytime during the day (e.g., say early afternoon) into the night, allowing members to join all or part of the scheduled activities without coordination and logistics hassles;
- We could reserve plenty of time just to hang out, discuss our shared interests, show-off gear, trial brushes and soaps, etc., without worrying about securing adequate table space or stowing stuff.

For this to get done, I think we need to 1) enlist at least 2-3 volunteers to communicate via PM and/or email, 2) aggressively settle a plan the broad outline of which would be posted here with details communicated via PM/email, and 3) make sure we get the word to all who might want to attend.

Broadcasting PMs to KC area members would be SPAMMING, so we can't do that. But what we can do is contact members we know (e.g. B&B friends) to ensure they get the word and, if interested, are on notice to watch this thread. BTW, any and all who wish to attend would be welcome. There are a lot of members across KS, MO, NE, OK, IA. I'd be happy to assist anyone with lodging arrangements.

So, who still wants to do this, and who will help get it done?

$4yBnd8Tl.jpg

^ This sounds amazing; I wish I could go to it.

If you haven't met Ken, do so. He's a great guy to talk with. I met him last month when I was visiting Kansas City and had a blast.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
^ This sounds amazing; I wish I could go to it.

If you haven't met Ken, do so. He's a great guy to talk with. I met him last month when I was visiting Kansas City and had a blast.

Thanks for the plug, Mike. It was great to meet you in person at Succotash. I do hope we can pull of a KC area (and beyond) get-together. There are a lot of great B&B members in the local area and proximate region.

ive got some saturdays free strating around the end of june and going through the first week of august. so saturdays would work well for me, and late afternoon and evening would be perfect. im not sure how great i would be at helping plan and such, but if assistance i needed i can try to help where i can. ill continue to keep an eye on this thread as well. looking forward to getting meeting up!

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
ive got some saturdays free strating around the end of june and going through the first week of august. so saturdays would work well for me, and late afternoon and evening would be perfect. im not sure how great i would be at helping plan and such, but if assistance i needed i can try to help where i can. ill continue to keep an eye on this thread as well. looking forward to getting meeting up!

Thanks much for the post. I hope we can pull something together, whether it be big or small.

Top Bottom