What's new

Kanayama Strop Review

Thanks for the link Doc!

I read somewhere that some of the new stock was coming in with some defects and noticed that your is fine. Do you know if yours is part of the old stock or the new stock that at times has defects? Also, could you post some comparison shots with your Tony Miller? That was another strop I've been eyeing :)
Mine is perfect, not a blemish, I'm not sure if it's NOS.

My TM, is also an awesome strop, it really leaves nothing to be wanted. The draw on my TM is a tad heavier, just a tad.
Pics
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Side view of both, the Kanayama is thicker
proxy.php

He hardware on the TM, is much better

They are both AWESOME strops. You can't go wrong with either one.

When I saw Kanayama Strop Review I thought it was going to be Kent lol!! Congrats Doc!
He's holding out, we think

Boom-Chikka-Boom-Boom

I read somewhere that some of the new stock was coming in with some defects and noticed that your is fine. Do you know if yours is part of the old stock or the new stock that at times has defects?

Takeshi Aoki said he has had no issues with the 3000s he stocks.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If they are still around come my Bday on the 30th I will likely cave. So you guys can quit with the sophomore "go ask her to dance" peer pressure :smile:.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
If they are still around come my Bday on the 30th I will likely cave. So you guys can quit with the sophomore "go ask her to dance" peer pressure :smile:.
I thought it was a SOP to buy a shaving item for your bday.
If you want it, then now is the time or you won't have it for the 30th.

Happy birthday, but you better ask her now, someone may beat you to it.

Used mine today for the first time, MAN! This stropping surface is immaculate. You can tell the razor enjoys the ride.
The draw is just about perfect, at this stage a cross between the ambrose spanish horsehide (my favorite) and an english bridle I had. Heavier than Tony Miller's horsehide. I'm sure as it's broken in the draw will increase slightly.

The sueded secondary is also very nice to strop on.

No QC issues on mine, flawless actually.

I think Ima go back and strop some more.

I already have one of these as a backup to my 60K, but am thinking of buying a few more now....

You know with the maker 90 now and no heir in sight to continue making them.....

Just saying....

I already have one of these as a backup to my 60K, but am thinking of buying a few more now....

You know with the maker 90 now and no heir in sight to continue making them.....

Just saying....
Buying another one, an investment, I may just do that.

Kent----Boom-Chickki-Boom-Boom

You'll probably get better returns than the stock market down the line

Wonder if Takeshi would consider stocking the 50000 or 60000 if those lines are available?

This is really sad to hear. I know next to nothing about leather but I would gladly take up this craft if Yoshimasa-san was looking for an apprentice. Maybe he wanted to keep it strictly in the family though.

You'll probably get better returns than the stock market down the line

Quite tempting....If the maker dies or stops making them in a couple years you could probably sell NOS ones for double or triple the cost....

Excuse me while I buy out the remaining....

I wonder if the folks at A frames Tokyo are wondering what is going on with the run on strops

I wonder if the folks at A frames Tokyo are wondering what is going on with the run on strops
Good question. Do you think that this sale may be a clearance sale of sorts? I just found out about this company after seeing the link you posted so I'm not sure how long they've been restocking since Eastern Smooth decided to stop stocking them.

Also, has anyone seen or heard of what was wrong with the defective Kanayama strops that ES was getting?

Top Bottom