What's new

Kananga Water review discussion thread

He he he … I go off on vacation and miss all the fun.

Suzuki said:
I respect Howard's opinion, but …
Suzuki said:
I recently acquired a bottle of Auga de Kananga and, simply put, this and the Don Dinero product by the same manufaturer are the worst colognes/EDTs I have ever had the misfortune of smelling.

…I mean no offence, and to each his own - everyone is free to wear whatever cologne they want, I just ask Howard or anyone who wears either of these products to do it as far away from me as possible!

Suzuki said:
FWIW, even after the initial horrible impression of this brand's products, I would still try some of this company's products - but only on the recommendation of someone who seems to have decent taste in colognes...

I’m glad we got that pesky respect stuff out of the way. There’s nothing like some groveling sycophant indiscriminately respecting everyone he encounters to put a damper on a good argument.

:wink:

It appears that the cologne Suzuki enjoyed is a different one than the Murray and Lanman product I reviewed. Unless, unbeknownst to me, Crusellas produces Murray and Lanman Kananga Water.

None the less, it is likely that many of the products labeled “Kananga” have a similar scent. That is the smell of Cananga odorata, otherwise known as Ylang Ylang. Ylang Ylang is used as a note in a number of modern blended perfumes. However, Kananga Water is usually much more basic and primal than most modern offerings. Judging from the old formulae I have seen, blending in Kananga Water is usually either very basic or nonexistent.

Ylang Ylang is native to Indonesia, but plantations producing this valuable crop were established in Jamacia in the 19th century. The basic “Kananga Water” preparations seem to have taken a hold in the region, not only being used for cologne but also in the local spiritual practices. I have to admit that, to me, Kananga Water does seem more suited to a muscular body, shimmering with a sheen of sweat under the Caribbean sun, than to an accountant trembling in a corporate boardroom. But, fortunately, I am not yet so alienated from my atavistic roots that a primitive image like the former makes me shudder in revulsion. As a matter of fact, it holds a certain attraction …

Well, that’s it for now. I feel the urge to consume some bloody, raw meat …

:biggrin:

This thread has sent me off madly into the kitchen to grab a puck of my ylang ylang soap and sniff it for dead bodies..! :eek:

This seems to be one of those love it or hate it fragrances... like patchouli. Both of them smell kind of nasty to me. But it takes all types... and that is why I have over 75 different shaving soaps....lol

From what I can see, the people who are selling it are calling it sweet and exotic... a real sexy comeon kind of a smell... the people who are using it usually call it nasty.

This is what I say about it on my website:

Tropical islanders have long credited the sweet, heady aroma of ylang ylang blossoms with the capacity to help ease the unpleasant effects of stress and nervousness. It was used by the islanders of Asia to treat insect bites and to ward off fever, and also by the Victorians for romance and as a stimulator for hair growth. Because the flower is so sensual it is the perfect aphrodisiac. The essential oil has a sweet, flowery smell which is aromatic, hypnotic, and relaxing, affecting both the mind and the emotions. It is also a rejuvenator for the skin and hair. In aromatherapy it is used to calm tension, lift negative moods and increase sensuality. Imported from Madagascar, Ylang Ylang Extra helps deliver vitality to dampened enthusiasm and uplifts depressed emotions.
Because it is so strong, it is best used sparingly in a massage or a bath. The effect will soothe away stress, improve the mood and stimulate the senses. It is one of the best oils for calming and relaxing without sedating.

But, I think I am one of those people who are just missing the boat on this... it doesnt do a thing for my aphrodisiac potentials nor does it lift negative moods.. However, it is a rejeuvinator for the skin and hair.

Oh, the price we have to pay sometimes...... :001_cool:

Sue (Mama Bear)

Mama Bear said:
This seems to be one of those love it or hate it fragrances... like patchouli. Both of them smell kind of nasty to me. But it takes all types... and that is why I have over 75 different shaving soaps....lol

Very interesting! I also like patchouli. I would say that our tastes differ, except that I've loved every scented soap I've ever received from you.

I think it is more probable that I'm simply quite a bit less discriminating. It's certainly true of for me for foods. Whereas many people reject foods due to cultural conditioning or preconceived expectations, I'm often eager to experience the unknown. I've enjoyed eating dog, camel, scorpion, slug, living shrimp in wine, and the list goes on and on. There are a lot of things in this wide world to experience, and often we limit ourselves by letting cultural expectations, previous associations, and a myriad other things cloud the experience of the moment.

Then again, sometimes you just don't like something.

I don't like coffee.

You don't like Coffee!~! :crying:

OMG... lol

It is amazing to me what smell does to people, including myself. I crave some smells sometimes. I still wish I could have the smell of my dad cutting the grass at home when I was a kid... I would do anything for that one. It is a very basic if not primordal effect that certain smells have for us. For me, Patchouli smells like older folks burning incense and other items when I was a kid. It is not a good smell for me. The Creme Brulee makes me drool......! Rik's Christmas Blend makes me think of warm kitchens full of laughing family at Christmas time...

I have been into the fragrances for so long... we all like different smells.. For instance, I would sell my soul for a vial of either Chanel #19 or Coco Chanel... I am sure that none of you guys would be caught dead wearing it..... :ohmy:

Also, something I like one day, I might hate the next. Someone told me that he had a bad reaction to M7 because it reminded him of a nasty person he knew... how basic is that?

The worst of it is, next year, ylang ylang might smell good to me! :w00t: :w00t: But untill that day comes along, I will continue to try and have all the bases covered.... :001_tongu

Mama Bear said:

From what I can see, the people who are selling it are calling it sweet and exotic... a real sexy comeon kind of a smell... the people who are using it usually call it nasty.

Sue,

I've been thinking about this. I recall back in high school biology the teacher gave us some chemical to taste. Some of the kids could taste it and some could not. Apparently genetics determined if we had or didn't have the ability to taste that particular chemical. I've long since forgotton the chemical he used. I fear that knowledge went wherever the rest of my high school biology learnin's went. Perhaps someone on the forum knows what chemical it was.

But that memory leads me to question whether there might be hardwired genetic differences in the way we perceive smells. Some things, like your aversion to patchoulli or your attraction to newly-mowed grass, can be accounted for by prior associations with the smell. However, I wonder if some of the other preferences, like perhaps an aversion to ylang ylang, might have a more genetic component. Obviously I'm not the only one who likes it, as there has been a market for the oil (primarily for perfumes) for a long time.

I can imagine a test where the subject sniffs a series of chemicals and answers if he can smell them or not. At the end he is provided with an analysis of his olfactory receptors, and knows whether or not he is likely to like ylang ylang. Also, he could get a list of essential oils he is not likely to be able to smell or be attracted to, and could thus avoid perfumes containing those as essential parts of thier blends.

We could all have our olfactory receptor profiles on B&B, listed under our signatures. You wouldn't happen to know of a biology grad student looking for a thesis topic who can work on this?

This has been scientifically proven.

There are certain individuals who are deemed, "Super Tasters" who have an above normal amount of taste buds. They are sometimes easy to spot since they are prone to eating and preferring bland foods and avoid spicy or flavorful foods like broccoli.

I can well imagine that olfactory receptors are prone to genetic variations which among other things, determines their quantity and thusly, their collective ability to deliver information to the brain.

Patchouli and Anise make me cringe, but I am an avid coffee drinker. Cigarette smoke is extremely disagreeable to me as well as most incense sticks, but yet I love the overpowering scent of fresh pine tar.

I think that in the end, that variety is just the spice of life and one person's heavenly bliss is another person's hellacious retching.

-joedy

The mention of these colognes being cheap reminds me of Jackie Mason's restaurant review, "The food was terrible...and the portions were so small".

Dr Fred said:
The mention of these colognes being cheap reminds me of Jackie Mason's restaurant review, "The food was terrible...and the portions were so small".

He he he ...

One of the cheap colognes (Hoyts) is supposed to increase a gambler's luck. Apparently some of them liberaly annoint themselves with the product prior to a big game. I've been wondering what that smells like. As I noted in the review of the kananga water cheap does not always equal weak in terms of smell. I'm going to have to pick up some Hoyts just to satisfy my curiosity of what someone might smell like if they poured a whole bottle of Hoyts over their head.

Not my head, mind you. Perhaps a cat or one of the neighborhood street urchins. :biggrin:

Suzuki said:
I respect Howard's opinion, but I will repeat what I said in the thread I inadvertently started in this forum, but will soften it somewhat so that I don't offend anyone

I recently acquired a bottle of Auga de Kananga and, simply put, this and the Don Dinero product by the same manufaturer are the worst colognes/EDTs I have ever had the misfortune of smelling.

I won't even try to decribe them beyond saying that both smelled to me like rancid cough syrup. I would not ever apply either of these products - even if I smelled like something that had been dead for 48 hours in the August heat.

I know these are cheap products ($4 for 7.5 ounces - I bought them blind from another member, so didn't pay full retail), but are in the same price range as Pinaud products and are more expensive than the Canadian Booster products (CAD$8 for 14 ounces), which all smell much better than these two Crusellas products. (FWIW, I had a female colleague take a whiff and she agreed - she is my opposite sex reality check for most of the a/s and edt products I buy.

I can't say anything about the other Crusella's scents, but to me, these were simply vile. I smelled them twice (the initial smell and then another one to confirm that they were as awful as I thought they were) and then consigned them to a sturdy recepticle that would be disposed of as soon as possible. Having done this, I feel that I have indeed made the world a better (or at least less smelly) place.

I know that this is a pretty strong review and that it is possible otherswill loves this stuff to the point where they take a daily bath in it. I mean no offence, and to each his own - everyone is free to wear whatever cologne they want, I just ask Howard or anyone who wears either of these products to do it as far away from me as possible!

Well, it is named after a Bond villain.

I like Kananga Water, but not quite as much as Florida Water. It is very potent compared to Florida Water IMO, and on me lasts nearly all day. It has a very distinctive scent that is not my favorite, but is nice as a change of pace.

Recommended, especially for the cost. And the historical nature of the product.

I like iit and have it on the right hand side of the basin, con la raíz! THe nice thing about (some?) of these scents is, they are light, bright, and inexpensive enough that you can afford to buy a bunch. They have two different sandalwoods, Sandalo and Oriental Sandalwood. By themselves, nothing too remarkable. When applied one on top of the other, it is really a soft, buy spicy sandalwood fragrance that you will enjoy. :tongue_sm
While I agree that it is easy to spend someone elses money, I do not feel too awfully bad at $4.00 or so a pop. Think of it as an experiment with an imported beer at the bar.:001_rolle

I'm also a big fan of the Rose Cologne and the Patcholi (although they spell it Pacholi--Touch of Love, which is a mite embarrassing!)

Edit--I see I am talking about Murray & Lanman whereas you are talking about another brand

Very interesting! I also like patchouli. I would say that our tastes differ, except that I've loved every scented soap I've ever received from you.

I think it is more probable that I'm simply quite a bit less discriminating. It's certainly true of for me for foods. Whereas many people reject foods due to cultural conditioning or preconceived expectations, I'm often eager to experience the unknown. I've enjoyed eating dog, camel, scorpion, slug, living shrimp in wine, and the list goes on and on. There are a lot of things in this wide world to experience, and often we limit ourselves by letting cultural expectations, previous associations, and a myriad other things cloud the experience of the moment.

Then again, sometimes you just don't like something.

I don't like coffee.

I agree with you on everything but coffee. In fact, I fear I am not critical at all, but rather like everything. I just like some things more than others.

Top Bottom