Just took a ham out of the oven.

Discussion in 'The Mess Hall' started by oc_in_fw, Dec 24, 2012.

1. The house smells of cloves, honey, and brown sugar. I am letting it rest, but want to take a big old bite out of it. Ummm, ham sandwiches.

2. Alacrity59

Alacrity59 Moderator Emeritus Contributor

sounds swell any chance of a pic?

3. No, I wasn't thinking, I was hungry. But it was rather simple. Twenty minute per pound, covered in foil. Then, for the last half hour orso, I made a glaze of brown sugar, honey, and cloves. It smelled, and tasted, heavenly.

4. Argonaut

Argonaut Moderator Emeritus

What the...? You tease!

5. I know, I just made the Mess Hall Santa's naughty list.

6. Kentos

Kentos Moderator Emeritus

As I had been told countless times before "pics or it didn't happen". For all we know you baked a can of Spam in a bowl of Rootbeer..:lol:

Sounds heavenly!

7. djh

djh Moderator

mmmmmmm! Spam n Root Beer!

8. Spam floats, mmmm

9. Kentos

Kentos Moderator Emeritus

Ha!! :lol:

10. Went to mom's yesterday and had ham. No one else wanted the ham, so I gladly brought home a hunk that was a few pounds.

I love me some ham leftovers.

Fried ham and eggs, ham sandwiches...you get the idea.

11. I'm a ham lover and have converted a few folks with Alton Brown's city ham recipe. The crust/glaze is absolutely awesome. I am now the designated Christmas cook between my ham success and my homemade applesauce. My panettone, not such a hit.

12. I don't get designated, I kick people out of their kitchens.

Ham is great but unless you walk out with the bone, its not a victory! ;)

14. Make split pea and ham soup in a crock pot with bacon. I LOVE left over ham!

15. You can get a little more flavor in the ham if you stab the whole clove into the top before putting it in the oven. I always glaze the ham at the beginning and spoon the drippings over as it cooks.

16. Yesterday I cooked a spiral sliced ham.I used 1 1/2 cups ginger ale,3 tsp ginger paste, 1 cup orange marmalade mixed together ,one half of the mix was used as a baste.The other half I mixed with the pkg of glaze that came with the ham.That was placed in a pan in the oven and allowed to cook down.The last 30 minutes of the cook time the cooked down mix was then poured over the ham.It was great.

17. Alacrity59

Alacrity59 Moderator Emeritus Contributor

Mmmmmm. I love the first piece . . . kinda like bacon.