What's new

Just set myself up a sampler pack.

Well I'm using a VdH razor still (so far it is my only razor but I believe my father may be in possession of my grandfather's Gillette--but there is no telling--I don't know what kind it is other than it was gold colored) which I strongly suspect to be an up-branded Weishi.

With my neck, the skin is just thin and sensitive. I probably could shave it atg (from right to left in my case) but I find I do just fine with doing wtg (left to right) and then xtg twice.

I tend to do just the two xtg passes on my neck. Like you my atg on my neck is right to left (all over) but for some reason a wtg pass (left to right) doesn't actually do much for me. It definitely doesn't make the cross grain passes any easier (there is absolutely no tugging x grain on this hair - must be finer than the rest of the face or something).

Gillette Super Thin. Thai or vietnamese. Great starter blades. Very smoothe. I have more than 150 and rotate them often in spite of having a large supply of others.
Rapira Platinum Lux is a good blade too. Astra Blue (not sure why people prefer the green).
Feather. Don't believe the hype. Good blade but run out of steam fairly quickly.
Nacet. 7 O'clock green.
I have used most of the blades you have there and particularly like the GSB, Yellows and Polsilver.

Those 7 O'clock greens, would those be the Greens Permasharp Stainless (India) or the Greens Super Stainless (Russia)? Some say that the Russian one is blue but it looks green to me from the picture. According to Tryablade the Gillette Super Thins are Thai, but I've put them on my list.

Oh I'm willing to try the feather. I'll probably order some next time I need to order from Tryablade. I'm mostly looking for a couple of blades I can essentially use as work horses. (Buy a container of those) After that I'll try any blade at least twice, trying it a third time though....

Those 7 O'clock greens, would those be the Greens Permasharp Stainless (India) or the Greens Super Stainless (Russia)? Some say that the Russian one is blue but it looks green to me from the picture. According to Tryablade the Gillette Super Thins are Thai, but I've put them on my list.

Oh I'm willing to try the feather. I'll probably order some next time I need to order from Tryablade. I'm mostly looking for a couple of blades I can essentially use as work horses. (Buy a container of those) After that I'll try any blade at least twice, trying it a third time though....

The Russian Super Stainless in person is definitely green. I have yet to try the blade but I have the box in my to-try pile.

i'm currently going through a random 40 pack with my 6 razor normal rotation, most of the shaves are pretty good, anywhere between 3-6 shaves per blade. however, the Feather is my go to.

there's always a plan B.

Well it's been two shaves since I last posted. On Saturday (which is an odd day to shave for me, I normally shave through the week but don't on the weekend because "Alex you take too long to do all your hygiene things") I put a second shave on the Voskhod. It was still smooth and pretty sharp but didn't do as good a job as the first shave. Kind of like a few days of growth really blunted the edge. I suppose I could get two more shaves out of it.

At any rate today I wanted to use a different blade so I pulled out a Treet Carbon Steel "Black Beauty" (at least I think that's what it is called, the blade is black anyway). It was smooth like the Voskhod but felt ever so slightly more efficient. I could feel it cutting my two day's growth. It even managed to clean up my neck with no irritation which the Voskhod couldn't do on the second pass.

At any rate I also think my technique has improved and my pre-shave routine has definately improved. It seems that using the pre-shave oil caused irritation and made what would otherwise be an unpleasant shave with a VdH blade miserable. Instead I've found that washing my face with Ivory soap (like I've been doing for years) either in the shower or by itself actually is a better preparation. I've also taken to moistening my face with a rag rather than attempting to splash my face with my hands--it may only be psychological but it seems that I have more control over the distribution of the water.

Finally I've taken to shaving in lukewarm water rather than hot water.

Top Bottom