What's new

Just set myself up a sampler pack.

Well, while I'm still relatively new to the wet shaving game (considering there are guys here who've been shaving like this for 50 years) I've started my quest for the perfect blade, or at least the blade that makes me happy. Its a good thing that I found B&B or I wouldn't have even thought to look for a place that sells single blades online. Much thanks @OtterLunacy .

At any rate I set myself up a sampler with two (2) blades of the following companies and types.

Astra Superior Platinum
Persona Lab Blue
Persona Platinum (I.E. Israeli Reds)
Voskhod (I've been hearing some hype about them on Youtube so I figured why not)
PolSilver Super Iridium
Derby Extra
Ladas Super Stainless
Treet Carbon Steel (I believe these ones are commonly called Treet Blacks)
Gillette Silver Blue (apparently these can be hard to find at times)
Gillette 7 o'Clock Sharp Edge (the yellow ones)
Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus

Are there any blades that are particularly popular that I've missed, that I should put on my "To Try List"?

Definately add Feathers and Gillette blacks.

I think I'll hold off on the feathers for just now. The hype surrounding them makes them sound scary.

I'll definitely put the Gillette Blacks on the list. That company still has a decent reputation, though how much of that is coasting on past glories I have no idea. Wet shaving wasn't really a thing for me growing up and by the time I started shaving in the mid-90s the latest rage was carts with 9 blades and 15 "lubricating" strips. Thankfully my beard is light to average and grows slowly so I can manage with disposables even if they feel like scraping your face with a rusty butter knife.

Well done. Enjoy. Try to not get tied up in knots over blades. Most differences among them are teeny-tiny.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that my technique or lack thereof is a big factor. For all I know my problems could be related to the soap I'm using....not enough lather, too much lather, wrong type of soap for my skin type (I've had problems with soaps before with just regular bathing so....). Skin prep could be an issue. I have found that rubbing my skin with olive oil-grapeseed oil (I've been looking up DIY pre-shave oils on the forum) caused my soap to dry out my skin much less than otherwise.

I want to eliminate equipment issues if any first, or at least rule them out. So that leaves playing with blades and soaps because I don't think its the razor itself--though a better razor probably wouldn't be a bad idea. I don't think there's any fast way to improve technique.

Your off to a good start. I am sure you will find a blade you like among those you ordered. Many of the blades you listed are among the most popular and well-respected among B+B'ers. Once you find a blade you like, order a 100-pack and then work on your technique and shaving expertise. Have fun and enjoy the journey.

They are also best sellers at tryablade too. The lowest one ranked on popularity (which I assume means by how many they sell) is the Treet and it's 12th. Feather's are 2nd, but all the others are in their top ten list. My thinking is that they are popular for a reason.

I am concerned about the Personna Platinums though, it seems like there are two different packages, but the specs are the same.

I think I'll hold off on the feathers for just now. The hype surrounding them makes them sound scary.

I'll definitely put the Gillette Blacks on the list. That company still has a decent reputation, though how much of that is coasting on past glories I have no idea. Wet shaving wasn't really a thing for me growing up and by the time I started shaving in the mid-90s the latest rage was carts with 9 blades and 15 "lubricating" strips. Thankfully my beard is light to average and grows slowly so I can manage with disposables even if they feel like scraping your face with a rusty butter knife.
Don't be afraid of the feather. The hype is just that. Best case scenario, you get a nice shave with slightly less irritation. Worst case scenario, you get a nice shave with slightly more irritation. They won't cut or draw blood any more than any other blade.

Well, while I'm still relatively new to the wet shaving game (considering there are guys here who've been shaving like this for 50 years) I've started my quest for the perfect blade, or at least the blade that makes me happy. Its a good thing that I found B&B or I wouldn't have even thought to look for a place that sells single blades online. Much thanks @OtterLunacy .

At any rate I set myself up a sampler with two (2) blades of the following companies and types.

Astra Superior Platinum
Persona Lab Blue
Persona Platinum (I.E. Israeli Reds)
Voskhod (I've been hearing some hype about them on Youtube so I figured why not)
PolSilver Super Iridium
Derby Extra
Ladas Super Stainless
Treet Carbon Steel (I believe these ones are commonly called Treet Blacks)
Gillette Silver Blue (apparently these can be hard to find at times)
Gillette 7 o'Clock Sharp Edge (the yellow ones)
Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus

Are there any blades that are particularly popular that I've missed, that I should put on my "To Try List"?

I would take Ladas off, they are ok but very similar to voskhod (I prefer Ladas actually) if you like one then you would probably like the other. Instead I would put rapira platinum lux which are the premium blade from the same brand.

I would put in Gillette Nacet Stainless. A 'lot' of people like that blade. (I have some but still haven't tried them).

I have got myself a bunch of samples I am working through. A couple of other usual suspects would be feather, german wilkinson sword and permasharp.

You're welcome! I'm always happy to pass along information that'll help others, especially when I originally heard about it on B&B myself. The only other blades I can think of to add are Wilkinson Swords, though your current selection is probably plenty for now. Just be aware that different razors might need different blades. For example, GSBs are a solid blade in my daily driver. This morning I tried a fresh one in my new slant, and it turned harsh after a single pass!

Don't be afraid of the feather. The hype is just that. Best case scenario, you get a nice shave with slightly less irritation. Worst case scenario, you get a nice shave with slightly more irritation. They won't cut or draw blood any more than any other blade.

I wouldn't say I'm afraid of the blades--they are inanimate objects. I've just heard that they are quite sharp and are considered to be very agressive. As I'm not very confident in my technique I would feel better putting those on the back burner for now. I'm only 37 so with luck I'll have another 40 years or so to perfect my shaving. Assuming I don't get run over by a bus tomorrow or something.

I would take Ladas off, they are ok but very similar to voskhod (I prefer Ladas actually) if you like one then you would probably like the other. Instead I would put rapira platinum lux which are the premium blade from the same brand.

I would put in Gillette Nacet Stainless. A 'lot' of people like that blade. (I have some but still haven't tried them).

I have got myself a bunch of samples I am working through. A couple of other usual suspects would be feather, german wilkinson sword and permasharp.

I've already done the ordering actually, so it's a little hard to take off the Ladas. If they are similar to the voskhods I'll either like them or not like them. I'm definitely at some point trying the rapiras of all varieties. I just don't want to have several blades all of the same company.

I'll be putting the Nacet Stainless blades on my list along with the Gillette blacks.

You're welcome! I'm always happy to pass along information that'll help others, especially when I originally heard about it on B&B myself. The only other blades I can think of to add are Wilkinson Swords, though your current selection is probably plenty for now. Just be aware that different razors might need different blades. For example, GSBs are a solid blade in my daily driver. This morning I tried a fresh one in my new slant, and it turned harsh after a single pass!

Right now I only have the one razor, unless you plan on counting the disposables I still have. I'll probably be using them to shave my head for a while still, and I think I may have some Trac II carts somewhere for the Headblade I bought some years ago and used maybe once. I've been shaving my head since I was in my 20s (being completely bald looks better than balding imho).

I'll have to remember that for when I get a new razor though. I've been thinking I might like an adjustable at some point. I'll have to see if I can't find my grandfather's old razor around here (assuming my grandmother didn't get rid of it or give it to one of my uncles already). I know he used a DE at some point because he was shaving before carts were even a thing, and I'm pretty sure that shaving was US Army regulation during WW2. I might have to check around for some vintage razors too.

Right so my package finally arrived from Tryablade. And thank the gods it did as I have an interview this afternoon and hadn't shaved since Sunday when I bined the last *** VDH blade.

As my first blade...I decided to play things a bit loose and chose the Voskhod. Man the blade was smooth. I was able to get a DFS with very little razor burn or anything. I think my face is still healing up from the last shave. But the Voskhod felt like I wasn't even shaving. I only have a few stray whiskers left on my chin (a problem area for me) and down on my neck (cause I don't like shaving it atg)

Right so my package finally arrived from Tryablade. And thank the gods it did as I have an interview this afternoon and hadn't shaved since Sunday when I bined the last *** VDH blade.

As my first blade...I decided to play things a bit loose and chose the Voskhod. Man the blade was smooth. I was able to get a DFS with very little razor burn or anything. I think my face is still healing up from the last shave. But the Voskhod felt like I wasn't even shaving. I only have a few stray whiskers left on my chin (a problem area for me) and down on my neck (cause I don't like shaving it atg)

I think quite a few of us can't manage ATG on the neck. I know I can't.

Glad you like the voskhod. I find them almost unusable.

I think quite a few of us can't manage ATG on the neck. I know I can't.

Glad you like the voskhod. I find them almost unusable.

Well I'm using a VdH razor still (so far it is my only razor but I believe my father may be in possession of my grandfather's Gillette--but there is no telling--I don't know what kind it is other than it was gold colored) which I strongly suspect to be an up-branded Weishi.

With my neck, the skin is just thin and sensitive. I probably could shave it atg (from right to left in my case) but I find I do just fine with doing wtg (left to right) and then xtg twice.

The chin has been a problem area since I started shaving, so when I'm allowed to I just grow a goatee.

ETA, I also suspect that my razor burn is being aggravated by using a PSO. I'm going to do my next shave without it to see if its easier. Thankfully I'm not out any money on that one.

I found that pre-shave oils didn't make any difference for me, personally. I thought they were helpful, but after forgoing them a few times, I noticed no change in any of the shaves and have since abandoned the extra step. A pre-shave scrub/cleansing, however, makes a pretty big difference in comfort and quality, I've noted. Preferably a hot shower, and an exfoliating scrub, though a plain old wash with soap and water works decently, too.

I'm prone to ingrown hairs and my neck rashes easily, and using good blades and improving my technique has done more than anything else to prevent the troubles.

I found that pre-shave oils didn't make any difference for me, personally. I thought they were helpful, but after forgoing them a few times, I noticed no change in any of the shaves and have since abandoned the extra step. A pre-shave scrub/cleansing, however, makes a pretty big difference in comfort and quality, I've noted. Preferably a hot shower, and an exfoliating scrub, though a plain old wash with soap and water works decently, too.

I'm prone to ingrown hairs and my neck rashes easily, and using good blades and improving my technique has done more than anything else to prevent the troubles.

Yeah the PSO was something I whipped up on the fly from some oils I had around the house (olive and grapeseed). I thought of adding it to the shave routine since I seem to think that my particular soap is drying my skin out. I usually shave after showering, but when I don't I do wash my face. I've been washing my face with ivory soap for years so I'm pretty sure that's not the culprit.

I'll figure it out. It isn't rocket science after all. Just like with dialing in my vaping (that took many months of experimentation).

Top Bottom