What's new

Is this a Fatboy?

Definitely a Fatty. If you have trouble getting the crud off, go to WalMart and get a brass-bristle brush (check gun/sporting goods section). Get the one like a toothbrush...not the spiral stiff bristle bore cleaner.

This works great for $5...
20170106_121729.jpg

Nice find! I like several here have little luck finding razors locally. The rare times I do they are pretty costly, never any near your cost of $13.50.

And comparing the adjuster dial with pictures, this looks like a Fatboy, rather than a Slim.
Yup. I always look at the adjustment dial, which on a Slim has a conical shoulder at the bottom. It's the most visible giveaway when there's only the one razor.

Strangely enough, I've been seeing a lot of Slims labeled as Fat Boys on eBay. Just the opposite situation. Maybe they think of the Fat Boys as being older, therefore more valuable to a collector. I don't even bother trying to correct them.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Yup. I always look at the adjustment dial, which on a Slim has a conical shoulder at the bottom. It's the most visible giveaway when there's only the one razor.

Strangely enough, I've been seeing a lot of Slims labeled as Fat Boys on eBay. Just the opposite situation. Maybe they think of the Fat Boys as being older, therefore more valuable to a collector. I don't even bother trying to correct them.

Good theory on them thinking that wat about the Fatboy. It also could be not knowing enough about the differences of them to differentiate.

Kindly,
Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I've never been one to "shop" for things, but you guys know this means I'm going to have to go to every antique store and flea market in the area now, right? Somewhere around here might be a nice late 40's Aristocrat for twenty bucks.

I've never been one to "shop" for things, but you guys know this means I'm going to have to go to every antique store and flea market in the area now, right? Somewhere around here might be a nice late 40's Aristocrat for twenty bucks.

If you are looking for a late 40s Aristocrat at that price, check the BST. I got one for about that when I bought it with a brush as a bundle.

Happy Shaving
-Chris
US Army Veteran, Foxhole Shavers Club Member

Just wanted to follow up on this.
I did a hot water and Dawn soak for a couple of hours last night, followed by a vigorous scrubbing w/ a toothbrush. It is nice and clean, but a polish with two different metal polishes didn't bring any "shine". It looks good, though. It's a user-grade, not a show piece, which is all I wanted anyway. I forgot to get an "after" picture, I'll try to post one soon.
One funny thing, even though the adjuster and TTO knob/doors moved fine previous to the cleaning, they improved noticeably after the soak. While this thing may be a 5-6 out of 10 cosmetically, I would say it's an 8-9 functionally.

I had to use it last night, I couldn't wait any longer. I loaded a fresh Astra SP into it and everything looked good, the blade was setting even. I've never used an adjustable before, wasn't sure where to start, and wasn't sure if this thing was going to go berserk on me the second I set it against my throat, so I opted to play it safe and set it to 2. Started at the edge of my beard line, which it cut against very nicely, and did my first pass. Very nice, but too mild for me I think. I click it up to 3 and do the second pass and a little touch up work. Decent first impression. Obviously I need to get to know this razor better and learn what settings work for me.

It is amazing that this 57 year old little metal contraption still works and looks as well as it does, and was basically a fairly cheap item when new, hardly a serious luxury or investment piece. Hell, I'm only 43 and my moving pieces don't work nearly as well.

Top Bottom