What's new

Is There A Good Tutorial?

proxy.php

I just bought this Made Rite brush today. The handle is obviously clear acrylic. The bottom says it is a pure badger brush and the knot is "set in rubber."

I think it is a good candidate for restore, but I don't know the complete process. Is there a good tutorial on this forum I could use as a guide? I will probably go with a pure badger knot to keep its originality. This will be my first attempt at a restore.

Last edited:
proxy.php

I just bought this Made Rite brush today. The handle is obviously clear acrylic. The bottom says it is a pure badger brush and the knot is "set in rubber."

I think it is a good candidate for restore, but I don't know the complete process. Is there a good tutorial on this forum I could use as a guide? I will probably go with a pure badger knot to keep its originality. This will be my first attempt at a restore.

It's a great handle for a restore project.

I don't recall seeing a tutorial, I learned the small bits I know by reading the posts here.
Basically it boils down to:
1) Tape up the handle well, to prevent scratching
2) Get the old knot out. I have used a Dremel or a drill press with a Forstner bit.
3) Measure the diameter of the hole for knot size
4) Visit TGN (The Golden Nib) http://www.thegoldennib.com/
5) Decide what knot you want,,,,might take a while :001_smile
6) Carefully, clean, sand, polish the handle.
7) Determine your loft, test set the knot to see if it is what you want.
8) Glue it in. I use Devcon 5 minute epoxy.

Enjoy it and post pictures as you progress.

It's a great handle for a restore project.

I don't recall seeing a tutorial, I learned the small bits I know by reading the posts here.
Basically it boils down to:
1) Tape up the handle well, to prevent scratching
2) Get the old knot out. I have used a Dremel or a drill press with a Forstner bit.
3) Measure the diameter of the hole for knot size
4) Visit TGN (The Golden Nib) http://www.thegoldennib.com/
5) Decide what knot you want,,,,might take a while :001_smile
6) Carefully, clean, sand, polish the handle.
7) Determine your loft, test set the knot to see if it is what you want.
8) Glue it in. I use Devcon 5 minute epoxy.

Enjoy it and post pictures as you progress.

With the clear handle, you might also need to use a little paint where to hide the base of the knot.

Testor's works pretty well.

Thanks so much! I have been looking at The Golden Nib and was amazed at how affordable a new knot is. I could really see this being addicting. I run across old shave brushes more often than I do good DE's.

With the clear handle, you might also need to use a little paint where to hide the base of the knot.

Testor's works pretty well.

I wondered about that Dale. If there was some kind of base that the knot sets on.
This might be a good chance to draw up a logo or initials to be seen through the clear handle.

On 2nd look, the space for the seating of the knot looks a bit short.

Live oak, how long is the black bit in mm ?

I have never tried the pure knots because I like softer. I usually go with the extra stuffed finest or silvertips.
Or a TGN boar would look great in there.

I wondered about that Dale. If there was some kind of base that the knot sets on.
This might be a good chance to draw up a logo or initials to be seen through the clear handle.

On 2nd look, the space for the seating of the knot looks a bit short.

Live oak, how long is the black bit in mm ?

I have never tried the pure knots because I like softer. I usually go with the extra stuffed finest or silvertips.
Or a TGN boar would look great in there.

The black section is 19 mm. Since that is rubber, should I try not to drill that bit out and set the knot back in it, or should I drill all the rubber out, fill the space with epoxy, and then paint the acrylic on the outside? Dumb question, but if I drill the rubber out, the handle isn't hollow past it, is it?

The black section is 19 mm. Since that is rubber, should I try not to drill that bit out and set the knot back in it, or should I drill all the rubber out, fill the space with epoxy, and then paint the acrylic on the outside? Dumb question, but if I drill the rubber out, the handle isn't hollow past it, is it?

I would leave the rubber bit alone. Just get the old glue out.
I am wondering what is under the old knot. Glue or some kind of base ?

The two that I had with an amber base, had a solid base which, A) screwed in, or B) was glued to the top.

Here is a pic of one which I screwed up.

I think it is a good candidate for restore, but I don't know the complete process. Is there a good tutorial on this forum I could use as a guide?

Nice brush and should look great after you've finished the restore.

There's no one ideal tutorial, just a whole lot of useful posts.

See my wiki in my sig for some posts that may assist you, especially Kevinms pictorial post .

Top Bottom