Is there a cheaper alternative to Drambuie?

Discussion in 'The Speakeasy' started by VonMises1881, Aug 10, 2010.

1. So delicious, so essential to a Rusty Nail............So expensive. I hate to try a lesser product because the original is so good but when times are tough 19.99 for a small bottle can be a bit much.

2. If you like a Rusty Nail, you should try Lochan Ora instead of Drambuie.
    Unfortunately that's not going to help you since it's harder to find and just as expensive. I don't think there is another alternative.

3. Glayva is a whiskey liquer but it runs almost the same as Drambuie.

Pete

4. ackvil

ackvil Moderator Contributor

Ah, a Rusty Nail. Brings back fond memories: my father's favorite after dinner drink.

5. While it's not nearly the same, give a Godfather a try. It's a rusty nail, but substitute amaretto in place of the Drambuie.

6. AFAIK, the Rusty Nail was in fact invented (or at least heavily promoted) by the makers of Drambuie back in the 40's as a way sell more of the stuff. Unfortunately, there's no cheaper knockoff of Drambuie out there (unlike, say, the dozens of Kahlua imitators some of which are way better than the real thing, the Ily liqueur comes to mind) so you're kind of out of luck if you want to stay firmly traditional on this one. However, I've found that bourbon and Wild Turkey American Honey mixed 3-1 (don't know if this has a name yet) is a pretty nice variation on the theme.

The other classic stablemate of a Rusty Nail, of course, is the B&B (Brandy & Benedictine) which has been available in a handy premixed format for decades, cheaper than having to buy two bottles! :thumbup1:

7. I've been told these recipes are close but i never tried them........

1 bottle Blended Scotch
    Peel of 1/2 a lemon
    Peel of 1/2 an orange
    1 cinnamon stick
    10 cloves
    A good bit of Angostura
    5oz honey

Let it sit for a week or two, shake until it's all dissolved and strain.

---------------
    # 1 (750 ml) bottle Blend scotch
    # 1 1/2 cups mild honey
    # 2 teaspoons chopped dried angelica root
    # 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
    # 1 slice lemon, zest of, 4 inches

8. + 1 on the Glayva, similar to, but nothing is quite the same as Drambuie

9. Glayva is about as close as you'll get to Drambuie...it was developed by former employees (and IIRC family members).