What's new

Is the Merkur Futur really THAT aggressive?

Ah, the Futur. It scares so many. It was my first DE, and the only one I've used for the last 8+ years. IMO the Perfect Razor. It can handle any blade with the proper setting. I use mine at 6+ with most blades, even the dreaded Feather. All it takes is a little care and respect, and with practice anyone can master it. I'm currently trying out an ATT cap and H1 Base plate (on a Weber Classic handle) to see if I want to change up. I'll know in a week.

Well said. It's a pretty rewarding razor when used with some care.

Just used mine on 4 with a Voskhod for a head shave. The shave was majestic and near perfect. The Vossy might be my dedicated head shave blade going forward as the smoothness was good.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
When I did shave my head, 4+ years ago, I used it at 3 or 3.5. Got a smooth, shiny dome at that setting.

The post of the undead ! lol

Well I did at least learn how to pull the thing apart and clean it properly. A bonus gift from this zombie thread. Plenty of white muck inside to brush away LOL.

It's aggressive even at the lowest setting?
Sure is. I've found the lowest setting and the head nearly parallel with my face the best shave I could ever hope for. Heavy implement gives a great feel in your hand. You probably shed a little blood learning to ride your first bicycle. The trade off is worth it.

Tom D.

I'm on the 2nd shave using an Astra SP blade in the Futur. The setting is 4 and it still does not give as close a shave as the Muhle R41. It is aggressive, but if you keep the face wet and soapy then use a light touch, it's fine. No razor burn or burning skin, I can actually get away without an aftershave or balm.

It does give a lot of feedback as far as chatter when the blade cuts. I'm going to dial it up some more for the next two shaves to see how close it gets.

captp

[MENTION=108468]Ratdog[/MENTION] may I suggest you dial it up only half setting at a time? i.e. go to 4.5 them to 5 if you do well at 4.5 and so on.

Took the 3rd shave on the Astra SP today and set the Futur to a 5. Took the usual WTG/ATG pass & buffing and got a really close shave this morning without irritation. I like to shave before I shower and totally forgot to put on balm after the shower because the face felt so good.

I usually do not shave on Saturday so Sunday may be the last shave with this set-up before I move on to the Merkur 39C slant for next week.

I must re-iterate what everyone else is saying, you have to have a light touch and let the razor and blade do the work.

I just ordered a future hasn't got here yet but I've never used a de before. I'm use to using a puma straight razor one of the first I got for $11 back 15 years ago when I first started collecting straight razors new old stock. I've also used the razors that have a dial usually 1-9 that holds those real thin single sided blades they come in a case of 10 that also acts as a mechanism to insert the blade in the razor. Do y'all think I'll have difficulty adjusting to the future since people are saying its so agersive coming from a very sharp straight razor?

captp

The Futur is quite aggressive on 6. But nothing is as aggressive as a straight. It may take you a few shaves to get the technique down

I just ordered a future hasn't got here yet but I've never used a de before. I'm use to using a puma straight razor one of the first I got for $11 back 15 years ago when I first started collecting straight razors new old stock. I've also used the razors that have a dial usually 1-9 that holds those real thin single sided blades they come in a case of 10 that also acts as a mechanism to insert the blade in the razor. Do y'all think I'll have difficulty adjusting to the future since people are saying its so agersive coming from a very sharp straight razor?

Injectors?

I actually got started collecting straight razor by buy a shaving bag at a estate sell that had 7 straights in it there was several nice razors in the 7 except 1 that was very old and had mild rust that I was able to sand off and restore. It had one puma still in the original box and tissue paper. I got separated from them there in storage in another state. I've been growing a beard and decided I wanted to get a razor I started to look at the de. And really liked the look of the future and that it was adjustable. At $53 it wasn't much more than all the de's I'd been looking at so I figured I'd give it a try. It sounds like if I don't have any problems with a straight razor then getting use to the futra will be minimal.

The Futur is an efficient razor, but I don't really find it overly aggressive in terms of biting. My mileage usually varies, but I find that I am more prone to get irritation from mild razors. Just don't use pressure and mind your angle...you will be fine.

mind your angle

I actually found Futur to be one of those razors where the ideal angle is the same as the natural one. I mean, I rarely worry about the angle on mine. With other razors, especially open combs, you need to adjust your angle, but with Futur, seems natural.

It's my favorite shaver for over a year and that's probably not gonna change soon. I'm pretty much on setting 3 most of the time, I would sometimes go higher if I feel that the blade that I'm using it's not too sharp, but it's a wonderful razor. I'm getting perfect shaves out of it, no irritation or nicks, great balance, great head, I love it.

Got a bit to get used to it, 3-4 shaves, I remember that I nicked on those first shaves, right under my bottom lip, twice, as I was not used with the weight of the razor. But once I got the weight problem out of the way, wonderful. I think that it being over-weight actually helps, as no pressure is really no pressure with this one, the razor have enough weight to do the job on its own.

Top Bottom