What's new

Is the Merkur Futur really THAT aggressive?

Turned down to 1 or 2, I don't think the Futur is all that aggressive. It doesn't seem to have a whole lot of blade exposure on the low settings so it agrees with my face nicely. Most razors seem to have more blade exposure which my face doesn't like much. If you turn the Futur up to 3 or beyond, it gets pretty aggressive though. Still one of my favorites.

well used it about 3 weeks now love the razor but im trying to find a good soap as i live in a very hard water area and i cannot seem to get a good lather what would you guys recomend

very hard water and loads of ironstone

Last edited:
I bought a Futur as my only razor upon my return to DE shaving. I love this thing but it does take a gentle accurate hand. And also the quantity of my shave depends on the blade I put in this thing and the characteristics of skin and beard. I prep quite a bit and still use the razor on 1 for now.

The Future compared to most other razors is pretty aggressive - especially if you crank it up past about 3. The blade gap and weight of the razor requires your undivided attention. That said, if you pay attention to your shave , let the weight of the razor do the work, you will be rewarded with a remarkably smooth shave in no time. I actually like feeling what the blade is up to and this will tell you where it is all the time and confirm it with a hearty 'slicing sound'

The downside is that the blade gap is waiting to 'getcha' the minute you drop your attention, make a silly move or apply too much pressure. Discipline is rewarded, laxity is not.

I only use my Future here and there because I have small mole on my lip that has sits proud enough to make it a target for this razor and requires a deft hand to get the angle and pressure right as the blade is brought to it.

Watch the moles! And yes, the circular wound on my upper lip is now quite well healed. Week 1 with this razor was a deep learning experience.

I find that, as FatboyFan said, focus is needed while using, loading and adjusting this razor. Been a while since I had to think about 1 thing only, without fail, for 15 minutes...

There is no better tool of choice in combination with the right blades For me the lord super stainless do the Job.
See It as a expansive italian espresso leverage machine where the right coffee beans have to do the trick.

I bought A Futur clone. Great shaves and the handle and overall build quality is better than the original. $30 inc. shipping it's a good deal.
$EE02EF3C-415C-4370-BCE1-6AB14A85960938EFBA68-A431-429B-B8E9-DACDDBCC9770.jpg

I don't love the Futur. I've received many great shaves from it, once I used to learn it properly. Because I head shave, though, I'm forever slicing my ears. The exposed blade is so much greater on a Futur that an accidental brush of the ear leads to a scene worthy of an Argento movie.

i bought my futur from someone that said it was just to aggressive for them, and was glad to get if off of their hands. i hate to say it, but it is the best if have used. i am sad because it makes me neglect some of my other great vintage razors. i use it set around 3 most of the time, and i get the closet and most comfortable shaves. it seems that people either love it or hate it.... i count myself as a big fan.

I have both; a Progress (Mergress retrofit) and a Futur ( and a Vision 2000, for good measure). An adjustable is your best bet. Mergress is my real favorite, but all three can do the trick, with the right blade and soap. I have seen advice on the thorough cleaning of the Vision, but not the Futur. The vision is enormously more complicated than the Futur. If I use the Mergress at a setting of 2.5, I'll be.use the Futur at 2. The Vision's settings are hard to even describe. Instead of numbers, it has the letters of vision spread around the dial. I guess I was at about 4 out of 7. But it's not a real 7: at the lowest setting, the razor is completely closed. No blade exposure at all. It's supposed to be a travel setting, I believe.

Last edited:
To deep clean the Futur, you need to push the head down firmly, while unscrewing the adjustment sleeve on the handle. The threads on the head part tend to corrode, given that it is die cast from Zamak, and cannot be cleaned without disassembling the razor as above. I think it is a good idea to put a smear of silicone scuba diving grease on the thread of the head after cleaning and drying both it and the thread in the handle. To reassemble push the head against the quite firm spring and then fully screw up the handle. If you don't push the top firmly enough, it will not close down to be in the adjustment range as it has not got past the end of range detent and will be far too open. I still don't like the Futur and mine sits unused in the cupboard.

I recently bought a Razolution twin blade razor. It is even more aggressive than the Futur and will become another cupboard queen. I should have realised it was a silly gimmick, as how can you hold two parallel, non-staggered blades at the correct angle, particularly under your chin.

Last edited:
Futur is aggressive. Like a vintage Gem you do have to pay attention. The Futur is my everyday shave with an Astra Superior Stainless blade but I have noticed that the wax used to stick the wrapper to the blade can be excessive at times. Now before I put in the new blade I shave off the wax with a single edge. This excess can make the blade alignment a bit wavy when it contacts the parts of the head.

Tom D.

Futur is aggressive. Like a vintage Gem you do have to pay attention. The Futur is my everyday shave with an Astra Superior Stainless blade but I have noticed that the wax used to stick the wrapper to the blade can be excessive at times. Now before I put in the new blade I shave off the wax with a single edge. This excess can make the blade alignment a bit wavy when it contacts the parts of the head.

Tom D.
It's aggressive even at the lowest setting?

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Ah, the Futur. It scares so many. It was my first DE, and the only one I've used for the last 8+ years. IMO the Perfect Razor. It can handle any blade with the proper setting. I use mine at 6+ with most blades, even the dreaded Feather. All it takes is a little care and respect, and with practice anyone can master it. I'm currently trying out an ATT cap and H1 Base plate (on a Weber Classic handle) to see if I want to change up. I'll know in a week.

Top Bottom