What's new

Is Lynn Abrams still Honing for Hire ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Been away a while ....

After months of Safety Razor shaving I want to get my Le Grelots back in shave state.

Is Lynn Abrams still the best Honemeister and does he still provide a honing service ?

Thanks !!

When did he become "the best Honemeister"? After all, he can't even get a GD to shave properly. WE CAN. HE doesn't even think it is possible. We don't see any problem. So obviously the average honemeister here is better than the "best" honemeister "over there". Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what THEY say. I even got banned on my first day for suggesting that a GD properly modded was a great razor. They won't even consider their vaunted skills up to the task of making a GD shave-ready, something that we routinely do here. Therefore and Obviously, Badgermen are better honers.

That other forum is the place to look for your answer, though. Like Seraphim says, we are doing the lapping film mambo here. After three or four film-powered honing sessions under our excelent and knowledgeable tutelage, you yourself will be getting edges as good or better than "that other" honeperson. Film is super easy to learn and gives really nice, consistent results. You don't need JNats, Cotis, Shaptons, etc, though they are certainly fun to use. $20 will get you going with lapping film. The smallest coti will cost more than that, and a nice big 70mm or 75mm x 200mm or longer one will cost 20 times that much. And ONE honing by almost anybody will cost that much. At this point I suggest you do it yourself. If you are nervous, get one of Larry's whippeddogs for your backup razor while you play around with your Le Grelot and some film.

All good fun.

Lynn has an account on B&B and a lot of us have accounts on Lynn's forum, so we're all "one big happy family" sorta. If one brother tries to provoke another well, it's all good.

right?

hmmmm..... where is that breakdown on how many razors he would have had to hone daily over the 15yrs to equal the "in excess of 40,000" he has honed...

and if i remember correctly he was picking up a tidy $53k in spare cash honing....

wow... wish i could hone like that.... 99% of the time i hone for free.....

need to work on that business plan...

1... hone the razors...
2... ??????
3... PROFIT!!!

I am The GRAND POOBAH Of HONING!

Look upon my works, oh ye mighty and despair!!!

Lowly honemeisters are but bothersome gnats nipping at my ankles as I exist upon the rarified air of single micron excellence.

Pay no attention to that pasted cotton belt behind that curtain! Honing razors is no simple thing! No! We must have obfuscation, hyperbole, innuendo, and bravado!
Maybe you're Attila the Hon?

Been away a while ....

After months of Safety Razor shaving I want to get my Le Grelots back in shave state.

Is Lynn Abrams still the best Honemeister and does he still provide a honing service ?

Thanks !!

I needed a good laugh today. I'm going to go to the Pepsi headquarters and ask for a Coke. :lol:

I have to say that the other forum is a business not a brotherhood like it is here. I am sure that Slash can agree with me that it is nice to be able to have an opinion around here without the fear of getting banned. I got banned for continuously stating that it is not impossible for a person to start learning how to hone on a coticule. I would like to know the percentage of people here that started on a coticule like I did and get great edges from it. Yes it does take some "romancing" to be able to coax the best edge out of one but I think that is the fun part about natural stones, not that someone can tell you how many strokes in your pyramid it should take to get your razor sharp.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I needed a good laugh today. I'm going to go to the Pepsi headquarters and ask for a Coke. :lol:

And if they were smart, they would sell you one, at a reasonable markup, rather than see a paying customer with cash in hand walk away. I could never understand fast food joints knuckling under to a soft drink company and refusing to sell one or the other. Especially in the case of Pepsi. Yes, I know, Pepsi owns several fast food brands. But they are idiots to refuse to sell Coke. When they won't sell Coke, lots of potential customers are lost. FOOD customers. The drink is small potatoes when you are selling $5 burgers or burritos and a hungry person won't go in and buy because they only sell Pepsi. If it was me, I would TAKE those customers, KEEP those customers, even if I had to sell my competitor's product alongside my own, to do it.

I bet if you went to CocaCola's headquarters and asked for a Pepsi, they would sell you one. They might think you are some sort of retard, but they would take your money.

Pepsi and their fastfood henchmen are soda nazis. BAD soda nazis, BAD!

Oops... is that off topic?

Legion

Staff member
Seraphim isn't a honemiester. He is the honemaestro.

Hone-Shyster?

And if they were smart, they would sell you one, at a reasonable markup, rather than see a paying customer with cash in hand walk away. I could never understand fast food joints knuckling under to a soft drink company and refusing to sell one or the other. Especially in the case of Pepsi. Yes, I know, Pepsi owns several fast food brands. But they are idiots to refuse to sell Coke. When they won't sell Coke, lots of potential customers are lost. FOOD customers. The drink is small potatoes when you are selling $5 burgers or burritos and a hungry person won't go in and buy because they only sell Pepsi. If it was me, I would TAKE those customers, KEEP those customers, even if I had to sell my competitor's product alongside my own, to do it.

I bet if you went to CocaCola's headquarters and asked for a Pepsi, they would sell you one. They might think you are some sort of retard, but they would take your money.

Pepsi and their fastfood henchmen are soda nazis. BAD soda nazis, BAD!

Oops... is that off topic?

Head through the drive-through at McDonalds and refuse to move on until they make you a large thin and crispy with extra anchovy's, plus a serve of garlic bread. Then scream "The customer is always right!!!" into the speaker. They love that.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I would normally recommend closing this thread, if it weren't so damn funny.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hone-Shyster?

Head through the drive-through at McDonalds and refuse to move on until they make you a large thin and crispy with extra anchovy's, plus a serve of garlic bread. Then scream "The customer is always right!!!" into the speaker. They love that.

First of all, a customer who wants extra anchovies probably isn't right at all. :w00t:

Second, it is easier to set up for multiple drink options than multiple cuisine options. If you sell burgers out of a 1600 square foot building with indoor dining, it probably isn't practical to train your french fry techs to make pizza or to install pizza ovens, etc. Plus the service model is one of taking only a couple of minutes to take a customer's order, cook it, and present it, and a pizza is about 15 minutes, minimum, which would destroy the whole model. McDonalds would probably love to sell me a $15 pizza instead of a $4 burger if it were practical. The soda fountain is do-able. It is all about preventing sales, one at a time, of the competitor's soft drink, which is short-sighted and drives off customers. This is especially true with Pepsi owned franchises. I believe Coke customers are still the majority. When is the last time you heard someone in a bar ask for a "Bourbon and Pepsi"?

If it were me, I would offer both brands, and raise the price a bit, then offer a special half-off price on my own product. The customer can conveniently purchase the competitor's brand instead of walking away without buying anything. There would be an incentive to try the in-house brand. (Ewwww! Pepsi sucks!) Either way, I get to sell food and a drink to the customer. Either way I make a profit on both. Either way, my competitor LOSES A CUSTOMER AND I GAIN OR KEEP ONE, and the competitor only makes wholesale on their soft drinks that I sell, if that.

I sometimes go to Taco Bell. I stop somewhere for a Coke and take it in with me. I don't switch from something I like, to something I don't like, just because someone else, who is taking my money, wants me to.

I would like to know the percentage of people here that started on a coticule like I did and get great edges from it. Yes it does take some "romancing" to be able to coax the best edge out of one but I think that is the fun part about natural stones

I had the chance to learn to hone in the beginning when I started straight razor shaving (although there are some who say you shouldn't start honing until you have lots of experience shaving with a straight) . It's not difficult at all, just like shaving it takes some practice but I certainly wouldn't pay money to get my razors sharpened. btw if you look around there are plenty people who sharpen the occasional razor for free if you're willing to pay the postage.

If it were me, I would offer both brands, and raise the price a bit, then offer a special half-off price on my own product. The customer can conveniently purchase the competitor's brand instead of walking away without buying anything. There would be an incentive to try the in-house brand. (Ewwww! Pepsi sucks!) Either way, I get to sell food and a drink to the customer. Either way I make a profit on both. Either way, my competitor LOSES A CUSTOMER AND I GAIN OR KEEP ONE, and the competitor only makes wholesale on their soft drinks that I sell, if that.

And where would you get these wonderful drinks, since both companies would refuse to provide you product unless you sign an exclusivity deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom