What's new

Is it worth wearing a watch?

I absolutely have to wear a watch. I feel naked without one.
I'm a Seiko fan as well. I bought this watch as a young teenager with my hard-earned cash from my summer job in '99. I still wear it almost exclusively today. I had a jeweler clean up the links on the bracelet a few months ago so it looks almost new.

proxy.php

B

bluefoxicy

Aww how cute, their little alarmclock icon shows you what time it is.

Funny, it shows that before the digital version.

o.o

the alarm clock actually shows the correct time?

Wasn't it in Douglas Adams' book The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that Earth was described as "so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea."?

I really like analog watches. There was a time (late 90s?) when digital watches fell out of favor when compared to analogs.

I recently bought a Casio F91W to add to my collection (Watch Den ??), but it was mostly out of nostalgia from having one when I was a teen. I think of it as a kind of vintage item nowadays.

You guys suck :001_tongu I was perfectly happy with my Guess watches. Now I have to have a Orient dive watch. These are the two that bit me not sure what color yet. Christmas is coming.

proxy.php
proxy.php

A good watch is a required piece of equipment and a wise man once said never trust a man that wears a digital watch.

You guys suck :001_tongu I was perfectly happy with my Guess watches. Now I have to have a Orient dive watch. These are the two that bit me not sure what color yet. Christmas is coming.

proxy.php
proxy.php

I recently bought the blue one. Great watch! Amazingly accurate for a $100 mechanical.

To answer the OP - Yes, it is worth it to wear a watch, preferably with significant water resistance. A must have accessory for every gentleman. A good pocket knife is another.

(guys who pull the cell out of their pocket to see the time look like tools.)

A good watch is a required piece of equipment and a wise man once said never trust a man that wears a digital watch.

To answer the OP - Yes, it is worth it to wear a watch, preferably with significant water resistance. A must have accessory for every gentleman. A good pocket knife is another.

I agree. A man wears a watch. For anyone over 13, "wearing a watch" means wearing an analog watch, except I guess digital is acceptable in casual situations if you need some heart rate monitor, barometer, or compass on your watch.

For me I really enjoy the asthetic design of watches as well as their funtionality. Quartz watches can look good and do their job. They just work and are cheap to buy. Citizen's eco drive system is even more efficient. I view a watch as a tool to do a job, but at the same time can be a small functional piece of art. Mechanical watches are trully an amazement to me. Having a small machine on your wrist that is run by a spring and gears is uttelry awesome.

I recently bought the blue one. Great watch! Amazingly accurate for a $100 mechanical.

I would be lost without a watch and a pocket knife too!

I've never much liked wearing wristwatches. I've got thin arms and always felt a little silly the way most watches fit me. I do like to carry a pocket watch, though. My absolute favorite is a Hamilton from the 40s that belonged to my grandfather. It's a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

proxy.php
proxy.php

1) It is much easier to glance at my wrist to tell the time than it is to dig a phone out of my pocket.
2) I don't mean to be argumenative here, but when I see people checking their phones often I think of 13 year old schoolgirls constantly texting each other.
3) My watch battery lasts several years. When it's time to replace, it probably needs a thorough cleaning and maybe even a new crystal, so to the jewler it goes for a tune-up.
4) I really enjoy my watch and get a lot of compliments on it. It is much more than a time-telling device, it is an accessory to my wardrobe.

Yep on all the above

All these comments about people not being able to read analogue time are surprising, I'm only 23 and we did analogue time in primary school. Aside from that my parents bought me an analogue watch when I was very young and told me I wasn't allowed to own a digital clock until I could read it, it didn't take all that long to pick up the habit either.

Plus if I ever need to find north my analogue watch will be a help.

With clocks everywhere, and cell phones omnipresent, watches are indeed nearly redundant.

But they still show your style, and it is one of the first things a woman will notice on you along with your shoes.

And even if it's an inexpensive watch it can be stylish and it should be analog.

I have a cell phone (pocket watch).

Watches for me have always been "battery dies in 5 years, then you get a new watch." I had a Casio calculator watch that lasted like 12 years on the same battery (!), the band broke before the power ran out.

Over time this has become "battery died." Seriously, I have a cell phone. The battery's rechargeable. It's not like a watch is going to plug in and recharge; the battery dies eventually and you have to go inside.

I actually went through watch withdrawal for like 3 or 4 years... just never bothered to buy another watch, eventually stopped wanting one hanging on my wrist.

Have you ever tried an automatic watch? No batteries needed.

I remember as a kid always wearing a watch, then during my teens i did away with the watch and replaced it with the phone.. Now im back to a watch.. Much more convenient then pulling out your phone to check the time!

Top Bottom