What's new

Is it worth wearing a watch?

A fine watch is much more than an appliance for the telling of time, especially a mechanical watch. It is a work of art, a personal statement. Sure, it can be an extravagance, but, for many, the pride of ownership of a such a mechanical masterpiece is worth the price of admission.

Check the "Watch Ya Wearin'" thread for some ideas of what I am talking about.

enjoy!

Saved me some typing...Thank You :cool:

Doesn't anyone think it odd that most people have gone back to carrying a pocket watch? (Mobile phone!)

I have several watches, none that expensive. My best ones are an early sixties Omega Seamaster left to me by my late father in law, and a nice Hamilton railroad model pocket watch from around 1920 that I carry when playing my squeeze box as a wrist watch gets in the way of the bellows strap. I have several other old pocket watches, Waltham, an old English key wind, a cheap Chinese one with a picture of Chairman Mao, a Sekonda (my beater)

Ok, so I like watches...

Gareth

huh? How do you run an LCD without draining the battery?

Automatics are only analog, so no LCD.

As far as I know, there are no LCD based watches that don't need a battery. The closest you'll get is a Kinetic or Eco-Drive, but I've never seen any that aren't analog.

Replacing the battery every few years isn't that bad. If it is that much of a hassle you could always get an automatic.

To not wear a timepiece is like not wearing pants.

B

bluefoxicy

Automatics are only analog, so no LCD.

As far as I know, there are no LCD based watches that don't need a battery. The closest you'll get is a Kinetic or Eco-Drive, but I've never seen any that aren't analog.

i.e. no functionally useful watches that don't need a battery. I'd still be pulling out my cell phone to find out what time it is. Not that the cell phone is great either (after 2 years, the battery doesn't hold a charge but half as long).

Granted the batteries tend to last more than 5 years, but I'm not sure I know how to actually replace one... or find a watch that'll last 5 years itself, yeesh. Well the calculator watch lasted longer than that (on the original battery no less), eventually the band broke.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I look forward to the day when I won't need to wear a watch (and STILL won't own a cellphone. :001_tongu)

While we are in the workforce, we tend to need to know the time fairly exactly to do our jobs properly. Eventually, I'll get to retire and leave my watch on the dresser to collect dust ... and then when people on the street ask me for the time, I'll stop, glance at the sun, and say something like "oh, it's probably about three, three thirty or so. Maybe four."

I'd feel more comfortable walking around in a leopard print thong than go without a watch. Last time mine went in for service, not wearing one drove me nuts!

My feeling is that it is totally worth it. It doesn't have to be fancy... it's just a convienience thing. Before I got my current watch, I had been without one for several months because I was too lazy to get my old one repaired (the wrist band broke whist I was chopping fire wood.) There wasn't a day that went by that I wasn't kicking myself in the *** for being a lazy schmuck and not getting my watch fixed while I dug into my pocket to check my cell phone for the time.

I'd feel more comfortable walking around in a leopard print thong than go without a watch. Last time mine went in for service, not wearing one drove me nuts!

Here is a Rolex to go with that thong :lol:

proxy.php

I've gone nearly a year without one and still look at my wrist to tell the time and realise its not there. I've ordered a new watch to put a stop to this quirk.

Sorry for the slight thread hijack, but...

I've always liked the look of a wristwatch, but find them to be uncomfortable...I have fairly thick wrists, and most watches don't fit. I've had leather band watches, which were always tight on the very last hole, metal clasp watches, which never fit well, and stretchy band watches, which always pinch and cause pain.

I do have a nice Fossil pocket watch, that I've been meaning to send in and get fixed. I haven't done it yet, because wearing a pocket watch is no more convenient that pulling out a cell phone to check the time (though much classier).

Any suggestions on how I can get a hold of an inexpensive wristwatch (I'd be willing to spend around $50, I think), that would actually fit??

Always have worn a watch...I would be lost without it. My daughter has never worn one and uses her cell phone...whatever works.

Top Bottom