What's new

Is it worth wearing a watch?

Is it worth wearing a watch?

What a great and personal question. For myself yes it is. I have always felt getting a watch was one of those rights of passage. Children don’t wear watches as they have no place to be and have very little to no responsibility. Wearing a watch is a tool to being a man. You are a responsible adult that has places to be and things to do. How can you show up on time if you have no idea what the time is. To me a watch meant you were a productive member of society that aids you in manly pursuits.
That was of course pre smart phone era.
Old man rant time.
As a child I was taught men should do everything with intent, purpose and determination. As such we should stick to doing one thing, do it well and move onto the next. Leave multitasking to women. They are good at that. If you are talking to someone, talk to them. If you are going somewhere, go there. If you are doing something, do it. Smart phones are great multitasking devices. I can listen to music, surf the internet, Read books, text, tell the time and yes even make a phone call. But I find it gets in the way of my manly pursuits.
Example: I am walking to the store but I need to be at X place by X o’clock. Let me check my phone for the time. Oh look I have a new text. Better respond to that. Oh a Facebook update from my cousin. As quick as quick can be I am distracted from walking to the store and I am now stopped or sauntering. Not paying attention to my task at hand or my surrounding environment. How many people have you seen walk into traffic distracted by a smart phone. Not doing anything to the best of my abilities. Wearing a watch derails all this. What the time? There it is. Keep moving.
Old man rant over.
One more thing. I will be giving my son a watch when is old enough and teach him the value of doing one thing, doing it well and then moving onto the next task.
Johnny

Well, the functionality of a cell phone alarm clock is very different from what my Omega Seamaster does as well.
The Omega is only a timepiece, that functions without needing a battery, while the cell phone has numerous functions, but is dead without electrical power.

Maybe an electric razor versus a DE razor would be a better analogy?

Your Omega is probably more like a straight razor!

One watch that I think would be really cool as a piece of jewelry is the Piaget Altiplano. I think that one really makes a statement about engineering and design.

Well i'm biased at saying its worth it but on top off that its got to be a mechanical watch, whether a hand cranker or automatic... I do own a few nice G-shocks that are quartz and a 1979 Seiko Alien (named after the movie) thay Ripley wore in the movie ( i dont own the exact watch she wore just the same model)... Back to the question at hand, if i just wanted a watch that told the time i could spend 25-50 dollars and have a watch that kept better time than 99.9% of the hand made mechanical watch. I tell people that just dont get it "a quartz watch tells the time and a Mechanical watch tells a story", just open up a 100 to 150 year old pocket watch and wind it up if it goes just look at all those gears, springs all working together that someone made for it to tell pretty good time.... Look at the newer stuff coming out of Switzerland, Germany, Japan and even the USA (most movements still are ETA) in these US watch companies but they are making a comback. Roland Murphy of RGM just built a USA hand cranker movement thats amazing, i know that prices are high but there are a bunch of solid middle of the road brands that are built very well and the secondary market is a way to get a like new watch for the third of the price on a lot of brands. then there are brands that prices are going up, vintage Rolex & Patek's go for a fortune... In the end buy what you like and wear them, enjoy them mainly dont let them go the way of DE razors... there are kids in high school who cant read an analog watch in this digital age and that is just sad..

Well i'm biased at saying its worth it but on top off that its got to be a mechanical watch, whether a hand cranker or automatic... I do own a few nice G-shocks that are quartz and a 1979 Seiko Alien (named after the movie) thay Ripley wore in the movie ( i dont own the exact watch she wore just the same model)... Back to the question at hand, if i just wanted a watch that told the time i could spend 25-50 dollars and have a watch that kept better time than 99.9% of the hand made mechanical watch. I tell people that just dont get it "a quartz watch tells the time and a Mechanical watch tells a story", just open up a 100 to 150 year old pocket watch and wind it up if it goes just look at all those gears, springs all working together that someone made for it to tell pretty good time.... Look at the newer stuff coming out of Switzerland, Germany, Japan and even the USA (most movements still are ETA) in these US watch companies but they are making a comback. Roland Murphy of RGM just built a USA hand cranker movement thats amazing, i know that prices are high but there are a bunch of solid middle of the road brands that are built very well and the secondary market is a way to get a like new watch for the third of the price on a lot of brands. then there are brands that prices are going up, vintage Rolex & Patek's go for a fortune... In the end buy what you like and wear them, enjoy them mainly dont let them go the way of DE razors... there are kids in high school who cant read an analog watch in this digital age and that is just sad..

Well said!

A watch is a fashion choice for many people.

It also depends on your job. There are many positions that if you are a younger person and check your phone for the time, people will just assume that you are playing on your phone at work. Wearing a watch eliminates that and gives a more professional appearance.

This my approach. Its semi-functional jewelry. And I don't mind that at all. All of the "investment piece," "not junk," and "culture" stuff in this thread is just trying to shoe horn logic into what is a very emotional purchase. A cheap digital watch is more accurate than the most durable mechanical watch and a decent one, like a g-shock, is more reliable/tougher than one too. I choose not to go digital because I dislike the aesthetic but I do not pretend that its because of some objective functional reason like people who pretend changing a watch battery is rocket surgery, or that we are consistently being bombarded with EMP attacks or that non-mechanical watches fall apart randomly after 2 week where mechanical will outlast the pyramids or whatever.

I don't care if you like/prefer mechanicals or high end watches but for a lot of people, especially on this site, it really is a 'retrosexual' thing where you are chasing an idea/time/image and trying replicate a moment in the past as closely as possible. Because honestly, mechanical watches are basically obsolete technology that Swiss watch-makers successfully marketed as something superior/important/useful/desirable.

there are kids in high school who cant read an analog watch in this digital age and that is just sad..

Why is that sad? They don't know how to grow food or shave with a DE either. :)

Pretty soon, cooking with processed ingredients will also become a lost art. Now that's sad!

I stopped wearing a watch years ago, when I had to start carrying a cell phone.
I own a Rolex, an 18K gold Chronograph Suisse, and a half dozen quartz watches, they just sit in a drawer.
Maybe if I am going out to a fancy dinner or a party I will put one on.
I NEVER travel anywhere with a watch.
In the summer I can't wear anything with a metal band the perspiration irritates my skin.
So I just said screw it, and stopped wearing them.

I stopped wearing a watch years ago, when I had to start carrying a cell phone.
I own a Rolex, an 18K gold Chronograph Suisse, and a half dozen quartz watches, they just sit in a drawer.
Maybe if I am going out to a fancy dinner or a party I will put one on.
I NEVER travel anywhere with a watch.
In the summer I can't wear anything with a metal band the perspiration irritates my skin.
So I just said screw it, and stopped wearing them.

NATO strap.

This my approach. Its semi-functional jewelry. And I don't mind that at all. All of the "investment piece," "not junk," and "culture" stuff in this thread is just trying to shoe horn logic into what is a very emotional purchase. A cheap digital watch is more accurate than the most durable mechanical watch and a decent one, like a g-shock, is more reliable/tougher than one too. I choose not to go digital because I dislike the aesthetic but I do not pretend that its because of some objective functional reason like people who pretend changing a watch battery is rocket surgery, or that we are consistently being bombarded with EMP attacks or that non-mechanical watches fall apart randomly after 2 week where mechanical will outlast the pyramids or whatever.

I don't care if you like/prefer mechanicals or high end watches but for a lot of people, especially on this site, it really is a 'retrosexual' thing where you are chasing an idea/time/image and trying replicate a moment in the past as closely as possible. Because honestly, mechanical watches are basically obsolete technology that Swiss watch-makers successfully marketed as something superior/important/useful/desirable.

Does anybody need a watch in 2015? No.

Most men have a few personal items -- their "everyday carry" -- and some of us value quality in those few items.

I have an IWC watch and a Casio watch that I bought around ten years ago.

I wear the IWC daily. It has some wear on it, but every time I look at it I'm impressed at how well it has held up. I appreciate the watch more now than when I bought it. One of my sons will inherit this watch 30 years from now.

The Casio is somewhere in my closet, dead and destined for a landfill. I feel a bit of shame when I see it, because it's just one more piece of plastic I used up and threw away.

Those little moments -- the moment of micro-admiration or micro-shame -- are part of the experience of owning these watches.

Mind you, if I were in the Special Forces or something the Casio would be a good choice. But I'm not. The IWC was a good choice. It keeps time as well as anyone could ever need it to.

At this point in my life there are a handful of items that I use daily -- my watch, my razor, my wallet -- and I derive a little bit of pleasure each day from their quality. Some people get that, some people don't.

YMMV :)

it really is a 'retrosexual' thing where you are chasing an idea/time/image and trying replicate a moment in the past as closely as possible.

Or one could admire the mechanical engineering that an automatic watch represents.

Besides that, if you pick up a timex weekender and hold it in the same hand as even the entry level seiko 5, and you feel no difference that matters anything to you, then good for you. You will probably save yourself a lot of money on watches.

It's a reflexive action to tell the time once one becomes used to it; a quick glance at a slightly turned wrist.

"Faster than a speeding cell phone"... and much more convenient and classy.

Yep, it's worth it for me to wear a watch.

Top Bottom