What's new

Is it "gauche" to carry and use a gold pen.

...if you are wearing silver/ss/silver belt buckle, watch, cuff links etc.....and vice versa (silver pen with gold watch etc).

Do you choose your pen style du jour based on the other stuff you are wearing?

Unless it's a formal occasion, I barely pick the stuff I wear based on the other stuff I'm wearing.:001_cool: I can't imagine picking a pen based on what I'm wearing. But to each his own.

Even though when it comes to dress I pretty strictly abide by "the rules," so to speak, mixing metals has never been one I've paid much attention to. I don't wear that much jewelry anyway, but if I have on a silver-tone watch and a gold-tone belt buckle I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Just like I wouldn't expect myself to switch over all of my cards and money from my usual brown leather wallet to a black one just because I've got on black pants for the day.

I say carry the pen that pleases you, and let the rest of them sort it out. If I thought a gold pen was going to cause snickers among the soi-disant cool people, I might bust it out for that reason alone. Look straight ahead, I say. Not to either side of you.

For me a pen is a tool, not a fashion accessory. I don't have any belts or tie clips that are gold, but I will often have my M200 in my shirt pocket while wearing a suit, and it has a gold clip. I don't worry about it.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
...if you are wearing silver/ss/silver belt buckle, watch, cuff links etc.....and vice versa (silver pen with gold watch etc).

Do you choose your pen style du jour based on the other stuff you are wearing?

Never. I wear and use what I want. For lunch today with my sister it was shorts and a t-shirt, happy socks and my Sailor Pro Gear King of Pen.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
For me a pen is a tool, not a fashion accessory. I don't have any belts or tie clips that are gold, but I will often have my M200 in my shirt pocket while wearing a suit, and it has a gold clip. I don't worry about it.

+1

Nah, my clothing has no bearing on my choice of pens. If anyone is offended that my writing implements dont match something I'm wearing, that's their problem.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I don't do it regularly, but I have done it for weddings and formal occasions. When I do match my pens with my clothes or dress style, I don't do it to impress anyone. I do it if I feel like being aesthetically coordinated.

I hadn't really thought of this and was going to immediately answer no, but then realized that if I'm in jeans and flannel shirt, I tend to grab my Fisher Bullet Space Pen and stick it in my pocket rather than have a vintage fountain pen in my shirt pocket. Mmmm, might be the perfect reason to pick up a Kaweco Al Sport!!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I hadn't really thought of this and was going to immediately answer no, but then realized that if I'm in jeans and flannel shirt, I tend to grab my Fisher Bullet Space Pen and stick it in my pocket rather than have a vintage fountain pen in my shirt pocket. Mmmm, might be the perfect reason to pick up a Kaweco Al Sport!!

I didn't use my Sport demonstrator much at all, but I got an AL Sport a few months ago and I carry it quite often. Give one a-go. AL Sports are made for flannel shirts!

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Lately in my pocket has been at least two of the following three: Platinum 3776 Century Bourgogne (gold), Pelikan M200 (gold), TWSBI 580 (silver). And at one time or another today was a Parker 45 (burgundy with gold clip/stainless cap)

Other days, it will be something with a silver clip only. In other words, I don't match my pen to my clothes - or even my watch or rings. Every day I wear my wedding band (white gold) and another ring on my right hand that is yellow gold with onyx and diamonds. Watches will be anything from the stainless steel Submariner knockoff with blue dial today to a rose gold Stuhrling Original Winchester Plaza. I have several watches that are diver style. Rose gold/black, gold/blue, stainless/blue, two tone (gunmetal/stainless & black bezel) among others. One is Orange dial and bezel/stainless case. I mix and match.

Nope I carry whatever pen I have that is already inked up. No matter what you wear or carry ie pen, watch, camera, etc there will be someone sneering at you for whatever their reasons.

i usually save my stainless and gold sonnet for more formal events, it stands out. but not so much to make an over statement.

I am not aware of anyone who would pay attention to the color of your pen and relate it to any of your other metal accessories.

Depends on the pen, and on the circumstances. It's easy to imagine an occasion where Anniversary Pelikan would make a very different impression than, say, a plated Cross ballpoint - good, or bad.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
IMG_3147.JPG
Depends on your perspective

Top Bottom