What's new

Is a Monteverde better than a Pilot?

I’m quite new to the fountain pen experience but I am starting to see why so many are into it.

I own a Pilot Metropolitan with a medium nib and a 1MM stub nib. I took the medium to work but I didn’t find it useful on the cheap paper and the hurry I am usually in to scribble notes while a half a dozen people yell suggestions at me. So I picked up another Pilot Metro but with a fine gel rollerball and that works great for work purposes.

I have been looking at other pens for a future purchase and the one I like the most right now is the Monteverde Invincia Deluxe in black and rose gold. It looks nice to me and has a #6 nib that I can replace with many nibs available from Goulet Pens. But at $100 is it really that much better than getting a couple more Metros at $15 each?
It looks very nice but I don’t have anyone to impress so I was thinking I could buy a few of the metros with different nibs and use different inks and just swap them out anytime having each one loaded with a different color.

Would the writing experience be that much better with a Monteverde or another pen of presumably higher quality?

I’m quite new to the fountain pen experience but I am starting to see why so many are into it.

I own a Pilot Metropolitan with a medium nib and a 1MM stub nib. I took the medium to work but I didn’t find it useful on the cheap paper and the hurry I am usually in to scribble notes while a half a dozen people yell suggestions at me. So I picked up another Pilot Metro but with a fine gel rollerball and that works great for work purposes.

I have been looking at other pens for a future purchase and the one I like the most right now is the Monteverde Invincia Deluxe in black and rose gold. It looks nice to me and has a #6 nib that I can replace with many nibs available from Goulet Pens. But at $100 is it really that much better than getting a couple more Metros at $15 each?
It looks very nice but I don’t have anyone to impress so I was thinking I could buy a few of the metros with different nibs and use different inks and just swap them out anytime having each one loaded with a different color.

Would the writing experience be that much better with a Monteverde or another pen of presumably higher quality?
It might be better but I doubt it will work on your cheap work paper. Finer nib and drier ink may be your choices there.

If the metros work for your hand and writing style I would stick with those. A Fine may just work on your work paper but the rollerball sounds like it already is doing what you want it to!

If you want a heftier pen, Pelikan M200 can be found for under the $100 mark if you look around. They have quite a following. The Monteverde is probably fine, I've just never used one so I can't compare.

IMHO, Monteverde is not better than Pilot. That said, there are multiple layers of offerings by Pilot. They range from lowest priced introductory or school pens to high priced premium pens. Generally, even the lower priced pens by Pilot are of better value than those of Monteverde. The Metropolitan line is on the lower end of the Pilot spectrum. I would recommend moving up the lines of Pilot than purchasing a Monteverde, for whatever that is worth.

I'm not going to try to use fountain pens at work anymore. For what I have to do I don't think they are the right tool for the job.
They will only be used at home or on the road and only with paper that is fountain pen friendly.

It was really more of a "why buy an expensive pen?" kind of question.

IMHO, Monteverde is not better than Pilot. That said, there are multiple layers of offerings by Pilot. They range from lowest priced introductory or school pens to high priced premium pens. Generally, even the lower priced pens by Pilot are of better value than those of Monteverde. The Metropolitan line is on the lower end of the Pilot spectrum. I would recommend moving up the lines of Pilot than purchasing a Monteverde, for whatever that is worth.

Thanks that's kind of what I was thinking. Is there a particular Pilot you would recommend?

A Pilot Prera is a solid, mid-sized pen that can be found ~ $40USD. You will need to purchase a separate converter so expect the total cost ~ $50USD.

I would buy a vanishing point. You will understand where your money was invested when you have it in hand. (Disclaimer, I don't own a Monte Verde, but have found Pilots to be wonderful tools/writing instruments )

I would buy a vanishing point. You will understand where your money was invested when you have it in hand. (Disclaimer, I don't own a Monte Verde, but have found Pilots to be wonderful tools/writing instruments )

I was looking at those earlier. They look like very nice pens and I like that I can change the nib assembly. The assemblies are a bit expensive but they appear to include everything needed to ink it up and go and I can get them from EF to 1MM stub.
The reviews seem positive for that line.

I was looking at those earlier. They look like very nice pens and I like that I can change the nib assembly. The assemblies are a bit expensive but they appear to include everything needed to ink it up and go and I can get them from EF to 1MM stub.
The reviews seem positive for that line.
I really enjoy mine...10 years ago I would have told you that this was a great pen, but not worth $100.00...10 years later, I will tell you for $10.00 a year it has been worth every dime. Really a great pen/tool. I only wish that I was not so cheap/frugal and would just buy a fine nib for mine...I've been telling myself for 10 years that I need to. The medium nib that I have is great, I should have a fine to switch out though.

From what I read it looks like the fine and medium on the VP are the same as the metro. I like the medium on the metro but I tend to write pretty small so I plan to purchase it in fine. Thanks for the insight.
I still have a month or two to consider my next purchase but right now the VP looks good to me.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Monteverde is a Chinese pen, the Pilot is Japanese. At least mine is -- I hope they haven't picked up and moved the Metropolitan factory from Japan.
Nothing against Chinese pens but they can be a gamble where Japanese pens usually are more of a solid bet on quality.

I think your problem at work could be solved with a better paper and ink combo if possible.

Monteverde is a Chinese pen, the Pilot is Japanese. At least mine is -- I hope they haven't picked up and moved the Metropolitan factory from Japan.
Nothing against Chinese pens but they can be a gamble where Japanese pens usually are more of a solid bet on quality.

I think your problem at work could be solved with a better paper and ink combo if possible.

It definitely could and I am considering it but the rollerball works great and when my $15 pen eventually walks away by itself I won't be too upset. :001_huh:

I'd just like a nicer pen for home use. The Metro seems fine for now but that VP looks sweet.

If you are just going to use it at home and not in any hurry when you need to open it I would suggest maybe a pilot custom heritage 91 or custom heritage 92 or the custom 74 I have the 91 and the soft fine medium nib on it is really great I can't think of a better upgrade into the entry level gold nib pens

The only Pilot I have currently is the Metropolitan in Medium. I have other pens I like more, but I do like the Metro. When you have crappy paper, the right ink nib combination is even more important.

I wasn't trying to dissuade your thoughts on a Monteverde but since everyone is saying Pilot, I will confess to loving Pelikans but I've spent more on Pilots... Used Pelikans can be stolen sometimes. But regardless. I live my two Vanishing Points. My 912 is a great pen. I wouldn't think twice about getting a smaller one. I imagine I would love them all.

$IMG_4247.jpg
I second the Pilot Vanishing Point pen. I find them handy both at home or at work. Just a simple click and I'm ready to write. Like you said the interchangeable nib system is great and they are wonderful writers. If you write smaller I'd suggest the fine nib. I have no regrets in having my VP's.

Top Bottom