What's new

Irritation

One thing that helps me is to keep the full length of the blade in play. For instance when I shave the center of the neck I start at the highest point using the heel for a stroke or 2. At the next point I start with a point on the blade a bit closer to the center for a couple more down strokes. And so it goes. So as the shave line gets lower I continue to shift the contact point of the blade towards the toe. You can keep working like this as needed.

That's a good idea. A good way to ensure the entire edge gets incorporated into the shave.
Just make sure that as you make the horizontal adjustments blade-to-skin that you allow enough space to avoid cuts. There can be a tendency to do this too close. Its super easy to cut your self but once you get it down I think you'll find this approach a big leap forward in your shaving technique.

Okay, though I have not sent out my TI for a proper honing, I was fortunate to receive a GD from a PIF that had a proper honing on a jnat thanks to [MENTION=75043]Dcaddo111[/MENTION] this past week. HUGE difference. I can definitely tell now that my TI is not as sharp as it should be. I'll be definitely looking into sending mine out for a honing service.

I think that coming out of the gate knowing without a doubt what known good edge feels like is a very powerful point of reference. Many struggle in vein for a long time because they just don't get around to sending a a couple of razors for honing early enough in their straight razor journey.

What lightfoot said. I still recall the first time I felt a genuinely razor sharp straight razor. The light turns on and now you know.

I have a very mild case of psoriasis also - used to be worse when I was a kid but now that I've gotten older it's mostly dry skin that can flake a tiny bit in certain areas. It's definitely worse in the winter time with the lower humidity. These days it's basically slight flaking on my face, neck and scalp. For the most part it's like a tiny bit of peeling dead skin like when you get sunburn - but it's particularly bothersome right around the pores/hair follicles, since the flakes can catch the razor edge and pull it into the skin a bit, making shaving very irritating to my skin. As long as I keep up with moisturizing my face it doesn't present a big problem, but before I was doing that my face was extremely sensitive to shaving with a blade - ANY blade.

Mosturizing helps, if the mositurizer doesn't cause a flare up. Mine is mainly near my nose and chin. I keep a goatee-ish thing so when it flares up I can hide it. But my technique at first was causing a flare up on the side of my chin for a bit. I'm thinking with better technique and a sharper blade I can avoid any irritation. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Mosturizing helps, if the mositurizer doesn't cause a flare up. Mine is mainly near my nose and chin. I keep a goatee-ish thing so when it flares up I can hide it. But my technique at first was causing a flare up on the side of my chin for a bit. I'm thinking with better technique and a sharper blade I can avoid any irritation. At least that's what I'm hoping for.
Dont use scented soap,. the best for me is bog standard Palmolive as i suffer skin soreness,but in my case over preperation hot towels,heates scuttles,top end soaps,all cause my shaving to be too close after 3 x passes also i use
4x TI razors the 6/8 heavy grind causes more problems than the 3x 7/8 for some reason.It is my view that its better not to use too high a water temp,and perversly not to use any aftershaves or moisturisers,but to allow ones skin to adapt,certainly its not natural to add anything to ones skin.You may find your skin looks better over time.

Top Bottom