What's new

Iron Rangers

Hi all,

Seeking a bit of advice. I understand Iron Rangers run a bit large. If I hover between 9.5 - 10, would 9 been a safe bet?

Thanks in advance!

Your best bet would be to go into a Red Wing store and have them measure your feet with their special machine. If that's not an option then it's a bit of a gamble. I wear a size 12 and they put me into a size 11.5. The 11's were painful. It took quite a while for mine to break in. One boot was fine pretty quickly but in the other, the leather naturally creased right over by big toe and it was uncomfortable for the better part of a year before it softened up. Now they both feel comfortable. Your safest bet would be to try on both a 9 and a 9.5. I'd bet on the 9.5.

Definitely try them on for sure. I never buy shoes on-line because fit is so important. Good luck.

Thanks guys. Yes, the reason I ask is I don't (to my knowledge) have a Red Wing store/dealer anywhere close to me. I don't like blindly purchasing footwear at all, so I guess I'll wait it out until they cross my path.... someday.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Some online retailers offer free returns so guys can try the boots on "risk free", but usually only within CONUS. Given your avatar, you may be on the wrong side of the border for that to help.

Red Wing offers free shipping and returns and suggest 1/2 size down. My Beckmans are 9.5 W which is my normal size in AE and other makes. After a serious 100 mile or so break in they fit like a glove.

Mine fit true to size- meaning the size Red Wing measured my foot. After I had them measure me, out of curiosity while walking through a mall one day I stopped in a shoe store and used their Brannock device (metal measurement thing) and found it to be spot on with what Red Wing came up with. I wear a bit larger size in athletic shoes, but all of my boots and good leather shoes are "sized down", meaning my ACTUAL size.

If there is no Red Wing store near you, try a payless or any shoe store, measure with their device while wearing socks you will wear the Rangers with, and it should reflect the size you need.

On a side note- those Iron Rangers do require a break in period. They can hurt for a while, sometimes making you think they fit incorrectly.

Your best bet would be to go into a Red Wing store and have them measure your feet with their special machine. If that's not an option then it's a bit of a gamble. I wear a size 12 and they put me into a size 11.5. The 11's were painful. It took quite a while for mine to break in. One boot was fine pretty quickly but in the other, the leather naturally creased right over by big toe and it was uncomfortable for the better part of a year before it softened up. Now they both feel comfortable. Your safest bet would be to try on both a 9 and a 9.5. I'd bet on the 9.5.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

My brick and mortar Red Wing stores in the area only had display models when I bought mine 3 years ago. I used their sizing machine and they nailed my size the first time. When the boots arrived at the store, they fit perfectly. The people working the shops are usually very knowledgeable on how the sizing is impacted by the different lasts that RW uses for the different shoes/boots.

Cheers

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I picked up a pair of Blacksmith 3340 last year and they were pretty much true to size. Awesome boot, you'll love it.

Go to the store and be fitted and buy a pair, once you know your size you could purchase your next pair online I suppose.

Hi all,

Seeking a bit of advice. I understand Iron Rangers run a bit large. If I hover between 9.5 - 10, would 9 been a safe bet?

Thanks in advance!

Definitely go try them on...are you from Toronto? If so many of the Shopping Mall retailers starting to carry them...Little Burgandy etc.

I am usually a 10.5/11 and all my Red Wing boots I ordered in a 9.5

Good Luck, they are a great boot!

I found that boots are just all over the map with different manufacturers. I wear a size 13 Nike,an 11 in wolverine, 10.5 in red wings and an 11.5 in everything AE. I could probably wear an 11 in AE but I like thicker dress socks and an 11 would be pushing it, not to mention I hate tight shoes.

1000 apologies for the late response! I didn't receive notification and am only seeing this now. In short, yes, I found a dealer. No, I have yet to go try them. I will, though it's not been top priority. I plan to report back once I have made a decision. Cheers.

Fwiw I needed a pair of boots for spring baseball as well as something nice for the casual night or dinner with the wife. I looked at 1000 mile, iron rangers and settled on a pair of Sutter mills from AE and couldn't be happier for half the cost. On the shoe store measuring device I'm an 11.5 which is what I wind up being in AE. I ordered a D which typically gives me a little wiggle room and is fine since I typically like a thicker sock whether I'm going to the office or running up town. I like the extra cushion. They ar super light weight and constructed like a Sherman tank.

Top Bottom