What's new

Information from Proraso

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
This afternoon I phoned the Ludovico Martelli company and asked about the Red Proraso shaving cream. Here is the answer I got from the customer service department: “The Red Proraso shaving cream is no longer in production for marketing reasons, and there is no current project to reintroduce this line. We know that many Proraso users would like to have the Red Proraso available again, and we’ll keep this in consideration”.
I’ve also been informed that the Ludovico Martelli company is the actual manufacturer of the Crema da Barba Santa Maria Novella. This for a specific request of the Officina Profumo-Farmaceutica SMN, which was unable to produce by itself its shaving cream, due to increasing export, especially towards the USA. Anyhow it has been clearly specified that Proraso and SMN, although similar, are NOT the same product. These two Italian gems have a slightly different formulation and scent. Looking at the ingredients list, in fact, SMN contains lanolin, while Proraso does not. Also SMN has an inferior quantity of menthol compared to Proraso, hence a lighter scent and a lower “cooling” effect.
A couple of info I wanted to share with B&B members.

Last edited:
Marco, you are a wealth of information; Thank you for posting this.

One thing I can't understand is Martelli continues to market the red 'goo-can' Proraso... you would think they'd stop selling the entire 'red' line.

I heard that Martelli produced the SMN cream as well, it's great to finally have confirmation of that.

This afternoon I phoned the Ludovico Martelli company and asked about the Red Proraso shaving cream. Here is the answer I got from the customer service department: “The Red Proraso shaving cream is no longer in production for marketing reasons, and there is no current project to reintroduce this line. We know that many Proraso users would like to have the Red Proraso available again, and we’ll keep this in consideration”.
I’ve also been informed that the Ludovico Martelli company is the actual manufacturer of the Crema da Barba Santa Maria Novella. This for a specific request of the Officina Profumo-Farmaceutica SMN, which was unable to produce by itself its shaving cream, due to increasing export, especially towards the USA. Anyhow it has been clearly specified that Proraso and SMN, although similar, are NOT the same product. These two Italian gems have a slightly different formulation and scent. Looking at the ingredients list, in fact, SMN contains lanolin, while Proraso does not. Also SMN has an inferior quantity of menthol compared to Proraso, hence a lighter scent and a lower “cooling” effect.
A couple of info I wanted to share with B&B members.

Thanks for the info. I for one just love the green shaving soap and would buy some of the red if they re-introduced it.

I just ordered their aftershave, figuring that if it's anything like the soap I'd really enjoy it.

Marco is the Proraso pimp. I'm shocked you did not throw a back hand at them in the middle of the conversation :lol:

Thanks Marco...I only recently heard about Red Proraso and was very curious to know more about it! I've tried the white and green quite a bit, and prefer the green myself for the stronger menthol kick.

Thanks Marco for your precious and informative posts.
Gents, it appears that B&B has an official Proraso investigator in Italy. :001_smile

Grazzi Marco. I guess something has to be cut out in a line as diverse as Proraso and they're experimenting with some new school high end stuff as well so the bottom loses I guess. I was hoping you could tell us what you would consider the main competitor to Proraso in Italy, particularly on grocery and drugstore shelves. In regards to scents Malizia Uomo Vetyver came to my attention at an Italian Grocery recently and I'd like to hear you opinion on them as well, if you could, as it is a relatively inexpensive brand.
Viva Firenza et Roma, Vivat Il Eire Republica,
Brett

Top Bottom