What's new

Inexpensive Ebay paddle strops

Are there any downsides to the inexpensive Ebay paddle strops? I just got one and have a regular hanging strop as well as another paddle strop. Since you can strop on just about anything I can't imagine that a leather paddle strop (of any kind) wouldn't work but I haven't seen them mentioned here much.

I think mine was about $10 including shipping for a double sided leather strop that is about 1 1/2 " x 6 inch for the working part of the strop. It's about the same size as my other paddle strop which was about $35 with 2 paste crayons.

I have my old paddle strop set up with an aluminum oxide side and a chromium oxide side. I'm keeping the fine leather side of this one plain and since I happened to have iron oxide paste (probably not effective on steel however) I put that one one side.

I still have the hanging strop which includes a linen strop as well.

I guess this is just another option instead of a 4 sided balsa strop that some use.

It's hard to beat such an inexpensive paddle strop so I wondered why I haven't heard more about them.

Okay a Bellinghmaster comes to prevent your banishment. My first strop (and I still got it) was a paddle strop from ebay. Previously in HI I was living in an apartment and didn't think I should be tapping hooks in the bathroom to hang a regular strop. Nothing wrong with a paddle strop as it works well for a quick refresh and don't take up much space. I have since gotten a hanging strop with a linen side and will not set it up unless I got major stropping to do. I don't use any paste for my paddle strop, but I do liberally use the rough side. I found a new life for it since getting the wedge SE blades for my Kampfe lather catcher razors. I need to check out ebay for your $10 strop as mine cost almost $30, but it is a bigger one (2 1/2 X 12) and I can see using a smaller one to strop the Kampfe blades (and maybe hitting that one with paste).

Are there any downsides to the inexpensive Ebay paddle strops? I just got one and have a regular hanging strop as well as another paddle strop. Since you can strop on just about anything I can't imagine that a leather paddle strop (of any kind) wouldn't work but I haven't seen them mentioned here much.

I think mine was about $10 including shipping for a double sided leather strop that is about 1 1/2 " x 6 inch for the working part of the strop. It's about the same size as my other paddle strop which was about $35 with 2 paste crayons.

I have my old paddle strop set up with an aluminum oxide side and a chromium oxide side. I'm keeping the fine leather side of this one plain and since I happened to have iron oxide paste (probably not effective on steel however) I put that one one side.

I still have the hanging strop which includes a linen strop as well.

I guess this is just another option instead of a 4 sided balsa strop that some use.

It's hard to beat such an inexpensive paddle strop so I wondered why I haven't heard more about them.

Paddle strops, in general, are not very popular. Probably for aesthetics sake mostly. As long as the leather is in good shape, paddles are great and I recommend them for newbies. I have a couple I use while traveling.

I have both. I don't keep my strops or straight razors in the bathroom. They are on the desk in my home office. I have a hook under the desk to use for a "hanging" strop and I have a paddle strop (or two) there as well. Sometimes it's just more convenient, I find, to use the paddle strop.

It's certainly better IMO as a pasted strop. My first paddle strop was a more expensive one and this latest inexpensive paddle strop seems as good to me as my other one.

I don't understand why they aren't more popular but it's probably as you said aesthetics.

The narrowness of paddle strops keeps some away. Many paddles are also rough side up and best for compound, so one would still need a hanging strop.

That was where I got my paddle strop from, except I got the bigger one. Can't beat the price and the quality. Free ship and made in the USA also a big plus. Good to see they are still making strops.
I think they are perfect for pasted strops as well. I wanted 3 pasted sides and one plain side (not that I use all sides all the time). This was an inexpensive way to do it.

Top Bottom