What's new

I'm off soap!

Hey, guys. I started a thread back in November titled "Recommend me a bar soap." I got lots of helpful responses and I had fun trying out plenty of different soaps. But I still didn't feel satisfied. I was left feeling like the soaps didn't lather enough (ironically, one of the soap brands has "sudsy" in its name), were somewhat drying and just overall left me unsatisfied. When trying these soaps on my face, I was really able to tell how dry and tight they left my skin feeling.

So, being one that is in the science field, I decided to do a little research. What took me so long? I wish I had done this earlier. What I found was that dermatologists are pretty much in agreement that soap, plainly put, is just not good for the skin. And this opinion is based on research.

The biggest issue with "real" soap is that the pH is too high for our skin. Our skin is slightly acidic and soap is alkalinic. Here are a few facts from a study I will link to below.

Normal healthy skin has potential of hydrogen (pH) range of 5.4-5.9 and a normal bacterial flora. Use of soap with high pH causes an increase in skin pH, which in turn causes an increase in dehydrative effect, irritability and alteration in bacterial flora. The majority of soaps and shampoos available in the market do not disclose their pH.

Majority of the soaps have a pH within the range of 9-10.

Evaluation of pH of Bathing Soaps and Shampoos for Skin and Hair Care

A jump in just one digit in pH is huge.

a difference of one pH unit (ie from pH 2 to pH 3) is a ten fold (10X) difference in H+ ion concentration.

what is pH

Another issue with soap is that it literally leaves soap scum on your skin. The following is from a website founded by a dermatologist that is all about the skin:

Disadvantages of soap

• Soap is alkaline, which irritates sensitive skin, which is normally acidic. Alkaline skin degrades quickly as protease enzymes are activate that destroy the skin proteins.
  • Soap forms scum when used with hard water (water that contains a high amount of calcium in solution). The scum stops the surfactant properties, so one tends to use more soap.
  • Soap leaves deposits of carbonate salts on the skin. This irritates the skin.
  • Soap deteriorates on storage.
Soaps and cleansers | DermNet New Zealand

So what's a good alternative? Syndets. A word derived form the words "synthetic" and "detergent." Yeah, I know, that doesn't sound so "natural." That doesn't mean it's not better for your skin. From a study:

It has been well established that cleansing bars based on mild synthetic surfactants (syndets) are significantly milder to skin than the more widely used soap-based cleansing bars. Mild syndet cleansing bars have also been shown to be more compatible cleansers for patients with a variety of skin conditions (e.g., acne, rosacea, atopic dermatitis) and are recommended to be an integral part of patients fundamental daily skin care regimen. We have recently investigated the cosmetic benefits of mild cleansing in a group of mild to moderate photodamaged women who typically wash their faces with ordinary soaps. In a 4-week, double-blind, split- face clinical trial, it was found that daily cleansing with a mild syndet bar led to significant improvements in the appearance of skin compared with daily cleansing with a regular soap. Several skin appearance attributes such as texture, clarity, tone, and brightness improved significantly over the 4-week trial period, as assessed by the investigating dermatologist. Subjects noticed a significant decrease in the appearance of fine lines/wrinkles that was verified by in vivo texture measure- ments. These benefits of mild syndet bars over soap are linked to the syndet bar's ability to maintain the integrity of the stratum corneum barrier and leave skin in a more hydrated state.
http://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622(04)03133-0/abstract

Back to dermnetnz.org:
Syndets
Synthetically produced detergents (syndets) were developed in the 1950s and are widely available. They are made from a variety of petrochemicals (derived from petroleum) and/or oleochemicals (derived from fats and oils). These hydrocarbon chain sources are used to make the lipophilic end of the surfactant molecule. Chemicals, such as sulphur trioxide, sulphuric acid and ethylene oxide, are used to produce the hydrophilic end of the surfactant molecule.

Compared with soap:

• Syndets can be set to the normal skin pH of 5.5
  • The number of Proprionibacterium acnes (acne bacteria) is reduced
  • No scum is produced so they rinse off well
  • Washed skin is less dry
  • Sensitive skin is less irritated
  • They are more expensive.
Well, finding all of that out, I couldn't wait to try a syndet bar. So my next step was deciding on one. After a little more research, I decided to use one called "Vanicream Cleansing Bar." I found it at my local CVS (although next time I'm going to get it for less online). Yes, this is what I have been looking for! It wasn't at all drying, it lathered more than all of the soaps I have tried so far and I wasn't left itchy...at all.

I have tried body washes in the past that contained moisturizers and I couldn't stand them. They left me feeling like i had an unpleasant film on me. This product just leaves me feeling moisturized in a pleasant way. I'm really digging this!

I'm starting this thread in case there are any like me that have been looking for the perfect soap and it didn't occur to them that maybe "soap" should just be abandoned altogether. If you are completely satisfied with soap, fine, I don't want to change your mind or debate my findings, but if you're open to the fact that not everything "natural" is necessarily best and haven't been as satisfied with any "real" soaps yet, I'm urging you to give a syndet bar a try.

I haven't tried any others than the one I already mentioned, but I'm looking forward to it. If anyone has any syndet recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

Well YMMV! I'm happy to hear that you found something that works for you.
I had to go the extra mile to find what works for me as well. All of my research pointed me in the direction of learning the science and chemistry that make up the process of creating soap and putting what it learn into use to make my own soap for personal use. After 13 plus years of ezisma gone in less than a year, I can't argue with the results. I'll stick to my soap!

Thanks for some great information. My skin is extremely sensitive and Ivory has been tearing my face up. In the past it was one of very few soaps I could use and at times the only one. I'm going to give Vanicream a try.

Got a CeraVe hydrating cleanser (syndet) bar today. Going to see how it works out compared to the regular soaps and body washes that I usually use. Stuff isn't cheap though.

After reading this thread I got some sebamed a couple of weeks ago. No more dry skin and no more soap scum around the shower drain. I will be using syndets from now on.

All natural soaps are the way to go. My father had very dry skin and eczema for over 10 years. Doctor's have prescribed creams and lotions and all kinds of body washes and so called "gentle" soaps (some very expensive). Last winter I bought a bar of all natural handmade soap from a small local company Within one week his skin felt softer and looked less inflamed. Within a month his rashy, dry and irritated skin looked better than it had early. It really seemed like a miracle. After 20 years of assuming doctors knew what they were talking about, we finally discovered the truth...they don't have a clue! Go all natural. Your skin will thank you.

All natural soaps are the way to go. My father had very dry skin and eczema for over 10 years. Doctor's have prescribed creams and lotions and all kinds of body washes and so called "gentle" soaps (some very expensive). Last winter I bought a bar of all natural handmade soap from a small local company Within one week his skin felt softer and looked less inflamed. Within a month his rashy, dry and irritated skin looked better than it had early. It really seemed like a miracle. After 20 years of assuming doctors knew what they were talking about, we finally discovered the truth...they don't have a clue! Go all natural. Your skin will thank you.

That's interesting. I wonder what would be in a commercial soap that's not in a natural soap that accounts for the difference.

Glad I found this thread. Gonna try the syndets and maybe a natural type soap too. Not dealing with soap scum would be a great win in it's self.

Top Bottom