What's new

IBC Shavette first impressions

Shaved with the R5-scaled IBC this morning and it really works.
Looks great, feels great, shaves great:
proxy.php

Revisited the IBC after a 7 month break and was reminded what excellent geometry it has, how good it looks and how nice it feels in the hand.

With a Shark in it, the IBC gave a truly magnificent shave:
proxy.php

This made me think that perhaps the IBC is at its best with a half-DE blade and that perhaps it's actually one of the best shavettes out there.

I agree with mjclark on the blade choice for the IBC. I tried all the options. Half of a DE blade, Schick Injector and Feather Blades. Of the three, I prefer the half DE blades. Although the Feather blades come the closest to a traditional Straight Razor, I prefer that extra degree of sharpness from a DE blade. My current blades of choice for my IBC is the Feather and Kai DE blades. Interestingly, I have not had much success with the Shark blades for some reason. They always feel "grabby" to me. Stropping didn't help either.

D5A5986E-D7DD-4AE2-9B7D-05A6182BDA96.jpg

I just got the new all black one in the mail. So I was concerned about the wiggle you guys have been talking about. I loaded a Feather Pro Super in it. I remembered watching the video on how each part of the shank is threaded independently. So I spun the loose shank counter clockwise a turn and then screwed it together and it took the wiggle out. Maybe it was just luck but it seemed to work.

View attachment 762655

I just got the new all black one in the mail. So I was concerned about the wiggle you guys have been talking about. I loaded a Feather Pro Super in it. I remembered watching the video on how each part of the shank is threaded independently. So I spun the loose shank counter clockwise a turn and then screwed it together and it took the wiggle out. Maybe it was just luck but it seemed to work.

Is there any wiggle??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the look and sound of this razor. I’ll have to wait and see if one shows up on BST!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

First time ever in my life shaving with the Irving Barber Company (IBC) shavette today with a Brandy handle since I've been using a safety razor for almost 2 years and I was bloody scared ****less :a47:. The IBC weight feels amazing and the balance is perfect only with my good shave right hand, when changing over to my left hand which is called the non-dominant hand is going to take a while which is pretty hard to shave with the non-dominant hand. Couple of minor nicks and cuts on the left side of my face and I thought the Feather ProGuard would minimize those issue, and I was shaving a little bit rough as my weak non-dominant left hand wasn't as good as my good shave right hand.

However I can tell that Freddy Krueger is smiling at me so much as a smartarse because he loves watching me shaving with my weak non-dominant left hand, any way Freddy Krueger got me he's not too happy as he wanted to see more blood bath shave next time during my next shave with the IBC with the Feather ProGuard blade.

proxy.php

I need one of these! I will have to save up and get one soon. Just got a Parker SRB the other day and am loving it. I'm liking the looks of this razor and it seems like it has a lot of good reviews here. May have to wait a couple of months though. I'll just enjoy looking at the pictures you all have posted in the mean time. Enjoy.

Got one a couple of weeks ago and love it. Been shaving with it nearly every day and it is fantastic. Wish I had got the IBC before spending the $20 on the Parker that just sits in the holder now. I got the one with the nickle finish handle and have been using half de blades so far. May order another one soon.
ibc shavette-2.jpg

Coming back to the IBC after a few months it suddenly looks incredibly beautiful - and with a PermaSharp it's such a great great shaver.
Definitely it works best with the half-DEs and perhaps it is the best shavette available for those blades.

It's funny when I first saw the IBC in the thread all that time ago I thought it looked ugly - now it just looks totally attractive and it shaves so well!
I suppose Chicago would tell me "Even lovers need a holiday..."
IMG_7774.JPG

Coming back to the IBC after a few months it suddenly looks incredibly beautiful - and with a PermaSharp it's such a great great shaver.
Definitely it works best with the half-DEs and perhaps it is the best shavette available for those blades.

It's funny when I first saw the IBC in the thread all that time ago I thought it looked ugly - now it just looks totally attractive and it shaves so well!
I suppose Chicago would tell me "Even lovers need a holiday..."
View attachment 791974

I always thought it was nice looking, just a bit expensive to buy one and get it shipped over here. I keep hoping for a bargain to show up on BST!

I always thought it was nice looking, just a bit expensive to buy one and get it shipped over here. I keep hoping for a bargain to show up on BST!

I agree about the pricing - when I got my IBC the only European distributor was in Switzerland and it cost me as much as a Feather SS.
Now there's a UK distributor it's still in the Kai Captain price range.
I'd like to be able to buy the scales separately like you can in the US too...

Honestly it's such a great shaver I'm surprised the IBC is not more universally acclaimed but perhaps the price (without a Feather-like reputation to back it up) puts people off.

Used the IBC with an AC Pro blade last night - of course there's the head wiggle and of course the heel of the blade contacts the scales but I love this razor so much that I utterly forgive it for these minor issues!

I really like the shape of the toe and how it blends into the corner of the blade.
The head of the IBC is so thoughtfully and intelligently designed and it certainly brings something new to the party in comparison to the Feather AC razors.

I'm now convinced that the IBC is the best half-DE blade shavette on Earth and it's also superb with the AC blades.
IMG_7851.JPG

I'm doing a 12 hour shift working with the public today - so let's see if the IBC + AC Pro combination can keep me looking smart all the way through into the night...

Used the IBC with an AC Pro blade last night - of course there's the head wiggle and of course the heel of the blade contacts the scales but I love this razor so much that I utterly forgive it for these minor issues!

I really like the shape of the toe and how it blends into the corner of the blade.
The head of the IBC is so thoughtfully and intelligently designed and it certainly brings something new to the party in comparison to the Feather AC razors.

I'm now convinced that the IBC is the best half-DE blade shavette on Earth and it's also superb with the AC blades.
View attachment 793322
I'm doing a 12 hour shift working with the public today - so let's see if the IBC + AC Pro combination can keep me looking smart all the way through into the night...
The IBC does not feel secure in the hand when it gets soapy,not a problem really.It shaves nearly as well as my Universal shavettes but does not feel so nice too small.I think its just a preference thing as with most things to do with shaving,I would go back to my straights before using a ACPro or injecter blades.

Top Bottom