What's new

IBC Shavette first impressions

Photos or it didn't happen

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

It happened

After hearing all of you talk about the IBC, another member was kind enough to sell me his and he was also selling a rosewood handle Sanguine. I though hmmm. Received both razors today and immediately took both apart to try my idea.

$IBC1.jpg$IBC1a.jpg

Needs some work, like putting a notch where the knob is and maybe streamlining the pivot area, but this will definitely prevent the back of a feather blade hit the bottom of the scale.

I also test fit a scale I made for my Feather SS which I have taken offline. Also need a notch for the knob and also no feather blade hitting the scale.

$IBC2.jpg$IBC2a.jpg

first shave tonight with blade assembly back in the original scale.

After hearing all of you talk about the IBC, another member was kind enough to sell me his and he was also selling a rosewood handle Sanguine. I though hmmm. Received both razors today and immediately took both apart to try my idea.

View attachment 656536View attachment 656537

Needs some work, like putting a notch where the knob is and maybe streamlining the pivot area, but this will definitely prevent the back of a feather blade hit the bottom of the scale.

I also test fit a scale I made for my Feather SS which I have taken offline. Also need a notch for the knob and also no feather blade hitting the scale.

View attachment 656538View attachment 656539

first shave tonight with blade assembly back in the original scale.

That is genius!
And it looks great!

Okay so put the original scales back on the IBC and loaded a Dorco blade (Feather AC type) and had my first shave with it. First of all, the blade loading was a little tricky as you had to pivot one side to be perpendicular to the other side, load the blade to the guide pins, and then rotate back and tighten the screw. When doing final tightening, the holder went slightly out of line and so had to pinch it in place and tighten slowly. Not as easy as dropping in a blade after pinching the back like a Feather (or sliding in a blade insert like my Hess 1010). Once that was done, the shaving part went well. The razor had good weight and balance and the protruding thumb screw and nut in the middle of the blade did not hinder the shave in any way. I was able to get away with two passes and a dry touch up.

I haven't tried shaving with the blade mounted in one of my two wood scales, but I am thinking that the shave might be different because the balance and weight would be slightly different. Overall, I had a good experience with this razor and look forward to experimenting with a half DE one day. Want to thank Steve for selling me this razor so I could finally see what everyone else was raving about.

[MENTION=86824]gvw755[/MENTION] Thanks for such a great idea of using the Sanguine R5 scales.
I have totally copied you and the IBC looks and feels great with the wooden scales and now the Feather Pro doesn't make contact.
Superb!
proxy.php

@gvw755 Thanks for such a great idea of using the Sanguine R5 scales.
I have totally copied you and the IBC looks and feels great with the wooden scales and now the Feather Pro doesn't make contact.
Superb!
proxy.php

Hey, I have a patent on that idea! Or would it be a copyright? I'm glad it worked out okay. I still haven't gotten around to modifying the handle yet. Haven't decided if I wanted to make the pivot hole bigger to accommodate the IBC screw or streamline the back side (or both). Definitely a small notch on the side to accommodate the screw would be a good thing. Shave on!

I had that shavette ... The scsle was unncoated and it finished in the bin due to water damage ...

I am working with my second Sanguine scale now, and the trick is to oil it regularly (once every couple of weeks) until the scales absorb the oil and then wipe it down. Need to do that is the slot also, and I used an oiled rag in between the slot and moved it back and forth. I first used furniture oil because it was cheap and available and then moved to Johnson's paste wax. Some folks here say to use tung oil, which I will probably get a can of when I set up my work bench again.

Never use an uncoated scale uncoated if you plan to use it for shaving.

Okay, feeling mjclark gaining on me, I unpacked my razor making stuff. I didn't realize I had so many boxes of tools and parts, and found some unfinished projects that I forgot about. Anyway, behold v.2 of the IBC/Sanguine Frankenrazor. The idea of using the original pivot screw did not work so well as I found out it was too short and by then, the hole I made wider could not fit the pivot pins I had for my CJB and Feather AC mods, so I had to use my #8 brass screw which gave it a "shop class project" look to it.

$IBC3.jpg$IBC3a.jpg

First shave with the wood scales tonight.

Okay, feeling mjclark gaining on me, I unpacked my razor making stuff. I didn't realize I had so many boxes of tools and parts, and found some unfinished projects that I forgot about. Anyway, behold v.2 of the IBC/Sanguine Frankenrazor. The idea of using the original pivot screw did not work so well as I found out it was too short and by then, the hole I made wider could not fit the pivot pins I had for my CJB and Feather AC mods, so I had to use my #8 brass screw which gave it a "shop class project" look to it.

View attachment 657275View attachment 657276

First shave with the wood scales tonight.

Supercool! You have found the way forwards with the IBC.

And I'll be sure to oil my scales [emoji3]

So thanks to all this prompting I got some Teak Oli and treated the scales:
proxy.php

Man that Teak Oil is some scary toxic stuff...

Your scales and your IBC thank you for doing that. It might be the light, but your scales actually look better already. Worth losing a couple of brain cells every couple of months for keeping that razor in good working order.

Your scales and your IBC thank you for doing that. It might be the light, but your scales actually look better already. Worth losing a couple of brain cells every couple of months for keeping that razor in good working order.

Handsome!

Top Bottom