What's new

I want to start shaving with straight razor shaving

proxy.php

Any thoughts on this kit?

The razor probably isn't shave ready so you will need to get it honed. There are several here that can do it here for a small $$$.
I understand the Gold Dollar razors can give quite a good shave tho. I won one in a PIF that should arrive shortly.

The razor probably isn't shave ready so you will need to get it honed. There are several here that can do it here for a small $$$.
I understand the Gold Dollar razors can give quite a good shave tho. I won one in a PIF that should arrive shortly.
Is there a razor brand that has a kit with a strop ready to shave

The razor brand is Gold Dollar. It looks like it has had a lot built around it.
I have a strop coming from china and still need to pick up an alum block to help stop my fingers from slipping.

The soap is worth more than the razor. Although a gold dollar can be made to shave well, and that is certainly worth something, it is a $3 razor.

Unless you are going with something more expensive, you will probably find issues with kits. You may be better off piecing something together if you want to go with a Gold Dollar. There are people here that sell them modified and truly shave ready for a great price. You can get a cheap strop and brush from Larry at whipped dog, or just about anywhere online. I really enjoyed that soap. It is more of a croap or soft soap if you will. The scent was nice and it lathered well for me though. If you don't mind vintage razors, check out Whipped Dog and see what Larry has to offer. If you have to send that razor from the kit out to be honed you are looking at around $20 plus possibly shipping charges. So you can take that into consideration when pricing items out. You want to make sure your razor is really shave ready for your first go.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Member Seraphim often has modified Gold Dollars for sale. He has a dandy one listed right now for $75, rather highly customized, and it would most definitely be shave ready.

The razor in the kit you posted is not the common #66... not sure but I think that is a #200. Far fewer issues than a #66 and it will hone up without much difficulty.

The strop and brush look pretty cheesy.

Good deal for $66? Not really. You can do better. A Whipped Dog setup will do nicely.

As long as Gold Dollars are properly honed (and ground a bit, where and when required to allow a good hone) they shave just as well as the rest. I've grown to prefer them as my daily drivers; I love the weight and feel, the pivot pins are perfect and I don't have to worry about 'babying' them. Good steel is good steel.

One more thing - you may want to buy a backup razor. This way you'll have it on-hand when you destroy your first edge (very probable) and have to send it back for re-honing!

Top Bottom