What's new

I need your advice...new brush time

Good choice. My brother has a a few shavemac brushes. He doesn't use anything else, period. I believe his favorite is the Germania Silvertip 2-band, and the TW3 or TG3 Silvertip 2-band. He let me try them once, ONLY ONCE! Great feeling brushes. As he would describe "bro, it's like wiping your rear end with silk". I wouldn't know how it feels to clean the buttocks with silk, but those brushes were smooth, but nice and firm. SHOP AWAY!!!!!!

I would look closely at the Simpsons Duke 2 or 3 in best badger. I have 8 Simpsons and do not have shedding issues. I believe that if properly maintained, I mean thorough cleaning and drying that most of these issues can be avoided, JMHO. If you go chubby, I'd look at best badger, all my Simpsons are in best hair and I don't think it can be beat.

Here are my $0.02: First, decide if you want to try something new (badger) or stick with what you like (boar).

If you want a badger, then Simpsons are terrific IMO. My current favorites are Duke 2, Classic 2, Chubby 1 and 57. (I prefer face lathering hard soaps and tend toward smaller/mid size brushes with great backbone.)

If you decide to go for another boar (and I still have an old blond boar), then my preference would be SOC.

Any of the above would be great choices IMHO!

As for knot and loft...if I go with a 24mm in D01 hair...would 48mm loft be too short...should I go with 50mm?

Call Rudy Vey. Make this brush epic!

I would second this suggestion. Rudy's brushes are fantastic and he is very helpful in figuring out exactly what you want. He responds to email inquiries very promptly and his turnaround is extraordinarily fast too. I have two of his brushes with Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip knots, which is an absolutely superb knot by any standard.

I would second this suggestion. Rudy's brushes are fantastic and he is very helpful in figuring out exactly what you want. He responds to email inquiries very promptly and his turnaround is extraordinarily fast too. I have two of his brushes with Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip knots, which is an absolutely superb knot by any standard.

I think I'll get Rudy to make me a brush...thanks guys. What's the best way to contact him?

I would look closely at the Simpsons Duke 2 or 3 in best badger. I have 8 Simpsons and do not have shedding issues. I believe that if properly maintained, I mean thorough cleaning and drying that most of these issues can be avoided, JMHO. If you go chubby, I'd look at best badger, all my Simpsons are in best hair and I don't think it can be beat.

I have a Simpsons Duke 2 in best badger, and I am not impressed with it. It does whip up a good lather, even with hard soaps, but it sheds a lot. I do clean and dry my brushes after every shave and hang them tips down. It still sheds a hair or two with every shave. I can also only use the brush with for bowl lathering. It is so stiff and scratchy that face lathering with it rubs my face raw.

My best suggestion for anyone looking to upgrade from boar is to pick up any on of the modern sythetics before springing for a silvertip badger. For 10 to 20 bucks you can get a synthetic with good backbone and soft tips, and for the price, if you don't like it you won't have wasted much money.

All right gentleman. I've talked with the guru Rudy and I've narrowed down the knot to be a shavemac 2 band silver tip, fan...24mm by 48mm loft ( temped to go 26mm by 50mm ) As3m handle. Here's where I'm stumped color. I like jade onyx, white zebra and light amber butterscotch. Help me out here...I know some of you have These colors in a Rudy brush...please share.

All right gentleman. I've talked with the guru Rudy and I've narrowed down the knot to be a shavemac 2 band silver tip, fan...24mm by 48mm loft ( temped to go 26mm by 50mm ) As3m handle. Here's where I'm stumped color. I like jade onyx, white zebra and light amber butterscotch. Help me out here...I know some of you have These colors in a Rudy brush...please share.
Jade Onyx is killer!

Top Bottom