What's new

I need your advice...new brush time

I've decided to upgrade my brush. I'm currently rocking a semogue 730 HD and a semogue 830 in boar. I mostly load the brush and lather in a scuttle. Sometimes I face lather. I actually use the 830 because I like the backbone of the boar and I like to feel the brush. I've decided to upgrade to a high end brush. I've never had a high end brush before so I'm limited in that area to what I read on this forum. I really like the simpsons brushes and the positive things I've read. Im looking at a chubby 2 in super. Here's the thing guys. My wife has ok'd a new brush...I've got one opportunity to get a good one. I have to make it count. Give me some direction from your experience, please.

After three shedding Simpson brushes, all returned to the
vendor, I used the credit toward a Semogue Owners Club badger. It's been a great one, has not lost one hair in over two years.

I'm sort of in the same position. Not because of a wife, but severe economic impairment. I'm broke. I'll be able to save enough for one good brush, so I want it to be a good one!

After hours of research, I'm leaning towards a shavemac regular 2 band for a few reasons. They have a reputation for great performance, better than most, consistent high quality, and exceptional customer service. If there's a problem, they will fix it. You can choose one of the stock models, or customize to your hearts content. Very well regarded.

Something to consider

Mark

I'm a little apprehensive buying high dollar brush...I just don't want to that kind of money on a brush that looses hairs just like the ones I already have. I've heard simpsons are sort of hit and miss. My luck, I get the miss.

I'm sort of in the same position. Not because of a wife, but severe economic impairment. I'm broke. I'll be able to save enough for one good brush, so I want it to be a good one!

After hours of research, I'm leaning towards a shavemac regular 2 band for a few reasons. They have a reputation for great performance, better than most, consistent high quality, and exceptional customer service. If there's a problem, they will fix it. You can choose one of the stock models, or customize to your hearts content. Very well regarded.

Something to consider

Mark
Thanks Mark...this is the type of advise I'm after. And I know what you mean, I will only have the money for ONE good brush. I can't blow it.

Forgot to capitalize: Shavemac.
Also, if you look at the website, remember that the prices include 19% VAT, that is deducted for US sales.

Mark

Google "Shavemac 2 band review". You'll get a list of B+B threads. At the bottom there's "Show all threads". You'll have days of reading. Lots of comparisons with other high end brushes. That's what led me to the regular 2 band. The regular silver tip sounds nice to. I would tend to avoid the do1 versions. They are for very specific users.

Good luck
Mark

I would suggest you look over the Whipped Dog offerings. Both the Silvertip and High Mountain (Finest) are really nice and provide a great bang for the buck.

There's more brands than you can shake a stick at...

Top of the line, or even high quality isn't going to mean spending big bucks necessarily. Sometimes - not always of course - you get what you pay for.

OP said he liked his boar brushes.

We can muddy the waters naming brands and then chasing each other's recommendations with anecdotes of contrary reasoning.

I still think Simpsons Manchurian is a reasonable option. Shavemac D01 is too, although I have not tried or owned one.

There's a multitude of badger brushes that run the gamut of pricing from $25 to $300. If you wait long enough there's an opinion for and against almost every brand and style.

We aren't even into the more detailed information for size, shape, or hair grade/type.

The options are extensive. A fine brush can be had by getting the knot separately and using your own handle, or restoring a vintage one.

Then there's the second hand market.

There's the hard to get stuff too.

The best thing to do is maybe quantity what you're comfortable spending and more importantly what characteristics that the ideal brush should possess.

Paladin, M&F, Brad Sears, Elite Razors, various makers on eBay and Etsy or other makers such as hobbiests like Rudy Vey.

Heck, Plisson brushes are an option too. Their European White brushes are supposed to be very nice.

Envy Shave makes brushes with a fairly stiff yet soft tipped knot. They are a more budget friendly alternative to Simpsons Manchurian or Shavemac D01 brush.

I hope you find something that fits your preferences. I hope you don't stress it too much either.

Heck, you might find that you really like a pillow soft silvertip brush that's floppy and moppy when wet!

Either way it's just a means to an end. Getting lather onto your face. Hard to mess it up too bad at the end of the day.

IMG_0162.JPG
Some good advice and really good brands to choose from above. I, just like yourself was and still am a boar brush guy myself. Same boat with my lady, but she pretty much allows me to get what I want "within reason". I recently was in the market for an upgrade on a higher end brush, boar or Badger. After about a month of searching and reading, and reading and searching, I settled on a Badger brush. And I purchased a couple Badger brushes from a relatively low key brush manufacturer from Italy, Zenith brush company. Purchased them through a vendor on "the bay" and I will tell you, I was blown away by the quality and craftsmanship of these brushes. Face feel is phenomenal with excellent backbone and just enough scritchiness to let you know your getting a luxurious scrub and lather. Like I said, I'm a boar guy. But when I received these 2, it's been pure heaven and my boars have seen hardly any use ( Semogue 1350, Omega 81052, Omega Ovangkol 11126 ). Shed a hair, maybe 2 in the last month and the feel in the hands is superb. I would recommend the Zenith brush to anyone without hesitation and feel that they would be extremely impressed with the quality of these brushes. The one on the Left is a Silvertip w/Aluminum handle with a 24.5mm knot and the one on the right is a Best Badger with an off White Resin handle with a 27.5mm knot. I was considering Simpsons, Shavemac, Kent and a couple other custom brush makers, but settled with Zenith. 2 luxury brushes for the price of one of the aforementioned makers, $120 shipped. I don't regret it for a second. Read and search, compare all that you see. Some real quality brushes out there, with some heavy price tags to boot. Whatever your choice, good luck amigo. Just wanted to throw my $0.02 in....:thumbup1:

Regards, Gus

After a bit of reading the Shavemac D01 is sounding very interesting. I think I would want a fan shape. I'll need to decide knot size and loft...I don't want a floppy brush

Top Bottom