What's new

I don't like this soap now what?

Alright so you just bought that soap everyone has talked so highly about. It comes in and you hate it! The scent or the performance are just not up to snuff.

Me I usually PIF them or sell them since there is a good market for them.

On a few occasions I have put the soap in the guest bathroom to be used as hand soap, or even put the soap on shower duty. What do you guys do?

What has been your most recent fail? What was it scent or performance or maybe both? And what did you do.

My most recent fail was used today. Sudsy Soapery Jack Frost. I purchased for a penny during the flash sale they did. The scent was just NO GOOD! I can't under good conscience sell this soap so I will probably PIF it away soon.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
What's wrong with it? I am a lousy judge of scents. With a name like Jack Frost it has to be cool. Ugh...

I prefer to either suck it up and use it until it is done or pass it along. I only tossed one soap that was a freebie with some blades I ordered. I would pass it along instead of tossing it if I did it over. One person's failure may be another person's success story.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Don't give up on it yet. Probably something to due with the curring, but it was odd smelling the first few lathers. Then settled down to a pleasant scent.

Mark

I've come across one soap who's scent i find absolutely vile, performance, nothing to write home about. Product is endlessly hyped as the be all and end all of soaps. I keep it around as a weapon against the hype machine so when i start to weaken and think maybe i should give it another chance, i dig it out, breath, get slapped around and come to my senses.

dave

I toss loser soaps in the trash; life's too short to mail used soap around. And if I didn't like the scent of something while shaving, I'm not going to like it in the shower, either. The last one I binned was the Tabac "shave stick;" which I had hoped to use for travel. I expected it to be the size of a Speick or La Toja stick and instead it was utterly enormous; far too large to use for travel. It took up like 70% of my toiletries bag. My fault for not looking at the dimensions on the Amazon page. I couldn't take the strength, longevity or brush contamination of the scent, although I would like it in very small doses.

Performance was good, but plenty of others do just as well without the considerable downsides.

If there were a "Tabac light" with Haslinger-style scent strength, I'd be all over that.

Can't help but wonder if @davent's mystery soap above was also Tabac--sure sounds like it.

New Williams got put on shower duty. I liked the scent of Arko but it was too drying for me so I think SWMBO ended up with it.

I've either PIF'd or traded any that I didn't like. Trades have all worked out for me so far, just because I don't like it doesn't mean someone else won't. For example, a lot of people absolutely love Prorasso. I can't stand it.

The only soap I've tried that I just can't get into is Arko. It performs well enough, but smells too much like a bathroom cleaner to me. I bought a 2 pack I threw the unopened one in with a razor I was PIFing to someone who hadn't tried it. I still have the first stick smashed into an Old Spice mug. It's been a few months , the scent is almost gone now. I use it from time to time, but would rather use a good soap or VDH Deluxe. I'll probably eventually finish, or maybe just use it up breaking in brushes.

My most recent fail was used today. Sudsy Soapery Jack Frost. I purchased for a penny during the flash sale they did. The scent was just NO GOOD! I can't under good conscience sell this soap so I will probably PIF it away soon.

I for one really liked this scent...a lot!

I've sent a few hard soaps to the shower but i can't see how a tub of Croap would be of any value in the shower. Most recently i had a puck of Campfire scented soap from West Coast Shaving, horrible soap that i though i might one day use as a pre-shave (the scent was ok) but i ended up putting it in the shower ...campfire shower soap is a strange one. Then i had Taconic Eucalyptus Mint, loved the smell and the lather was very nice when i used it for my evenning lather but i ust knew i would never end up using it to shave with ...into the shower. Godrej Round, love the smell, performance was surprisingly good but again, not likely to make it into regular rotation so into the shower it went. Godrej has GOT to be the longest lasting soap in the world, it wont die. I think some die hards would make good pre-shave or night time face wash soaps assuming the scent was enjoyable.
I think PIFing a soap you know you dont like but is a good performer is a good idea but when you have a collection of blind buys that just dont cut it ...batch them up and sell them.

I remember the Drunken Goat you had Chad, didn't it turn out to be rancid? Nothing like PIFing some guy a tub of catfish bait and telling him is shaving soap!

Wow. I certainly wouldn't pitch or chuck Haslinger or Sudsy Soapery. Sudsy Soapery is one of the finest made soaps presently on offer out of 50 or so I have tried.

Somebody will love the scent!

Like I said, this specific soap had an odd smell the first couple lathers, then settled down. I like it a lot.

Mark

Top Bottom