What's new

I am in Love, or I have lost my marbles

[FONT=&amp]I feel the need to confess in the privacy of this forum (must be the Catholic part of my character). I absolutely lost my marbles at the end of the year and went crazy heads on into a rabbit hole: straight razors. A little bit with some side comments a few people have made regarding razors, and a lot evolving from my love for kitchen knives I begun to read fueled by a secret wish held for a very long time, to learn how to shave with a straight razor. Having learned from the experience in the knife rarefied stratosphere of crazy nutcases of which I am now hopelessly one, I found a forum, Badger & Blade. Also influenced by the wonderful experience of being helped by others, I reached out and asked for help. Sadly for the world, there are not many generous and gracious characters on this planet as you guys are. I wrote some private messages introducing myself and asked for advice on a couple of general and a couple of specific questions, Some answers were non committal to the point that I am not sure I had more information or more questions at the end. I other cases I received the same poetic response that I have gotten in communications over the years: beautiful silence barely interrupted by the singsong of very distant crickets.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Figuring that it might be better to get razors that I can resell if needed, I begun to read and fell in love with the idea of a japanese kamisori and after agonizing I ordered an Iwasaki Kamisori . I also bought a western straight razor to compare and contrast, and after much agonizing, I just ordered a custom razor from Ulrik Beyer of Koraat razors in Austria. I realized that I needed a strop so I purchased a kanoyama board strop. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]The next step was a familiar feeling; sitting on my hands waiting,...[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]After what it seemed like a couple of bad years without rain (a week and a half) obsessing over additional options and waiting for my kamisori to arrive, it finally did, as well as a paddle strop and a pretty case to keep the kamisori. Here I was finally opening the beautiful kiribox containing a mind blowing piece of japanese blade making. Oh Dear GOD! I am in love! with a Knife! AGAIN! it is so freaking beautiful. After handling so many knives in so many ways, I feel I can recognize a true jewel and this is one. Sadly, I had just shaved with my trusted MERKUR DE razor and had a spectacular smooth shave. I think my safety razor was jealous. Somewhere in my mind I begun to hear voices... the voice of my DE razor saying: “are you going to leave me for HER... after all these years of loyalty to you? what does she have that I do not? she is tiny and japanese? is that it? better than my well proportioned and substantial German body? and she only has ONE edge!” and my mind meekly responds:”yes but she has an ancient classical beauty... and you know I have weakness for Japanese blades…”[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]At this point I felt the last marbles of my sanity rolling away in panic.. I ignored my head voices and begun the process of making a wrapping of the handle with flat leather 3 mm strip I had just for this purpose (is this a good idea? the grip is beautiful and secure...) and gingerly put the razor away with the paddle strop waiting for the opportunity to finally shave...[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Today is the day. I plan to do it with time and in the peace of night while everybody is sleeping. I cannot contain my excitement. After almost 55 years on this planet I finally have arrived to the world of pure MANLINESS. Never mind my experiences in the Amazons, or 25 years of hard work training Japanese martial arts, or the adrenaline of covering the body of a man gored by a bull to protect him from the bulls behind running towards us when I was working as a rescuer for the Red Cross in Pamplona... NO! I AM MAN NOW, I am going to shave with a naked beautiful Japanese handmade blade... My warrior ancestors from the North of Spain would feel proud of their descendant when they were facing ancient foes in the centuries war of the Middle Ages and see that I too am brave and love steel... I have read, and read and see videos. I know how to handle a Yanagiba to perform Katsuramuki, I can do this...[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I prepare my station and bring the Iwasaki out and I strop it carefully, with love after noticing that a tiny corner of the delicate edge is missing...I want to cry and scream! did I do it? When? How?.... nothing I can do. I love you even more my beautiful kamisori, please forgive me, I am here with you and soon we will be dancing as you were meant to do, with me.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I strop carefully. 50 laps. I put my brush in hot water and get my soap out. I take a long hot shower and realize that I better put pants before the start of the shave... handling knives naked is the ultimate foolishness and I know better. I am almost trembling with excitement. I apply the soap and strop the kamisori again, just in case... I surely can split atoms now... JA! my Quantum Mechanics Professor in College had no prayer of understanding what true nano edge is... I know this because he had a beard, no kamisori for him...[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Ready? YES Here we go. Face this kami, our kami (by the way, kami means "spirit" or "god" in Japanese); kami, this is my face, you are going to start spending time together from now on... and I begin[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]hold a second... how do I hold this? engravings away from the face yes, but what angle? the bevel against the face? maybe? ok, there it goes... smoothly... half an inch... OUCH! Damn, I cut myself... no problem, keep going, slow, steady... OUCH, half of the hair is there and now I am bleeding... ok, ok breathe... now down to the neck... what? how do I do this? I cannot see.. and I hear voices again... "Are you going to slash your neck? are you going to leave your daughters fatherless in a pool of blood? are you nuts?" I shush them and continue... one pass, a little cut, another pass, another little cut... it feels pulling the hairs sometimes... OUCH, more blood... what is this... the videos look easy and everybody swears to this... I remember someone describing shaving with straight western razors as driving a Porsche, and shaving with a kamisori like the iwasaki as driving an F1... and one of my voices barks a laugh at me at yells "you are an idiot! Porsche? F1? you drive an automatic Honda CRV from 1998! what are you doing? You are an idiot! I ignore the voices and continue...OUCH, again... Ok let us try the other side of the face... kami, this is the other side of my face, please be gentle to her... silence... not even crickets... I am scared... I can do this, I have been thrown all over the place in dojos in Japan by tiny people, I can handle this... I figure I stay with the right hand, I do not trust my left not to kill me out of pure clumsiness... I do a pass on the neck and nothing comes out... change the angle, try again...OUCH, more blood, my soap looks pink I try to work it over and over again, I apply more soap and do another pass... and another... and another..and my face is stoic in its acceptance of punishment and pain...but I am a TRUE CATHOLIC and I present the other side of the face... again and again... not even the priests of my old high school would ask for so much...I elevate the angle of the blade and it feels as if I am trying to scratch the hair with nails, lowered the angle almost parallel to the skin and feels that I am going to perform katsuramuki with my flesh... Is this fun? IS THIS FUN? my voices yell at me dripping sarcasm... my ego is bleeding more than my face and neck, and finally I cannot take the punishment anymore. I stop on a barely acceptable shave with hair heads sticking out randomly, everywhere... I wash and dry carefully the blade, and dry it several times, strop again about 20 times and finally put everything away. I wash the brush and finally is time to assess the damage on my face... OH GOD, the neck is actually almost inflamed, flaming red with razor burn and probably almost raw... I delicately wash it with cold water... see? not that bad? I lie to myself with my voices laughing hysterically at my expense... Ok. Now the moment of truth, I need to apply the alum block all over the face....THAT HURTS! Oh my DEAR GOD!... I want to cry... and this is with a kamisori? what can I expect with the straight edge razor that is on its way as well? it suddenly feel it is going to be SO BIG? is this an inappropriate joke? the voices ask, I want to cry...[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I put the cheap aftershave lotion I use (from Harrys) and go to the kitchen to rub ice on my neck... it is so burned and inflamed that I can feel the skin pulsing... my family is going to yell at me tomorrow... and my voices are yelling already as well,,, Can I do this again? should I sell the blades and tools back, grow a beard and feel really manly with a face full of hair?... can I take this again and on a regular basis?...[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]and a tiny, tiny little voice squeaks and says... but, but, it is a japanese handmade blade... [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Damn, I lost my marbles… and yet, I am in love…

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
proxy.php
[/FONT]

Attachments

• $IMG_20170129_125350_zpsysuumsbz.jpg
    $IMG_20170129_125350_zpsysuumsbz.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 98
Last edited by a moderator:
That is one beautiful blade you have there. And those Japanese ladies look good in leather. :laugh:

Looking at your blade, I would say that the tip is what is cutting you. Looks like a Feather pro blade almost and the ends of those will make you leak pretty quickly if you aren't careful. If you are scraping and irritated, I'm thinking you have the spine to far away from your face.

As far as being the F-1 of razors, well think about it. If you ever try to drive an F-1 your biggest trouble will be actually getting it started down the track. They are very touchy to an in-experienced technique. They also respond quickly to very little movement and are very sensitive to over-correction. So, yeah, you kinda do have an F-1. :tongue_sm

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
A straight razor's edge is mind blowingly thin and fragile, but if you lost a little at the toe that's the best of all outcomes. That sharp toe and heel is why the kamisori are fondly referred to as 'terror sticks'.

Good luck!

Cheers, Steve

I about died reading this [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].
I have never shaved with one I just got into straight razors myself and still learning. I walk away with a few niks here and there but with Time i Am hoping to walk away with none

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Kamisori are great! I would suggest you not use leather as it will absorb water and rust the handle. Some use rattan, some flat plastic, I have used nylon weave fishing line dipped in plasti-seal. It still rusted. So now all mine are nekkid.

Dude that has got to be one of the singles best reads on here...i think you should actually concider writting books for a living....lol.
The trick is take your time and dont give up as we all have a story like yours to tell ....most just cant express it like you just did....hahaha.
As you are aware with you martial arts, its all about learning technique and exicution...this is no different...take a step back and work one surface at a time, no moving on to the next till you have mastered that part....start with a cheek as its the flatest...then the other and so on.

Dude that has got to be one of the singles best reads on here...i think you should actually concider writting books for a living....lol.
The trick is take your time and dont give up as we all have a story like yours to tell ....most just cant express it like you just did....hahaha.
As you are aware with you martial arts, its all about learning technique and exicution...this is no different...take a step back and work one surface at a time, no moving on to the next till you have mastered that part....start with a cheek as its the flatest...then the other and so on.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

But she sure is pretty... Lol. Keep at it and it will get better with practice. We always remember our firsts because they're not perfect experience. (and from the sounds of it you have a lot to remember). You will probably find your straights ti be more forgiving. The bigger blade spreads out the pressure over a greater distance. Take your time and keep your pressure very light. You can always do an extra pass, or ten if you need to. There's no requirement to take it all off at once. Also while you're getting use to it try shaving with your DE and then do a couple of cleanup passes afterwards. This way you're not dealing with tugging or trying to remove all of the hair, you're simply honing your skills and practicing not cutting yourself while removing the lather.

Them you for your posts. I kept at it and will post about the second experience

Looking forward to it. I commend you for diving right in. I would have recommended starting with a Honda Civic before moving up to an F1. I do hope the 2nd is better than the 1st.

It look months for my first few cuts to heal. Battle scars.

Looking forward to it. I commend you for diving right in. I would have recommended starting with a Honda Civic before moving up to an F1. I do hope the 2nd is better than the 1st.

It look months for my first few cuts to heal. Battle scars.
Thank you for the commenmt.

I Posted the report on the second shave under the title "I Lost my Marbles Part II"

Top Bottom