What's new

Hydrolast Review

I am sure adjusting it in the search of the "perfect shave". I would liken the third form to exfoliation more than cutting into skin though. Oddly enough i saw a spa that offered women exfoliation with some creams and a scalpel. I laughed so hard at them and they asked why. I told them that men called that shaving. Apparently the irony of it wasn't appreciated by the spa ladies. I got a few nasty looks. You really ought to try it sometime though Cessna - if nothing else it is a good free insight into something new to try. I would love to hear your take.

Reading this recent post actually reminded me of being back behind the counter in the clay room getting my clinic... Good times. Makes me want to further perfect my still inexperienced technique for a BBS. And about this free straight razor shave. I'm gonna have to drop on by Enchanté this coming weekend and ask Charles about that. That, and maybe some paste and activator since I haven't personally used them, besides in the clinic. Tell me: for the rest of the day, did you have a gloss look on your face? I had that after CAR cleaned me up and felt like Captain Planet was infused in my face :lol:

Lol. I met him at one pm so i didn't comment on that. I actually am a bit sensitive from running my hands against the grain feeling my skin. The paste is really great.

Also i think that coupon had to do with this thread and wanting to learn all the aspects. Plus i had a few straight razor questions about that end and apparently she is the big one to ask on that.

Tomorrow I am going to get a razor to try while i travel. Any suggestions? I have a Trac II on the possibilities list. Any more suggestions? FYI -- it has to be able to clear TSA and airport security for carry on luggage. (Darn, no straight razor! )

I hadn't even heard of this system... but it sounds like we need more people like him. Maybe he and Mantic should franchise out shave-schools that random people can just walk into and hop into a clinic. I'll check his videos and stuff out, if for no other reason that his site mentions what I was JUST thinking about earlier today: "fixing my hair growth patterns". Thanks for bringing this up, it has been an interesting read and I will certainly follow the thread.

Try the single-blade Bic Metals. They're cheap and work well.
Tomorrow I am going to get a razor to try while i travel. Any suggestions? I have a Trac II on the possibilities list. Any more suggestions? FYI -- it has to be able to clear TSA and airport security for carry on luggage. (Darn, no straight razor! )

You really ought to try it sometime though Cessna - if nothing else it is a good free insight into something new to try. I would love to hear your take.
I'm not Cessna, but I admit I find the concepts interesting. The problem is, $112 for the products is a lot to spend "just to see." If they had some kind of intro kit or something you could buy for $25-$40 it might be worth taking a whack at it sometime.

The commdnt to cessna was because he is in Austin and can do the same clinic for free. I will ask about lower preiced options for getting started I and trying it out.

I think I am going to run to Wally World and see what they have. I am curious about the bump fighter/trac II combo. We will see if they have it.

Back to the review. I used a $5 boar brush this morning to work everything up. I pre washed with the soap like I was shown yesterday. That really seemed to clean my skin before starting. I used the brush to lather the soap and added a few drops of cutting balm to the top of the bar and continued. CAR has a theory that the boar will not really be affected by the shave balm. It's a $5 brush so we will see. The lather worked up and was WAY thicker. It acted like a super lather. I was going for less water/less slick since I was going to be using that Derby again that I had a bad experience with last week.

I tried to shave like I was shown yesterday. I went with the N-S pass, finishing almost dry. I added shave paste and then I went with the down angle pass and found I really hadn't missed as much as yesterday. No need to go back to N-S again to redo anything I missed. Re lather (the brush still had plenty) and go for the upward angle. Cutting balm and paste mix, cross strokes and then touch up dry (that still weirds me out). I used the alum all over, cutting balm all over with splashes of water, and then the conditioner. BBS, comfortable, and no razor burn. The only issues I had were two barely detectable weepers. I think that is the blade though as it hasn't happened with the feathers. They stopped before I even finished shaving though, so no biggie.

I think this method would work better for straight razors. If you are worried about a good brush, just add the cutting balm and paste through the lather massaged in. Then those will stay off the brush completely.

Quite honestly, BBS with comfort every day is getting really normal now. Plus, my skin has a really healthy glow that is nice. This stuff seems to act as skin care product too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now those of you that are reading to here, I have decided something fun for you putting up with me.

A PIF! And yes, it's Hydrolast stuff.

I am going to send about 2 weeks worth of cutting balm, shave paste and conditioner. At least. I may add more when we get there. These, with a good soap should get you started and a good idea of what it does.

So here are the restrictions (gotta' love these, right?)

-No one from Austin. You guys just go downtown and try it. Seriously.
-No one who has bashed this stuff on other threads. Sort of on your honor, but have an open mind.
-Outside continental US, you pay-pal me shipping.
-If you have already tried it, you aren't eligible. You already tried it, so give someone else a chance.
-Try it for two weeks straight (or until you are out) and review it here. If you can't stand it for some reason, PIF the rest with these rules.
-Try it with a feather at least once. If you don't have any, let me know and I will add a couple.

This will run until I finish this review - at least a week?!?!? Just say count me in and why you are wanting to try it.

Good luck and good shaves guys!

I liked the PIF since it was almost exactly when this thread got 1k views! I left it a bit burried here so only people who read the thread would be in on it.

Good to see you in Moriarty. I added the shipping PayPal thing thinking pf your pist earlier. I will be sure to ask any SR questions you have when I get that barber shave next week.

I thought about getting the starter kit as the pif, but my favorite products (conditioner &the cutting balm )get were not included. The cloth is nice, but it can be done with a brush. I will try this shortly, but i think a good soap will have similar results. May be tomorrow morning.

Please count me in. Riveting. I've been sad it's so high a cost to try out and even though about proposing a regional group buy to divide up the basics.

Keep the great reviews coming. I'm still having a hard time figuring out what each part does, but will watch his videos again and read on the site again, especially if I win.

So i was looking at this coming months travel schedule and it looks like maybe 2I weeks before I can set that appointment for the straight razor shave. :cursing: Well, anyway, that will give me the extra time to mess with the system. I went ahead and got a bump fighter handle (tossed those odd blades) and a set of Trac II blades (CVS branded ). We will see how that goes Thursday morning. If anyone knows where to get a cheap injector razor quickly (ebay probably )get I might try that as a travel razor too. I think it is permitted in airports but i need to do a bit more research. I want something cheap enough that if it is confiscated I wont be too upset.

Is anyone here a long term user of these products? I'd like to know what they think of hydrolast after using it for a year or so.

Top Bottom