What's new

Humidor for DE storage....

Hey All, I was looking for a somewhat stylish way to store my DE razors when they aren't in use and decided to re-purpose an old humidor for the job. I know we all love pictures, so here are a few. Enjoy...
IMG_0576.JPG
IMG_0577.JPG
IMG_0578.JPG
IMG_0579.JPG

Cool idea. I'll admit when I read the subject line, I was thinking about "Okay, what do use today. USA, England, Germany, Cuban... Where did I put that cutter?"

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Humidity stays right at 55. No signs of rust or patina. Looking to get some desiccant but in general it works out just fine. Also the fact that I can lock it is real nice since my son is starting to get taller.

Looks great. Just be careful with the humidity. Don't want any signs of rust.
Yup, I'll be keeping a close eye out. I've put a few silica packets in there just in case. The razors are left to dry for a few days before going into the box too.

If you know anyone that's buying a new computer, most computers come in a huge plastic bag that has a large desiccant pack. The packs can be refreshed if you're concerned about their ability to hold moisture - there are instructions online, but roughly you put them in the oven on low heat for X number of hours. If you get a bunch of them, you can refresh them all at once, then put all but one into a zip-loc bag for storage. Then cycle them through the box until you get to the last one, and repeat the process.

If you want to go fancy, you can buy bags that change colour to tell you when you need to bake them.

Well, I guess I'll be getting out my old humidor. Nice idea! Just for general information, there should be little to no humidity in there unless you use a wet humidity sponge. Way less than keeping them in a humid bathroom, with out the wet sponge it's just another cool display case.

The packs can be refreshed if you're concerned about their ability to hold moisture - there are instructions online, but roughly you put them in the oven on low heat for X number of hours.
You can microwave desiccant too. Just don't put a lot of loose silica gel in a non-microvave safe dish because it may crack it (learned from experience).
If it has the blue indicator it's pretty easy to tell when it's done.

Smack my head. I was wondering where to store my straights. I have like 6 of those empty humidors downstairs. Doofus is a moron.

Smack my head. I was wondering where to store my straights. I have like 6 of those empty humidors downstairs. Doofus is a moron.

Wait.. Don't you mean that doofus is a doofus?

6 humidors? Smoked a lot of cigars? Going to sell the others humidors in the B/S/T forum? :)

Whoa, what a great idea. Those look really classy, fellas.

Also, an idea for those that are looking for desiccants: go to a shoe store and ask the clerk if you can have some of those packets from their boxes. They throw them away by the handful.
Additionally, there are products you can buy at just about any hardware store or grocery: Damp Rid or anything similar is just a big container of the same thing that's in those little packets. Just open it up and wrap a little bundle of the stuff in cheesecloth.

Top Bottom