What's new

How To Make A Blade Bank For Under 50 Cents….

Well, after lurking here for a few days and waiting for my membership to get activated, I decided to make a blade bank out of an old empty pill bottle.

Being a fan of retro-style packaging and ads, I decided to make something inspired by old razor packaging and old Gillette ads. This is what I came up with in the end:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Let me know what you guys think!

I took your advice, but with a bit of a twist. I made the blade bank as described, but covered it with chia-pet seeds. Hopefully, in a few weeks I'll have a Chia-Blade Bank:clap:! I'll post pics if it works!

:lol::lol::lol:

I forgot to water the friggin thing and my wife put it outside where the birds ate all the seeds...Oh well, at least I now know how to make the "Bird Feeder Blade Bank" :oops:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Just found this thread - Great Idea!!! Thanks Mate, I will get on my blade bank right away!

I was just thinking that some mayo/tartar sauce squeeze bottles (Miracle Whip for one) have slots in them rather than holes for the product to exit.

I wonder if the slot is wide enough for a blade...

PS: OK, before anyone gets up in arms, I know Miracle Whip is not mayo :biggrin:

Not sure if this was mentioned, but using a Juicy Juice can would get you a friggin' huge bank.

I wonder if anyone has tried this with a can of solid stuff before thinking..

As the guy in the Guiness ad says, "Brilliant!". Very well done. I, however, am a cheap SOB (senile old bachelor?????). I place my used DE blades in a childproof prescription container given to me when I get my meds at the pharmacy. It's unobtrusive and can't be easily opened by inqusitive little pests, er, relatives. I put in the blades until it looks full and then just toss it out. They're cheap and plentiful.

This will be my attempt to one-up Ray... How to make a blade bank for free:

Get a classy flask
proxy.php

How to use it...
so you have your blade:
proxy.php

flex the blade by pinching your fingers and fit it into the mouth of the bottle:
proxy.php

Finally, push it through the bottle neck:
proxy.php

proxy.php

They won't fall out, you have a classy blade bank, and you can admire all the blades you have gone through in yester-shaves:
proxy.php

Note: as long as you don't slide your finger over the blade, you wont cut yourself. I have never cut myself doing this and you can see how many times I've done it. Enjoy!

This will be my attempt to one-up Ray... !

:huh: Hey, if you feel the need.....:biggrin:

BTW, I'd hate to see what would happen if you dropped that glass bottle half full of metal blades.....

I'm thinking it would not be pretty, heck, just bumping the sink with it might not prove to nice.....

Haven't read the thread, but what I did for a blade bank is take an empty claussen pickle jar, punch a slot in the metal top with a screwdriver and voila' a blade bank. Which after eating the pickles, cost less than fifty cents. Works great.

after making my big blade bank i thought i should thank my father for getting me into DE shaving so i made him a blade bank the way ~ray~ made his. i also made a 2nd because i bought 2 cans and was bored here they are my dads has his name on it the other just a random design and on the top a taped an old razor to it and panted it then took the razor off
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Great ideas, I went to Home Depot and bought a $2.97 empty quart paint can. Cut a hole in the top and was ready to go.

I think the can idea is the best since the container doesn't open and the can is made out of metal so you can just throw the whole thing in the metal recycling bin when it's full. That said, if I wanted another piece of functional art, I'd go with the glass bottle, damn that's pretty! :biggrin:

Top Bottom