What's new

How To Make A Blade Bank For Under 50 Cents….

Well I made my own blade bank out of a planters nut jar, have a look:

proxy.php

proxy.php

For you loose-leaf tea drinkers out there, just repurpose a tea tin (free, once you've drunk the tea), or you can buy an empty tin from your local tea shop for a buck or less. One quick jab with a chef's knife thru the top and, voila, instant blade bank.

For you loose-leaf tea drinkers out there, just repurpose a tea tin (free, once you've drunk the tea), or you can buy an empty tin from your local tea shop for a buck or less. One quick jab with a chef's knife thru the top and, voila, instant blade bank.

Man thats a great idea! My tin of Oolong tea is almost gone

Great idea guys, the reason behind the broth can is that it is sealed and there is no way for anyone to open (other than a can opener) and get hurt. Glass jars can very easily brake.
Of course I have children so there's on reason and the second is so none of our recycling (waste management) engineers can get hurt when picking up the waste for disposal.

An alternate approach would be to use a hacksaw to cut a horizontal slot in the side of the can just below the top, rather than cutting the slot in the lid itself. This way, when the blade bank is full, you can seal it by hitting the top with a hammer.

An alternate approach would be to use a hacksaw to cut a horizontal slot in the side of the can just below the top, rather than cutting the slot in the lid itself. This way, when the blade bank is full, you can seal it by hitting the top with a hammer.

I just flipped a canopener upside down. It cut a slit right underneath the lip and was smooth to the touch.

I took an empty Williams Sonoma peppercorn jar, Dremelled a slit in the lid, wrapped the whole glass jar in black electrical tape and voila' - blade bank.

So can blades be put in the same recycling as cans? I should make a call. I'd hate to find out there were people sorting this stuff by hand.
And I wonder if the can would start to smell at all. I suppose a little spray of bleach or something might be wise?

Went made mine, the can was dry. I change blades before I shave. the old blade is dry as it was not used since the previous day. I haven't smelled anything yet.

The odds of a blade finding it's way out of the slot is pretty low. Now if it was a glass jar or a can that has a top that comes off, or glass that can break, well the odds are rather high that the lid will manage to pop off or glass will shatter somewhere down the line.
Solid can, no worries....

I'm liking the idea of a slot on the side of the can, seems like it would be easier to optimize space - especially since these things are so expensive :biggrin:
as it gets fuller, the blades would already be flat and would go in without much problem - but then, if the can fell, it may be easier for them to come out of a slot on the side....I think I'll just keep throwing my old blades in the cat litter box until more research is done....

I didn't think about the glass....hmmmm I may have to find something else that may work. For now the one I am using will work.

Or better yet, you can stick the tin can on a gas BBQ, let cook for 5 minutes with BBQ lid down. I made a few BBQ smokers out of soup cans, tuna cans, dries out all moisture and leaves a very cool dark brown/black finish. You can still paint the outside if need be, but everything inside the can will be burned off, like residue soup broth, etc.
Excellent.. thx for that (and of course, the original idea on this thread Thirdeye!) :0)

Great idea guys, the reason behind the broth can is that it is sealed and there is no way for anyone to open (other than a can opener) and get hurt. Glass jars can very easily brake.
Of course I have children so there's on reason and the second is so none of our recycling (waste management) engineers can get hurt when picking up the waste for disposal.

Dude, wow, I did this without even thinking and then thought about it after I read your response and thought, "wow, good point."; I used to work at Barnes and Noble and got a tin of the Orange Tea. ( I thought it was gross by the way but smells great ) When i was done...I read some place else that you could just poke a hole in the top of a tin can that you might already have and viola. So, just I guess as a subconcious precaution, I epoxyed (spelling on that?) the lid on the bank first. But like I said, wow good point. I just didn't it so it wouldn't accidentally spill and break open but I didn't think about city workers opening the can. Geeze!!! Next time too...I'm going to bust a hole in the side, glue the lid on then when I'm done use a hammer to close the hole...that should be a good idea. And the tins from B&N are sort of artsy so that's sort of fun.

Chris

I think I'll try this but instead of going all "American Psycho" with the knife, I'll just get out my dremel and a cutting wheel and make the slot in the top. It's a very nice post with great pictures, I would have never thought of doing something so simple. A very nice project indeed.

I think I'll try this but instead of going all "American Psycho" with the knife, I'll just get out my dremel and a cutting wheel and make the slot in the top. It's a very nice post with great pictures, I would have never thought of doing something so simple. A very nice project indeed.

Yes, I could have used my Dremel to do it as well but not everyone has a Dremel so I thought this was more obtainable by many.

Thanks for your kind comments and adding to this thread.

If you guys are worried about moisture in the can, you can always poke some small holes on the top around the slot... it will let evaporation happen easier, and the blades won't come out the small holes. (should keep from any smell as any liquids will evaporate easier)

Top Bottom