What's new

How many shaves do you get from one blade?

How many shaves before throwing away a blade?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I voted 4, but its a slightly stacked question because it depends on the blade. But for me with my daily setup (Slim adjustable with a Persona Red) 4 is the ticket. I could do more, but I like a fresh blade after that.

Usually get 4 shaves from a blade, sometimes I'll push it to a 5th if the 4th was still smooth...that's with Astra Platinums or Merkur if I have those laying around.

Current Personna 74 didn't even break in until 5-6 shaves and tonight was shave #24 and yet another BBS..
Yes, they are that good and I will be bummed when I use my 2 up.

I can't vote as my pick is not available: "10 or more". I consistently get 2 weeks of shaves out of my blades. Current favorites are Ladas, Voshkods and Rapira with a Super Iridium now and then and a Polsilver for good measure. But pssst ... I use a secret sharpening device called magnet, don't tell anybody :lol:.

Since I only use SE's and straights I can't vote in your poll.

For Gems and Injector's - 7-12 per blade
For Straights - 2 to 3 months on a hone.

Dorco = 6
Derby = 8 (yeah, I was surprised by that, too)
Feather = 6

I use a blade until it starts to pull when shaving ATG. I have wire whiskers, so I'm surprised I got 8 shaves out of Derby. I think it's partly due to finding the right razor with them. When I tried Derby blades with one razor, they hurt the first time I used them. Tried a different razor, and they work great!

I can use my Feathers in only one razor, my least aggressive Tech razor (pre-40's).

As everyone else says I think it depends on the person/blade. I shave my head and face; so far I have had the following.

Personna (blue/yellow Israel) - 4
Derby - 4 (if the blade is ok to begin with)

I just put in my first Asco blue box and man I was pleased with it. Curious to see how long it last.

Depends on which blade I use, commonly 4 to 7 shaves. The longest running are Personna Lab Blues, followed by Gillette 7 o'clock yellows.

Top Bottom