What's new

How many shaves do you get from one blade?

How many shaves before throwing away a blade?

Results are only viewable after voting.
2 shaves for Feather, 3 shaves for Astra SP or Personna Blue, maybe 4 or 5 for Crystal or Gillette Super Thin (Thai).

Currently using a Personna 74, has maybe 15 shaves on it so far.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I was changing my Shark SC's after six (6) shaves, but after realizing that there is a direct correlation between ingrown hairs and dull blades (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/272684-Correlation-between-ingrown-hairs-and-dull-blades?highlight=), I've switched to changing my blades after two (2), shaves and wow…my shaves definitely improved (less ‘weepers’ and ingrown hairs), which is very important for us men of color.
proxy.php

Because blades are so cheap, there’s no need to try to extend blade use. Also, I entreat those who have doubts...try it....it works and
change your blades more often. :thumbsup:

attachment.php
“A razor [blade] can’t be sharpened on apiece of velvet”. Author Unknown

Last edited:
I get two uses out of every blade... Blades are cheap enough, so no need to treat them like carts.
Starting to think this is my best option thus far. No matter what I use, use #3 is always rough to some degree. Still going thru the grand experimentation (Personnas - you are next), but even my favorites [Feather, 7 O'clock Yellow] are pretty much good for two goes & that's about it. I could stretch it a bit, but not worth the burn. Even the most expensive blade is cheap enough to warrant the frequent changeover.

3-4 shaves is it for me. Maybe I could get more, but the only way to tell if a blade is done is if it starts irritating my face, and its just not worth it when my favorite blades are about $0.12 each. 2 fresh blades a week is less than a quarter.

Though I'm new to this, I'm discovering I like a sharp blade (the Feather) because, with tough whiskers and sensitive skin, it's less irritating not to have to do endless touch up. However, despite the tough beard, I can get many shaves from my blades. Not sure how many; I've been tossing after five. So far, no problem through 5 shaves except for one blade -- the 7am, which pulled from the moment it went in my razor until the moment it came out. Other than Feathers, I'm liking Astras quite a lot.

3. Any more than this and I start to get real irritation from every blade I have tried so far. Feathers only last 2 shave for me. It was the same 3 shaves with carts but with much more irritation. Luckily DE blades cost almost nothing and provide a much nicer shave. :clap:

When I used a DE I could get three three pass shaves per blade side, I found I could push it to 4 if need be but why bother as blades are dirt cheap.

It depends on the brand of blade for me.
- Derby and Wilkinson Sword - 2 to 3 shaves
- ASR and Merkur - 5 shaves
- Gillette Rubei (a chinese made blade that my wife brought me from the Philippines) - 3 shaves

Three or four, then out the door. The blades are the most affordable component in our shave kits, and at the same time can really affect the outcome of the shave. :wink2:

I'm still figuring this out. I use a blade until it doesn't feel comfortable anymore. This has been anywhere from 1 up to 6 shaves.

I headshave as well so for de's it's a 3 and out rule no matter what brand.SE blades usually 7 also including headshaves.I just got a Cobra Classic and a few Schicks so I dont know for sure how many shaves I'll get from them.

Depends on the blade.
I usually use Personna Labs, and they last longer than anything. I get 5 to 7 out of them.
I also like Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge (yellow), but they only last about 3 shaves. That's why the Personna's beat the Gillettes for me. They feel about the same, but the Pesonna's last longer.

Top Bottom