What's new

How Many Adjustable Razors?

Does anyone know how many different models of adjustable razors have been made? All manufacturers, all countries, and all time periods? Can we start naming them, or can someone give me a definitive list? And I mean razors with an adjustment mechanism, or dial, not interchangeable heads

In DE razors I know of The Merkur Progress, (modified to Mergress sometimes) Futur, Vision. The Gillette Fatboy, Slim, and Black Beauty, the recently launched Parker Variant, but what others are or were there? Oh of course the Ming Shi 2000s, a Futur copy.

Thanks for helping me with this one.

Do they need a number dial ? The first Gillettes and Autostrops were adjustable.

The Ben Hur/Apollo Mikron (with numbers) started production in the late '30s. The Progress came in '55. PAL Adjustable in 62, Schick I believe in 65.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The Segal made an adjustable

proxy.php

Hi,

The Walbusch B5 was an adjustable Slant. Almost impossible to find these days. I think a Gillette bottom dial would make for an easier search....

In the SE world, both Schick Eversharp and PAL made adjustable injectors.

Stan

Wizamet W-10, W-11.
Consul Russian Slim clone
Erfa/Brillant black handled adjustable
Merkur Vision
Ideal Russian super abjustable clone
Wilkinson Empire?
Gibbs
Personna micromatic
The model T from Rockwell (the Valdamort razor) maybe in July.

Cheers
John

I'm surprised there haven't been more adjustable razors over the decades. I find them to be a very major development in razor design and performance. If any of us ever do find ourselves on that proverbial desert isle with a choice of only one razor for a lifetime, a favorite adjustable would be hard to beat, all issues considered.

I'm surprised there haven't been more adjustable razors over the decades. I find them to be a very major development in razor design and performance. If any of us ever do find ourselves on that proverbial desert isle with a choice of only one razor for a lifetime, a favorite adjustable would be hard to beat, all issues considered.
Well we tend to project our own views to some extent, I have a few razors I could settle down with, none of them adjustables. I'm somewhat of a broken record on this but the Fat Boy is not everyone's favorite razor.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wizamet W-10, W-11.
Consul Russian Slim clone
Erfa/Brillant black handled adjustable
Merkur Vision
Ideal Russian super abjustable clone
Wilkinson Empire?
Gibbs
Personna micromatic
The model T from Rockwell (the Valdamort razor) maybe in July.

Cheers
John
Thanks to all this was very helpful. did the Valiant a Personna copy ever come to market? Is anyone selling the Russian adjustable razors anymore? Thanks in advance.

+1.

Thanks to all this was very helpful. did the Valiant a Personna copy ever come to market? Is anyone selling the Russian adjustable razors anymore? Thanks in advance.
There are a few on eBay as Buy It Now's.
The Rubin is also a nice razor. Like a super adjustable on steroids.

Cheers
John

Hi,

I have been settled down with a Fasan DoubleSlant for several years now. Nothing adjustable about it.

Stan

If memory serves, some of the Wilkinson wedge-blade razors could be adjusted by moving the roller bar; the head/handle angle could be adusted as well . The Auto Strop models A and B adjusted by moving the blade release tab to change the blade exposure.

Sorry for a stupid question, but I couldn't find Parker Variant Adjustable on Parker website. Is that why it's "Variant"? It's not made by Parker even though it really looks like one? :/

If memory serves, some of the Wilkinson wedge-blade razors could be adjusted by moving the roller bar; the head/handle angle could be adusted as well . The Auto Strop models A and B adjusted by moving the blade release tab to change the blade exposure.

I have all three versions (I know of) of the Wilkinson wedge blade safety razors and all have the adjustable height roller comb. I believe there may be a a couple of minor variations of the generation 1 and generation 2 Wilkinsons. The Gen 1 is the tall blade version and the Generation 2 is the first short or narrow height wedge blade version.

Sorry for a stupid question, but I couldn't find Parker Variant Adjustable on Parker website. Is that why it's "Variant"? It's not made by Parker even though it really looks like one? :/

Maggard lists it and it is in stock as this is posted.

Top Bottom