What's new

How good are you are shaving with a straight razor?

Do you guys find it's a bit easier to shave after a few days as opposed to after just one day? It seems a bit easier to me but maybe that's just because I can see the stubble a bit easier. I have no trouble shaving with a DE on a daily basis but when I shave with a straight I seem to like to wait until there is a little more to shave.

Do you guys find it's a bit easier to shave after a few days as opposed to after just one day? It seems a bit easier to me but maybe that's just because I can see the stubble a bit easier. I have no trouble shaving with a DE on a daily basis but when I shave with a straight I seem to like to wait until there is a little more to shave.
I find it to be the same either way tbh. I don't look at the stubble when I shave, so seeing it makes no difference to me.

I find I get better straight razor shaves after using a straight consistently for an extended period of time rather than periodic switching between DE and straight. I suppose it has something to do with muscle memory or refining technique.

I've been straight shaving for almost 3 years and I haven't shaved with anything else since...
I never got into the DE "cleanup" afterward. I was going all in.
I can't see me ever using a DE on my face again...
Not because I get better shaves from a straight...just because I like shaving with a straight better...
Knowing how slow and nervous I was on my first ever straight shave I feel like I'm almost mindless about it now...it does bite me from time to time though when I get a bit careless.
I still use DE on my head shaves though so my DE's aren't collecting dust anyway....I suppose I get the best of both worlds.

If we shave at the intersection of whisker and skin, what does it matter how long the whisker is? I think people think they get "better" shaves skipping days because they're shaving with too much pressure and need a day or two for their skin to heal due to poor technique.

If we shave at the intersection of whisker and skin, what does it matter how long the whisker is? I think people think they get "better" shaves skipping days because they're shaving with too much pressure and need a day or two for their skin to heal due to poor technique.
Not in my case. My face feels fine. There is just very little to shave off. It's more likely that the greater satisfaction of waiting a day or two is that the results are more obvious.

I have tried to use a straight many times and to be honest they scare the hell out of me. This morning for some reason I decided to feel the fear and do it regardless, even if I made pink foam.

The result was actually ok, I shaved the whole face only two small nicks and of course no burn or irritation, finished with my favorite DE the Gillette Old Type.

I had about 3 days of growth and think I will be easier tomorrow when the hair is shorter.

I have tried to use a straight many times and to be honest they scare the hell out of me. This morning for some reason I decided to feel the fear and do it regardless, even if I made pink foam.

The result was actually ok, I shaved the whole face only two small nicks and of course no burn or irritation, finished with my favorite DE the Gillette Old Type.

I had about 3 days of growth and think I will be easier tomorrow when the hair is shorter.
I felt exactly the same the first time I used a straight. Now it's a smaller dose of fear, which is good because it makes sure I am focused.

Sounds like something to work towards Dan, at the moment I will be happy with shaving as much of my face as possible without doing any damage to myself. I don't mind finishing off with another razor.
I hope to be able to get a good shave every day with the straight ... takes about 100 days to get it all together I hear so only 99 to go :)

The only circumstance in which I would advise anyone considering shaving exclusively with straights is to be able to do either your own honing or have enough razors on hand to allow you to send one out for honing service when needed. Many entering into the world of straights are starting out of the gate with inadequately honed razors which seriously extends the learning curve.

I shave 6 to 7 days a week exclusively with straights. I get near BBS shaves every day. I only do 2 passes, due to limited time M-F. Weekend shaves, I usually have time for a 3rd. I could move faster and get a third pass in every morning, but I don't see a reason to do so. I know I shouldn't say it, but I haven't cut myself in probably 6 or 7 months. Speeding up the passes would probably change that. It takes me maybe an extra 5 minutes for straight shaves over DE. Mostly because of stropping. I don't think I will ever go back to DE.

Oh and sticking to one straight razor has helped me immensely with my technique. I use the same one every day and picked up some stones, so that I can hone it on my own.

Straights only for me for at least the past 10 years. I have been sporting a VanDyke for the last 5 or so. Not sure what the criteria are for judging how good of a straight razor shaver one might be. I hone my own, rarely get weepers, almost never cut myself or get razor burn, so I guess I do alright, heh.

I jumped from carts to SR, and have been using them for over two years. I wouldn't say that I have BBS every time (specially on a patch on my neck) but it works for me.

Never used a DE... wound't invest in one, but if PIFed, I would surely try it.

I went with SR 3 years ago and am getting closer shaves with less irritation than with DE. That was my experience anyway. Never did use DE/SE touch ups but I know many do from reading other threads.

I'm decent at best I mostly have a tough time under my jaw line by my ears if I'm lucky enough I don't have to break out the de, either way I prefer the straight when I have the time in a day to commit

I started SR shaving back in July and I used them exclusively for 3 months and was able to get a great shave after about a month. My problem is I really enjoy DE and SE shaving as well, so recently I find myself alternating among the three. Some days I am in a rush, so I will use a DE or SE. I generally use a SR on those days when I can take my time and enjoy the process. For me it's all about the relaxation and enjoyment.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Aboard ship, I shave anywhere between every three days and every two weeks. At home I shave every day. Been straight shaving for nearly 20 years but only got really really good when I found this forum a few years ago, TBH. Having so many guys to compare notes with and to learn from is a big help. I do occasionally use other types of razors... I have a gold adjustable Aristocrat and a gold adjustable Executive that I use once a month or so, and I like old wedge blade safety razors of various types, leaning heavily toward the Rapide, Wilkinson Dunhill, and the Kampfe/Star lathercatchers. However right now I am on a ship and did not bring any straights with me this time... just my Executive which I haven't used yet this trip, and a pair of cheap shavettes which are getting all the action. I get tired of carrying a bunch of razors and strops and honing supplies and balsa and diamond paste and stuff. I get about 20 shaves out of a whole Feather blade in the shavettes, or a bit less. Been on this ship since September and I think I am on my third blade. I do prefer straight shaving but I get tired of damaged gear. Most of my jobs are flyouts, and strops, both leather and balsa, take a beating in a seabag on a long multi hop plane trip. I have done this before, and if anything, it helps improve my straight shaves. If you can shave without bleeding with a cheap DE blade shavette, you can shave with a straight without butchering yourself, too.

I have not shaved much with any sort of straight for about two years. I am at the point of needing to purchase a good hone(s) and learning how to maintain the edge.

For a while I shaved with a Feather AC, getting reasonably close shaves without weepers and without spending too much time on the task. Then I tried one of the better shavette style razors but kept getting too much irritation on my neck so switched back to DE where I remain for the time being.

Top Bottom