What's new

How good are you are shaving with a straight razor?

How good would you say you are at shaving with a straight razor? I know some of you shave with nothing but a straight and are presumably pretty good.

I'm guessing that a majority shave with DE's and straights and sometimes don't use a straight for periods of time and then come back (I'm in that category).

I like a close shave so if my straight shave doesn't quite measure up I'll finish up with a DE. Therefore, I'd have to say my technique is pretty good but not great. :) The chin area is the hardest for me.

I guess what I'm really wondering is if it's common to need to touch-up with a DE for those who don't use a straight every day or do some of you infrequent straight shavers manage to get a decent shave with no DE touch-ups?

I pretty much shave with a stright 99.9% of the time, I only use a DE/SE vintage on Sundays for my Vintage Old Spice Day other than that it's a straight the othe r6 days a week and pretty much have no issues, have only been using one for 2 years and some of the straights i have give me a better shave than others but all in all they are great shaves.

@seattleshaver

I used a DE for cleanup religiously when I first started using a straight. It took me a couple months to develop a consistent routine with a straight. I have some nasty scars on my chin from a bad accident as a teen and could never get close to these with a straight .
I grew a goatee and that solved the problem :biggrin1:

I shave every evening with a straight and get very good results without the need for DE. My guess is your correct about the fact that DE cleanup is popular among Beginning straight users or guys that use them infrequently.

I have tried to go straight two times. Lasted about 2-3 weeks each time. I have backslid to DE's for the ease and shave quality. I need to just suck it up and go straight , but so far, too lazy.

@seattleshaver

I used a DE for cleanup religiously when I first started using a straight. It took me a couple months to develop a consistent routine with a straight. I have some nasty scars on my chin from a bad accident as a teen and could never get close to these with a straight .
I grew a goatee and that solved the problem :biggrin1:

I shave every evening with a straight and get very good results without the need for DE. My guess is your correct about the fact that DE cleanup is popular among Beginning straight users or guys that use them infrequently.
Or those who don't have goatees :001_smile

I haven't used a DE in a couple of years; the last time I thought I wasted a shave. Shaving with a straight is a learned skill. Using anything else postpones full realization of that skill.

I am in the newb category when it comes to straights. I tried the straight a couple shaves and then quit. I think i dulled the blade from poor stropping technique and I did not want to ship my razor off to be honed and then turn around and dull it again from newb stropping. Almost a year later, i got a norton 4k/8k. I honed my straights and apparently something has clicked with my stropping technique because they are staying sharp after each shave and stropping now. I have been shaving with the same straights (mostly the sight unseen i got from larry at whipped dogs) for a little over 2months now with good results.

I was using gillette de razors and feather ac. So maybe the feather helped me transition to straights, the straights are still pretty different imho.

Also, i hace a goatee (well, it's actually a vandyke i guess since i have a mustache too). So the chin ares isn't a problem. I would have to develope my technique in that area some more if I chose to shave it.

So my de razors are put away. I will probably use them from time to time simply because I have them, but i am enjoying my journey with straights too much to ever go back for good.

It's funny because my twin brother felt i was wasting my time when i switched to using de razors and he thinks I'm wasting even more time switching to straights. I have tried to get him to understand that it isn't a chore to shave anymore. It's now a relaxing, almost zin like time to enjoy, but he just scoffs at me and says, "Whatever." His loss I guess.

I have four jobs, and sometimes a SR shave isn't in the works due to time. My evening routine is me recreation though, especially in winter. I use a SR on my face and DE on my scalp. Really need to get my Wester Bros. honed.

I probably don't have any room to talk on this because I've only been using a straight for two weeks now but I would say I'm "ok" at using a straight. Never used a DE before, but I don't see myself returning to a cartridge razor from my straight. I wouldn't say I get a perfectly BBS shave, but each shave is cleaner than the next. And I've always had solid results.
I'm just really enjoying using the straight, and want to improve my technique, which is why I only use my straight.

Like the rest I shave with my straight everyday if possible [sometimes its just not safe at 4am....lol] as I believe its a learnt skill that requires muscle memory to become proficient....and since my memory is getting old it just takes alot more work....lol.

I really enjoy shaving with my SRs. I'm just not always awake enough or I don't have enough time for a proper 3-3.5 pass SR shave. When I grab a SR, I like to commit. I generally try to shave with only the SR. I try not to touch up with anything. I haven't shaved with a SR for over two weeks, because my current SE blade won't die. I'd like to see how many shaves I can get out of it.

I generally shave with a straight about five days each week. I have been at it about eight months and I feel like I am getting better, but I am still not completely there yet. I can still get a closer shave on the few days I shave with a DE or SE. That being said, I enjoy my straight shaves much more. Part of it is the esthetic pleasure from sharp steel on my face, but also, I feel like while they may not be quite as close, my straight shaves make my face feel so much better. I never get any of the razor burn or irritation with a straight that I still can get with a safety razor from time to time.

I intend to continue practicing and using a straight as often as I can.

I'm still new, perhaps only between 10-29 shaves in. But my last shave I got a DFS with out a single drop of blood. That's a rarity even with my DE. So I'd say I'm figuring out what works best for my face. Which only wants to make me use them more often.

When I started (June) I just used a straight three days a week (Fri. night, Sat. and Sun) to get the process down. Did that for a month. Starting in July I've used a straight every day with no DE touchups. I probably learned more my first week of using a straight every day than I did in a month of using a straight just on weekends.

I think I've used a DE twice in the past... eight years? Straight otherwise. I still hack my upper lip up pretty good from time to time, and hate shaving my chin... but that's because/why (not sure which), I shave around a goatee 9/10 of the time. Everywhere else I'd say I shave about as well as anyone could.

I have a goatee and a chin strap of a beard so i dont have to deal with those hard to shave areas. I picked up a straight three weeks ago and havent touched a DE sense. I didnt do touch-ups with a DE as i wanted to master the straight razor. Ive cut myself twice now on the neck but that gives me something to work around and learn to handle the blade even better. Ive gotten three shaves now where i apply Alum and feel nothing from it. Thats comfort and makes me smile wide. Ive gotten next to bbs shaves. So close but not there yet. I'll master this shinny, sharp straight razor soon and i encouage anyone to do it. Practice and attention to angle and pressure is all it takes.

I used to say I'll give it a try some day but I'm not ready yet. Then i got my hands on the pass-around box and will not go back to DE unless my hands or eyes give out on me.
Plus what is more man-ly than putting that sharp blade to your neck and having no fear!

Yeah, were it not for the upper lip and chin I'd have no problem either! :)

I'm going to have to make sure my blade is extra sharp for those areas.

I broke two ribs fifteen days ago and had to shave with a DE (Pearl open comb) three days when I began to look too much like a bum. The shaves were good BBS's but not as good as with a straight razor and they definitely weren't as enjoyable.

There's no going back once you go straight. [emoji39] Just hang on to your straight razor and within a year you'll have reached both nirvana and nerdvana.

I admit its like cheeting, having a small beard but ive been sporting this look sense 1985 and my wife wouldnt know who i was if i shaved. I might get shot walking in the door.
Ha.

I might have to give it a try. Shave the entire face, but ill have to wait of a friday night so the wife has a chance to get used to it so i dont get shot walking in the door on monday.

Last edited:
Top Bottom